Author Topic: Damaged repaired tacho timing cover  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
Damaged repaired tacho timing cover
« on: 26.07. 2018 20:09 »
Not sure I have done the right thing but I had to act quick to buy a damaged repaired A10 timing cover. The mating face has been damaged and repaired as per the pic attached. The seller says it will seal with modern gasket seal. Cost me £50 plus £4-50p postage. What do you guys recon and any suggestions apart from fling it *sad2*f?   

Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
Re: Damaged repaired tacho timing cover
« Reply #1 on: 26.07. 2018 20:11 »
Another pic.

Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
Goucho Marx 1959.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.07. 2018 20:16 »
I'd gently use a fine file, (across opposite case edges to keep it flat) to take off high spots, then after cleaning up use Blue Hylomar on the gasket.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.07. 2018 20:22 »
Agree with GB, it's on the top of the case, on the dynamo chain housing so should not have any oil in there, the danger would be that the repair is high so as GB said file it down to level, also you could fit a belt drive so the chamber would have noting in at all
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #4 on: 26.07. 2018 20:40 »
Cheers guys at least it looks like I haven't bought a lemon, fingers crossed. *roll*

Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960

Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.07. 2018 21:26 »
Use a pane of glass and stick wet & dry to it, then rub the cover over it to flatten it off or check for high spots.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 26.07. 2018 22:02 »

It looks like a repair I did with I think a similar product to JB (never used JB)  to repair leaky screw bosses in my primary case, and that worked ok once I figured it out.....finish off as above

I had a problem with the interface between the Dynamo drive chamber and oil pump chamber not being wide enough/aligning, they overlapped about half and half, so had one rebuilt.

Under the blue towel/cloth, I can see what looks like a brass/bronze sundial face similar to one I have/had....any chance of a better look? Mine has a short verse on it....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #8 on: 26.07. 2018 22:04 »

It looks like a repair I did with I think a similar product to JB (never used JB)  to repair leaky screw bosses in my primary case, and that worked ok once I figured it out.....finish off as above

I had a problem with the interface between the Dynamo drive chamber and oil pump chamber not being wide enough/aligning, they overlapped about half and half, so had one rebuilt.

Under the blue towel/cloth, I can see what looks like a brass/bronze sundial face similar to one I have/had....any chance of a better look? Mine has a short verse on it....

I don't have the cover as yet as I only bought it today. and I have taken the pic's off his listing, I hope to have it midweek.

Goucho Marx 1959.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 26.07. 2018 22:12 »
Use a pane of glass and stick wet & dry to it, then rub the cover over it to flatten it off or check for high spots.

Yes this really does  work but file it first otherwise you will take too much of the bottom and end up not square
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 26.07. 2018 23:15 »

......I don't have the cover as yet as I only bought it today. and I have taken the pic's off his listing, .....

Bugga- oh well just curious if it was the same...*conf2*

Re filing; when I did mine, I also filed *along* the face  very carefully to match it to either side of the offending area(s), and occasionally using the other side as a guide, but in addition,with the timing cover, I did it was mainly because the cover was warped, and I had it nice to a straight-edge but having had it off several times since, it seems to revert to warp-mode anyway....it doesn't generally leak, so am now leaving it alone.... *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #11 on: 27.07. 2018 01:30 »
I used JB Weld on my primary case to fix damage a bit like that and it worked good for me, been going now for 4 or 5 years and still all good.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 27.07. 2018 11:59 »
I used JB Weld on my primary case to fix damage a bit like that and it worked good for me, been going now for 4 or 5 years and still all good.
Peter
i agree with the JB weld. The color is a med to dark grey when dried- so the match is not far off aluminum.

You can file it, shape it, whatever. It is an expoxy.

Its a step above old socks covered with silicone.

There is also always the option of welding it up, machining flat, and getting polished too.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #13 on: 30.07. 2018 20:49 »
My chaincase arrived yesterday and in truth it's not as bad as I thought. There are no marks on the front and the sealing edge isn't as bad as I thought. I recon a bit of elbow grease on a flat bed with wet and dry will improve it further. Thanks for all the help guys.  *smiley4*

Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 30.07. 2018 22:33 »

.... i agree with the JB weld..........It is an expoxy..............

So is it a two-pack kind of thing?
 As I've said I've never used it but assumed it was some kind of gas-torch melty-weldy kind of thing, which is what the stuff I used is  *conf2*
Australia