Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: Tyres
« Reply #90 on: 14.08. 2018 22:11 »
I take it she inherited a fortune and you spent it all on bikes. *smile*  I'm a bit of a cricket fan but'll have to look up Yardley - doesn't spring to mind.  My sister is currently in Manjimup but may move to Bunbury.

I love it when it's just me and the road, but you'd struggle to travel a few miles without seeing someone here.  The plus is that when you do discover a hidden gem of a road (usually unclassified), it can be pretty quiet, apart from the bike, of course.  I guess the far north of Scotland would be the best place, maybe some parts of mid-Wales.  On the whole, we're a pretty crowded island.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #91 on: 15.08. 2018 10:55 »
when you do discover a hidden gem of a road (usually unclassified), it can be pretty quiet

Similar roads around me,very little other traffic, however if you do meet or catch up with something it is likely to be very large, slow and have lots of sticky out bits.
Mid / late summer is harvest time, just be aware
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #92 on: 15.08. 2018 11:46 »
Right on Bill.  I was brought up in the sticks in the early 80s and delivered newspapers to farms every morning on a FSI-E and YB100 (plus others).  YB and Puch Maxi were just indestructable.  Used to have my bikes serviced at Foley Motorcycles in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, about 20m from where I lived.  When a local Stoke lad saw the mileage on my year old YB, he almost fell through the floor (had 20k on it compared to his 800m of city riding). *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #93 on: 15.08. 2018 19:51 »
I'm happy with the alignment by eye, been doing it for years, but I do think there's a slight issue with the way the front wheel was laced up as it runs closer to the left hand fork than the right by a few mls.  Think I'll look at that first and see if it changes anything.  Don't get me wrong, I've ridden much worse and you adjust to the way each bike rides.  Generally, I fling it into corners quite confidently, it was just the odd twitch that made me think.

Just a quick update on the comment above.  Fitted new brackets today which took around four hours. *eek* :o  The reason the wheel looked closer to the left hand bracket was because of the following:

1.  The 'dimple' in the left hand side of the mudguard is deeper than the right (dimple referring to the indent allowing the mudguard to go round the forks).

2.  The original brackets were slightly bent and the welds on the fork leg where the brackets attach to are different depths (corrected with washer spacers)

3.  The whole mudguard is twisted.

4.  The holes in the new bracket were the wrong size and needed redrilling (after painting, of course) *sad2* *doh*

So, after much swearing, sweat and spannering, I've got it just about right with the brackets equidistant with the tyre.  *work* Unfortunately, my beautifully sprayed bracket is now bearing the marks of all that swearing, sweat and spannering and now needs repainting. *pull hair out* *angry* *problem* *razz*  I've also discovered cracks in the front and rear extremities of the mudguard, so if anyone knows anyone who supplies these at a sensible price I'd be quite interested.  *good3* The originals needed a lot of work to get them into any sort of decent shape.

Work all finished, bike polished, ready for the road, awaiting next problem. :-\

Cheers all
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened