Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 128830 times)

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1110 on: 21.05. 2020 00:02 »
yes mate it's been stripped cleaned talked to and put back together , it is fine. what I really really  really wanna know is why does a full faced lock washer go on before a recessed washer that is supposed to do the job of eliminating any movement between the hub and the centre *conf2*

ironhead

« Reply #1111 on: 21.05. 2020 09:36 »
what I really really  really wanna know is why does a full faced lock washer go on before a recessed washer that is supposed to do the job of eliminating any movement between the hub and the centre *conf2*

sorry  , can't answer that but Iv'e never used that tab washer, ( always seemed counter productive to me). I have seen a few of those recessed washers bow inwards so what I  do now is make a good fitting thick washer ( about 4/ 5 mm from 4140 or 1045 steel) then add some bottled tab washer material ( RED Loctite 263) .  Never fails.  Heat is needed to soften it when the nut has to come off again though.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1112 on: 21.05. 2020 12:25 »
good plan iron head. I had a dream last night, song in there somewhere. if the clutch centre is proud of the hub the recessed washer pushes the hub up allowing the centre to protrude into the recess . the theory of the lock washer may be that with it being soft it allows the centre to bend it a little bit into the recess if you have a set up where the centre is proud of the hub. that is my theory, if the hub is proud of the centre it doesn't matter, I will look to see if my lock washer has been pushed in a little bit, by a little bit I mean a tiny bit because there is only a few thou difference. I feel a black & tan coming on today *beer*

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1113 on: 21.05. 2020 12:41 »
He will make the spokes; top quality and quick supply.
His operation is now in Gidgiegannup...

ps great work with the polishing.

C'mon Richard, we know you're just making up these town names. (He said, imagining a time before Google.)

Miker, A hardy second on the polishing work. Beautiful.

Richard L.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1114 on: 21.05. 2020 13:21 »
Hi Berger,
Ditch the lock washer and use loctite as ironhead says
If the hub is proud of the adaptor then an extra thick plain washer is good
Be careful of the thrust washer centres most are A65/ tri and do not have the scrolled rear and different taper

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1115 on: 21.05. 2020 21:40 »
here again , yes john I have been looking at things today. the two trumpy  centres have different tapers to the scrolled ones and sit level with the hubs on. the two scrolled adaptors I have both sit about 4 thou proud of the hubs, BUT! today I have discovered the new friction plates slide in the chain wheel and on the hubs perfectly. the frictions I had with this clutch is another story. one fell over the lip on the hub *eek* :o and the other 4 are about 1/1/2 mm bigger in the hole and of course can slop about, I noticed bad hammering in the chain wheel slots that is now sorted. I think some body has been playing about with wrong parts before I got my mitts on it *rant*. I might be on a winner now and get a working clutch, the only thing I wonder about now is weather I need the 2 inch springs or the 1/7/8ths, suppose I will be finding out trial and error wise before I put the outer cover on *beer* ps my theory on the lock washer has been blown out the workshop   *red* because the recessed washer also covers both centre and hub on its periphery . does that mean outside edge *whistle*

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1116 on: 23.05. 2020 19:31 »
amazing, whoever made the springs that measured 1/7/8 s must have used magical wire , since they have been on the bench they have crept up to very near 2 inch. I wonder where they were made *roll* but now I have studied this trump clutch I think I now have all the correct bit's but may be not in the correct order *lol*.  probably back together next week a bit of fettling with other bits while the inner cover is off --- better for maggy work and busy with other stuff now, brothers workshop roof preparations on going now *yeah*

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: 26.05. 2020 16:09 »
sort of related to Berger's clutch question..I went out on my TR6p yesterday and discovered I hadn't fitted the correct spacer washer.. me not understanding that it held the clutch basket on..one more thing I have learnt... no damage and all forward movement ceased near a friends house, so it wasn't a bad thing. I enjoyed the ride while it lasted and the time with my friend and his family..all in all a good day out..
Guy

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1118 on: 26.05. 2020 17:50 »
Up to the Yorkshire Moors yesterday for a 120m run - feel a bit knackered today though (worth it whatever!!) *smile*.  Bike ran really nicely, but still with the occasional pop when giving it a big handful *eek* (but not past the Revenue Raiser Ambush Van sitting on the A170 *angry* *angry* *rant*).  Still pushing myself to do normal things to build strength and stamina - it's getting there as I need fewer rest periods.  Sunny days are great, grey overcast days are for chillin' *beer* *beer*.

Sent an email to Russell re the speedo issue (been 2.5 years since he refurbed it!! *eek*).  Trip is definitely skipping numbers and the odometer seems to give up accurate recording when cruising at 60-70mph.  Will wait for the close season before dispatching though.

Only issues with the bike apart from the very occasional pop and bang are a cracked front mudguard (both ends), the dodgy speedo, a missing nut from the stud that the front seat bracket sits on, and a piece of threaded metric bar with nylocs serving as a temp engine mount as the original fell out! *dunno*

Cheers guys! *good3*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: 26.05. 2020 20:42 »
Didn't do anything as such but some shiny bits turned up for my A10 ADV bike build
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #1120 on: 27.05. 2020 14:31 »
Finally this year I can add something positive. I managed to sort my bloody garage out ,threw out a mound of old stuff reorganised much much more and eventually the bike was clear and I pushed her into sunlight since September last yr.  A bit dusty but a wipe with an old cloth sorted that , for now ,put oil back in and turned the motor a couple of times .
Then decided to "bounce " the front forks ,always felt there was a slight twist after an off I suffered afew yrs ago .Anyway loosened spindle lock nut and the 2other nuts and bolts and bounce away ,this definitely moved the forks as I could see marks which hadn't been there before o the spindle. I the twisted the handlebars with me striding the front wheel and tightened everything up .Sat on her and felt more comfy ,so I must have just got used to the previous twist and compensated for it ,hopefully this will now be better. Start up next in a day or 2 ,cheers Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1121 on: 27.05. 2020 16:36 »
Well I’ve not taken a bike out since the weekend that lock down commenced here in the UK. I did at least get some off roading in on the Essex byeways that Saturday.

Since then I have serviced both of my big Guzzis – Blue the T3 and Jug the Eldo Loop frame. Oil changes were done on a cold motor as I didn’t want to start them up, and the carbs will still need balancing. I bought a 240v power winch to assist with when I wanted to get the bigger bikes reversed up on to the table, a manoeuvre that has always been fraught with the essence of disaster looming. I have a big vice on the bench at the back of the garage so I can simply bolt the winch into that when I need to use it – I extended the leads for the remote accordingly. First tests with that went well until I dragged the entire bench over. Which at least precipitated a good tidy up. The bench, which was previously free standing is now bolted to the back wall (of a pre-cast concrete garage, so you can see how much more badly wrong that could go next time). 

I’ve done about as much as I can in the garden so I’m now thinking of pulling the gearbox out of The Black Pearl, my Guzzi V50. It’s a job I’ve long been putting off as it kind of works anyway. But I’m bored now.

The A10 continues to sit under a dust cover in the bike port. It ran beautifully last time out and wants for nothing, at least until the next time I start it of course.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1122 on: 01.06. 2020 12:03 »
First time out of the shed since last autumn!  *smile*
Let's see if she runs....

STARTED FIRST KICK!!!!!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0lcn7qyfr669of/VID_20200601_120454.mp4?dl=0
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1123 on: 01.06. 2020 12:47 »
Your mag must be a goodie!!!

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1124 on: 01.06. 2020 13:03 »
Your mag must be a goodie!!!

Thank goodness. I had the mag rebuilt at great expense but every time the bike easily starts I thank the god of motorcycle electrics that I did.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash