Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129177 times)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1005 on: 02.04. 2020 12:23 »
Cheers Berger, hold fire for now, much appreciated though.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1006 on: 02.04. 2020 14:49 »
A whine is most likely gears. Timing gears perhaps?
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1007 on: 02.04. 2020 17:24 »
Gearbox (third gear)?

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1008 on: 02.04. 2020 18:54 »
     Jim.    Rocker gear is more likely to be more of a regular clank. A whine is more the sound from something rotating, and from the front of the motor the dynamo is the number one suspect.

Have a go  with the " long screwdriver in the ear trick"  use as a stethoscope and listen to the noises you get from various parts of the engine. If you have never done this before, don't get paranoid. Timing gears and magnetos always sound as if they are on their last legs, and you will detect noise conducting through the crankcases, but with a bit of practice you get to know what's what and what's not. Quite fascinating to listen and pick out the regular taps and knocks as the moving bits work their magic, and yes, they do it all in the dark! How clever is that?

Can't be too much wrong, as you were able to go there and back without incident.

Swarfy

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1009 on: 02.04. 2020 22:11 »
Noisier on the left hand side and seeming from the rockers. Whine goes up and down with the revs in neutral. Seems worse on the dropping revs.
Thanks for the thoughts, may try to video it for the sound effect. The 2 main problems with that are a complete inept with this computer electrickery and yous lot will hear the other dreadful clattering and demand removal of the poor machine from such a cruel and evil master. Good job there is no RSPCBSA!
Will do as Swarthy suggests and go round with the screwdriver and try to get an accurate origin of the noise.
Have not been able to fire it up today. Also, with this lockdown, all the neighbours are about and even with the baffle reduction the noise is quite shocking. I love it of course but the mrs and probably the neighbours do not! My usual tune up place is a car park about half a mile up the road.
The problem with that is that by the time i get there, with all my clobber on, i think "f..k it, the beast is running now so lets go for a ride before it stops"!
 *bash* *beer* *computer* *pull hair out* *wave* *countdown*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1010 on: 02.04. 2020 23:08 »
 hello jim are the rockers or mods maybe getting some of that stuff that lubricates things, I know very well from past experience they will work ok without some of that stuff that lubricates but you never know , I have heard them squeal on a mates trumpet.  you will get through this jim, I have made a booboo of wiring up my indicators today, its electrickered me , I put indicator on and get a bleed to back light. my wiring skills are no where near my black&tan slurping skills. looking inside the headlamp shell is enough to make a parson swear, all bodged in a rush donky's ago. so I am going to try again and again, I have the brake light working when I press the peddle but the earth I put on years ago isn't connected, gremlins of my doing somewhere . o well tomorrows another day,i have a meter so I will not be completely stumped,,,,, I hope.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1011 on: 03.04. 2020 10:19 »
Re rocker lubrication, my original pipe fractured where the pipe splits due to vibration, covering my leg and the engine with much oil. *eek*  The remedy, I cut the middle section out of the new rocker pipe (where it runs across the top of the engine) and connected the remaining metal pipe at both ends with narrow gauge fuel/oil pipe.  That way, there's no vibration across the length of the pipe and the little that remains is dampened by the fuel/oil pipe itself.  Has worked a dream for about 4000m so far. *good3*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1012 on: 03.04. 2020 18:59 »
BG, might your whine be from the dynamo?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1013 on: 03.04. 2020 20:27 »
well the indicator problem electrickery was mastered by the loon himself, yes me! *bash* I forgot I was using the head lamp securing bolts for the earth and have rubber pads between head lamp and bracket making it easy to move the head lamp position, so earth worked ok because metal was still in contact. when I took the bolts out and put the indicators in the same headlamp fixing holes of course I lost the earth. so things started going silly when I earthed the indicators. i was scratching my head for ages but when looking for continuity the penny dropped, so a little separate earth and a yippee jump around the kitchen and jobs a gooden, wanted to celebrate with plenty black&tans but no pubs open and don't enjoy drinking in house, so a nice cup of tea was had. then came the time to put the mirror back on , of course it was interfering with the indicator *problem* so off the lathering thing and a longer fixing made and bergers a happy bunny. i love sheddy and kitchen motorbike days , mmm what else now, i am sure there is plenty more things to mess with whilst in jail *beer* *wink2*

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1014 on: 03.04. 2020 23:25 »
I really think you need to overcome your fear of drinking in the house Berger... just think of the harm all that tea is doing to you.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1015 on: 03.04. 2020 23:38 »
haha jools it isn't a fear, it is the fact that whenever I have had a beer in the house I don't enjoy it and leave it, I think it's more that when I am in there is other things to be done , and when I am out I am out out for the shift, there's no calling for " a couple" and goin home with me. it is a sesh or nothing. by the way in Derbyshire a cuppa tea sorts everything out  *good3*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1016 on: 04.04. 2020 09:15 »
I've mastered the art of having a 'coldy' (usually Boddys or Tetleys - Old Pec if I'm feeling flush) whilst I'm doing things around the house.  *beer* *beer*  Unfortunately, my wife is always having a pop when finding me semi-conscious on the floor with the vacuuming half done...... or complaining about mopping up the blood when I've drilled through my hand :o :o  *whistle* *whistle*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

beezermacc

« Reply #1017 on: 04.04. 2020 09:52 »
Made a start on the RGS restoration.... at long last! It's been in the shed for about 15 years!

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1018 on: 04.04. 2020 10:05 »
Made a start on the RGS restoration.... at long last! It's been in the shed for about 15 years!

Jeez - the table the engine's on looks nicer than any stick of furniture in our house *eek* 
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

beezermacc

« Reply #1019 on: 04.04. 2020 10:19 »

Jeez - the table the engine's on looks nicer than any stick of furniture in our house *eek*
It's actually the stool at 'the office' end of the workshop!