Author Topic: Damaged repaired tacho timing cover  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Re: Damaged repaired tacho timing cover
« Reply #15 on: 31.07. 2018 01:33 »

.... i agree with the JB weld..........It is an expoxy..............

So is it a two-pack kind of thing?
 As I've said I've never used it but assumed it was some kind of gas-torch melty-weldy kind of thing, which is what the stuff I used is  *conf2*

Yes two pack google it and have a look.

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 31.07. 2018 13:18 »

.... i agree with the JB weld..........It is an expoxy..............

Yes, comes in a couple of small tubes, mix A and B until you have a sloppy mess.

Do not buy the "5 minute" stuff, it does not seem to work that well.

Hardest part is leaving it alone until it dries.

This is not amazing, it wont fix everything, its not a snake oil. Its just an epoxy that is about the right color and holds pretty well.

It has saved some sealing edges that were damaged, because you can cut them back to flat for the gasket.

Sealed cracks in cases, its not going to hold high stress parts together, but it may seal in the oil.

Even seen it used to repair a threaded hole until it could be fixed the right way.

On the other hand, I heard stories of a guy who tried to fix a broken handlebar riser with this and hurt himself badly.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #17 on: 31.07. 2018 13:27 »
There will be little stress on the mating surface (I would hope) so providing I get it nice and flat and use a good modern gasket seal all should be good.

Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 31.07. 2018 14:47 »
 Ok so it sounds much like the I think the Selleys 'Liquid Steel' that I used to patch my Gutzzi rocker cover, and then had powder coated...also the fuel tank, and the fuel tank Of my Hilux, and various other things....I patched a primary case inner on my Daytona with Devcon back in the '70's but that's not cheap these days, as f it ever was.....but could drill and re-tap threads in it too...the melty-weldy stuff I used more recently is called 'Ultra-Bond', Aussie made... saw a photo of it on my old phone while looking for valve geometry pics from another topic
...I think it looks like Beezeroa Atoll is fairly sorted now anyway....

On the other hand, I heard stories of a guy who tried to fix a broken handlebar riser with this and hurt himself badly.

*bash*  *conf2*  *bash* *bash*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 01.08. 2018 11:33 »

Yes two pack google it and have a look.

Yup too easy- just thought I'd ask someone with experience with it first...but did a search for the 'melty-weldy' stuff; It's called 'Lumiweld' or 'Alumiweld', worked ok for me, but differing opinions in 'search' I think Sydney Trev knows a bit about it..... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia