Author Topic: Clutch actuating lever on the gearbox  (Read 2047 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clutch actuating lever on the gearbox
« Reply #15 on: 07.08. 2018 20:20 »
10 minutes of labor and an old ball bearing from your junk collection (old steering head set) and you would already be back on the road.

A ball bearing would not be enough, the difference is almost half an inch.
I want the bike to be as near original as is practical as I intend to sell it and as good as I can get it without bogdes, and whilst the ball bearing trick is well known a new owner may not be aware of it, with the consequence of a ball bearing ending up rolling around the gearbox - sorry not with my name in the frame.
Also both my bikes are negative earth purely for the convenience of both being similar ( the red bike is electronic ignition so needs 12 volts negative earth), I had a negative earth DVR2 on this bike , this I have replaced with a positive earth version, again anyone with knowledge of the bikes will expect Positive earth, also oil filter has been removed, inuring the expense of new oil pipes  -  again for the sake of expected originality, ( to be honest many user will not ride enough miles to make a filter worthwhile)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 07.08. 2018 20:32 »
I don't get it. 10 minutes of labor and an old ball bearing from your junk collection (old steering head set) and you would already be back on the road.

Richard L.

Or better still, a 1/4 X 1/4" clutch roller. Much kinder on the push-rod ends.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 07.08. 2018 20:45 »
I don't get it. 10 minutes of labor and an old ball bearing from your junk collection (old steering head set) and you would already be back on the road.

Richard L.

Or better still, a 1/4 X 1/4" clutch roller. Much kinder on the push-rod ends.

...but not in the junk collection. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that the activating arm has a ball bearing in it.

Bill, you couldn't get by on 1/16" less, or two balls and 3/16" cut from one of the pushrod halves? At this point, I'm beating it to death for laughs, since you've ordered a new rod.

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 07.08. 2018 23:08 »
Who is Polly Palmer?

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #19 on: 07.08. 2018 23:51 »
Richard I call it shitty wassell because they sold shitty parts to me in the 80s that caused me more *work* *fight*

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 08.08. 2018 09:28 »
Who is Polly Palmer?
I believe PP is something to do with the BSA Owners Club.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 08.08. 2018 11:17 »
I believe PP is something to do with the BSA Owners Club.

yep - a stalwart of long time standing. had stuff off him in the past, Welsh I think

you would already be back on the road.

I am on the road - two bikes remember, just concentrating in getting the Gold one ready to sell in condition that I would like to buy one, then the new owner can add , modify or whatever as he/she learns and requires.
Now be honest how many of you would want to buy a bike that required nothing done to it for years  and years to come ( should maybe cut that bit)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #22 on: 08.08. 2018 14:43 »
Polly was President for a long time & owner Bri-Tie motorcycles in Wales.
HE kept a large inventory of BSA parts, particularly A 7 & A 10 parts
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 08.08. 2018 17:52 »
Bri-Tie

Yes  - couldn't quite remember the name
All the best - Bill

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 08.08. 2018 18:17 »
 I would Bill, I would want the bike made with the correct parts that fit!

Buy a bike that was put together as intended, using parts that were not purchased from J.C. Witneys? One with real gaskets. where the correct TPI of bolts was used?  A bike that is not made of 90% "one off little bitty special parts" that the PO had to modify and make because he was a 3 buck Chuck?

Everyone is scared to buy a bike built with the cheapest of everything. Not the 80 dollar part, always the 30 dollar version and not the good oil or fuel, always the cheap shit. Never sealed with paper gaskets and grease, always bathroom silicone caulk.

NOBODY wants that cheap skate bike, yet a lot of people seem to build them. *sad2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 08.08. 2018 18:58 »
Bill,

Does Polly run a business from which anyone can make purchases, or do you have to know him personally?

*fight* (I couldn't find an emoji of a dead horse being beaten.)

Perhaps the ball bearing in the middle of the pushrod is not original equipment, but it's hard to consider it in the realm of "bodge". Certain members I respect have suggested the technique, for example:

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=10900.msg81939#msg81939

Then, there is one BSA-Bill, to whom the technique was not unfamiliar.

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=582.msg81371#msg81371

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 08.08. 2018 19:40 »
Does Polly run a business from which anyone can make purchases, or do you have to know him personally?

may still trade as Bri -Tie, makers of the original anti wet sump valve I think, also sells on Ebay as bikerbsa (20998).

Well to my mind I have had as much pleasure from improving my Bikes as riding them, Bodge was a rather harsh term I agree.
I'm not selling a substandard bike, it has st/st rims and spokes, standard bore, good tyres, halogen light, DVR2 regulator.
Ball bearing in the clutch rod is a good mod if you do it and know it's there, if your not aware and remove the rod the bearing could end up in the box, NOT good, similarly Negative earth was fine for me, but nothing wrong with Positive earth and it's what is expected, it cost me the price of a new DVR2 to change it back.
Just trying to do the right thing buy the buyer
All the best - Bill

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #27 on: 08.08. 2018 23:48 »
I would Bill, I would want the bike made with the correct parts that fit!

Everyone is scared to buy a bike built with the cheapest of everything. Not the 80 dollar part, always the 30 dollar version and not the good oil or fuel, always the cheap shit. Never sealed with paper gaskets and grease, always bathroom silicone caulk.

.......PROGRESS.....  cheers

A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 09.08. 2018 00:09 »
Bodge was a rather harsh term, I agree.

To be fair, no one called the ball bearing trick a "bodge," ('cept me) I was just reading into it.

So, your intention, as stated, is to take all the pleasure out of the bike by making all the improvements yourself, leaving none for the new owner. Now we know the kind of person you are. ;) *smile*

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 09.08. 2018 09:13 »
no one called the ball bearing trick a "bodge,

Actually I did, I should have used something like alteration, myself I never found the need, and the pushrod from Britie was £10.50, not a lot for originality.

Rummaging in the shed yesterday I came upon a six spring clutch, a light flicked on, this is where the 10.5 inch pushrod came from I think, then I believe there were two four spring clutches differing in the width of the basket ( thanks John) so some small relief for getting it wrong (still learning see - a good thing)
New rod should be here today or tomorrow, I'm off shopping and haircut today, shed will have to survive without me   *smile*
All the best - Bill