Author Topic: Clutch cables  (Read 804 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Clutch cables
« on: 10.08. 2018 12:44 »
Just as a matter of interest. What is the correct clutch cable adjuster supposed to be like? Daft question maybe, but virtually all the reproduction cables that I have seen offered for sale are fitted with an adjuster that is designed to be turned by a spanner with a lock nut. However, when I first had my bike it was equipped with an adjuster that had a round knurled adjuster to facilitate finger adjustment, and the locking nut/washer was of the same design. Much easier to use in my humble opinion. Which is correct, and more to the point are the knurled adjuster cables still around? Were there two types of cable or are the type that is around these days just a cost cutting exercise?

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Clutch cables
« Reply #1 on: 10.08. 2018 12:59 »
When renewing my clutch cable last year I looked and looked for one with the round thumb screw adjusters at the gearbox end - ended up with the ones with a small nut on  *sad2*.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 10.08. 2018 13:11 »
No idea what the correct & proper adjuster is. As I make my own cables I use these shown in photo so I can adjust while riding along... I like just a tiny amount of play on the lever, often when bike is hot that small amount of play disappears, (expansion?) so a couple of turns just gives that play again. Probably I'm just being petty.  *lol*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.08. 2018 13:53 »
No idea what the correct & proper adjuster is. As I make my own cables I use these shown in photo so I can adjust while riding along... I like just a tiny amount of play on the lever, often when bike is hot that small amount of play disappears, (expansion?) so a couple of turns just gives that play again. Probably I'm just being petty.  *lol*

That is the same as I have on mine.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 10.08. 2018 14:29 »
I understood it that A101960 was referring to the gearbox arm adjuster. I maybe wrong of course. Pic of both types attached.
Handlebar lever also has an adjuster - well mine does  *smiley4*.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 10.08. 2018 16:32 »
RogerSB
I understood it that A101960 was referring to the gearbox arm adjuster.
Yes you are quite right in your assumption. That is what I was referring to. There is no provision on my handle bar levers for adjustment at that end. The thing is I do not recall seeing the "nut" type adjusters until relatively recent times. I shall have to keep searching because that is not what I want. Another thing that I have noticed is that that on that type the outer cable is to long or maybe its the inner cable that is to short. Either way there is not very much provision for adjustment.

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 10.08. 2018 20:40 »
Luckily both my control levers are the type that I can also use slide-in adjusters to take up the slack in the cables.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.08. 2018 21:09 »
Another thing that I have noticed is that that on that type the outer cable is to long or maybe its the inner cable that is to short. Either way there is not very much provision for adjustment.
You could nip off some of the outer to increase inner cable slack. As long as the cable outer is long enough of course.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.08. 2018 23:19 »

**what GB says....

I have same setup on el-Plungo as LJ,cb and Roger, for adjustments on the fly.
I think the ones with the nuts are just a cost-cutting thing....I can't understand why anyone would ditch the knurled ones....

It's been debated before, but think I determined when doing research for insurance that the hand lever setup was used on later ('60 on) models- maybe an option    219LH
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 11.08. 2018 09:39 »
The "GA7" framed models had handlebar end adjusters for front brake and clutch without adjusters at the brake plate or gear inner cover as original.

The gearbox inner cover was changed from a slot and threaded hole to a plain hole no slot.

FA7 frames no adjusters at the handlebar end as original with nice knurrled adjusters..

Parts often changed to suit rider preference and availbility of replacement part.