Author Topic: BSA vs Norton vs Triumph (from the fifties)  (Read 84 times)

Online Yasser

• Moving Up
BSA vs Norton vs Triumph (from the fifties)
« on: 18.09. 2020 14:38 »
Hi everyone.

Being a British motorcycle lover since I can remember I have always be interested in differences between the biggest three trademarks, or at least the most well known and spread.

More than specific details in the design of the engine I can tell you that in Cuba, where parts are very difficult to get you can notice the differences on how years of basically NO SPARE PARTS made this motorcycles looks like today.

I own a Norton. So let me be the last.

Triumph, are usually noisy, from the right side of the engine due to worn pinions. Maybe two camshaft make shorter the pinion life. They use to be even very leaky, their lubrication is external. Anyway there are very good examples here, they are fast as hell.

BSA have always being my dream. They are clean, vibrates a fraction of others, idles great. That´s what I have felt riding a couple of times my fellow´s motorcycles. I have heard complains about the cranshaft support at the right side. BSA owners prevent going too fast on highways.

Nortons are strong, hansome, curve lovers. Mine never say no. I just love it. When I bought it 20 years before I was concerned about chains. I have never had a problem about it.

I am wondering to know thought from different perspectives, based on driver experience. Sincereness will be welcomed.

All the best.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: BSA vs Norton vs Triumph (from the fifties)
« Reply #1 on: 18.09. 2020 17:31 »
Well I am in my late seventies now but back in the late 1950's early 1960's. If you wanted top class road holding you went for a Norton with a featherbed frame, if you wanted a bike with looks and style Triumph had the edge, If you wanted a great sounding bike you would go for a BSA you cannot beat the sound of a Gold Star belting the revs out. All British bikes of that era  are great bikes  they all have their good points and bad points. I have never regretted owning and riding various makes over the years and I am looking forward to continuing riding both my BSA twins an A7 and an A65 for as long as I can handle them.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Yasser

• Moving Up
Re: BSA vs Norton vs Triumph (from the fifties)
« Reply #2 on: 18.09. 2020 19:04 »
Even living these day I won't be clever enough to describe it so brilliantly! Thank you Sir!
Good Advice
No reactions