Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 131655 times)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1185 on: 25.06. 2020 19:44 »
180 mile round trip to Dartmoor for a swim in a river and a meet up with a mate. Great day off work and out and about! My rickity rockety golden flashback (miss you Dutch) ran really well and am content. Primary chain seems to have tightened up so i guess them gearbox mounting bolts need a longer lever to tighten them.
 *woo* *woo* *spider* *beer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1186 on: 26.06. 2020 20:15 »
G'day Fellas.
Loaded the last two bikes (83 CB1100F, 88 FXST) onto trailers (a mate taking one) for the trip up to their new home. Along with 0% of my tools and most importantly the beer fridge.
Two weeks to go and one more trailer load (surprising how much we gathered in just 6 months) till I'm up there permanent.
Looking forward to exploring new roads.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1187 on: 26.06. 2020 22:39 »
took the rrt2 out, never to go back in again *problem*, got the std  back in and finish off tomorrow putting clutch on and start wearing some rubber out instead of wearing myself out *yeah*

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1188 on: 28.06. 2020 20:30 »
I like rock’n’roll (the genuine stuff, eg Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran) as opposed to what many call rock’n’roll but isn’t (usually rhythm’n’blues, rockabilly). I generally dislike classical and blues, but the latter is beginning to describe how I feel……
Why? The project is going backwards and getting me down. I’ve had a real problem starting it recently, and as that usually requires a visit from my son, it means it’s not been started for a few weeks even though he’s tried a couple of times. (1,000cc and relatively high compression doesn’t make for easy starting). I’d presumed the mag was to blame, given sparks are very weak (if at all) at the sort of revs encountered during kick-starting - and so I built a 60* distributor to replace the mag. And today we tried it.
A few pops and bangs but no start. And so we put it on the rollers. Started, but only at exactly ¼ throttle, with lots of backfiring and overheating. Clearly it was running way too lean.
Confused and getting rather pizzed off, I looked up some internet comments I’d saved from others trying to tune Mikuni carbs. Seems these carbs are eccentric (as opposed to concentric). Previously she’d started fine on choke, but would not run without and so I’d upped the pilot jet from 15 to 35 (more normal for 500cc). Seems others had had the same issue – do that and it’ll never start on choke as it’s now too rich. Then there’s the quirkiness of Mikunis to consider – the pilot jet affects the entire throttle opening, including the main jet.
I also had another issue – previous runs had produced an oil pressure around 25psi (half of what I’d expected) and so I’d changed the pump from a plunger to a gear type, the latter advertised as giving twice the flow. But now I had less pressure – a measly 15 – 20psi. What was going on? I decided to remove the gauze in the tank in case that was causing a restriction, as it did appear to be rather fine.
And so back to the rollers to check oil pressure. No change, but I could set a tickover and it now definitely wasn’t lean. How, why? Do you ever feel like giving up?
I always feared Mikunis would be a nightmare to tune, but chose them because my favourite (Amal) were too large in MK2 configuration. Unlike Amals, Mikunis have a nightmarish range of jets to choose from (as far as I can see, 26 different needle jets and 15 needles, giving 390 different combinations). Add that to the fact jets overlap, the chance of getting fuelling remotely right is nigh impossible. Seems the best one can hope for is that it actually runs! Excellent, no doubt, when set up on a factory engine, but an absolute nightmare on one-offs. Tomorrow it’s another look at the oil pump.  *problem*

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1189 on: 28.06. 2020 21:09 »
ok so today is rant day *bash* I tried to get mine to tick over today , the first time it has failed to do this with the mikuni carb. i had to look at many internet posts and video's . I discovered the pilot jet can be either side of the slide depending on the model of carb. this means a different take on setting them up. mine is air filter side of carb but for some reason mine will not tick over unless I have the air screw so far out I might as well take it out!! I also discovered it has the smallest pilot jet they make for my carb and it chokes up if I screw the air screw in to the setting it should run at of between 1 and 3 turns, this is strange because it was ok . while studying internet posts there was no mention of pilot jet being involved after 1/4 throttle. each stage of tuning went from pilot/needle/ main. more investigation tomorrow and if doesn't play nice the monoblock is coming back out to play *rant*

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #1190 on: 28.06. 2020 22:27 »
Primary chain seems to have tightened up so i guess them gearbox mounting bolts need a longer lever to tighten them.

BigJim, I made this note to remind myself to do this, so before you get the big levers out - read the bit with a red box around it. It's surprising the slack you sometimes find.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1191 on: 28.06. 2020 22:45 »
Hi RD and Berger
Sudden changes in carburation  requirements usally are down to some other issue
Stale fuel or just getting new "Bad" fuel causes such issues. then dirt sticky floats or ignition
When I took my Super Rocket to Switzerland and France a few years ago, the first fill of fuel immiedietly caused one fuel tap to leak, later I had carb flooding problems on and off over the 2 weeks away, When I got home the grass needed cutting so I drained off some from the BSA, next minute the lawnmower carb was flooding  *conf2*
I have a Mikuni on my SR and initially it only needed minor setting up,
RD I would look at what Mikuni recommend for XT Yamaha's as your engine uses those heads
I think that your distributor with rotor and cap is an issue on a V twin
I worked on a new Vincent engine that came with distributor ignition, Using  motorcycle sized coil it ran crap, it would only run on one cylinder until about 2000 revs when the second would chime in ??? I tried a full size coil from a car and it ran better but not right!!! The cure was to abandon the distributor cap and use a twin spark coil.
It came with 32mm concentric carbs and was a pig to ride, no bottom end at all, then surged
I changed the carb bodies to 28mm, did away with the pilot bush jet and fitted remote pilots, the brass tube around the needle jets had to have the the engine side of the tube cut away as recommended by owners group on the Net

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

ironhead

« Reply #1192 on: 29.06. 2020 00:22 »

I also had another issue – previous runs had produced an oil pressure around 25psi (half of what I’d expected) and so I’d changed the pump from a plunger to a gear type, the latter advertised as giving twice the flow. But now I had less pressure – a measly 15 – 20psi. What was going on? I decided to remove the gauze in the tank in case that was causing a restriction, as it did appear to be rather fine.

Have you got a roller bearing big-end in this motor? If so You'll never get high oil pressure but as advertised there will be more flow.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1193 on: 29.06. 2020 09:58 »
You think 50mpg is thirsty? Try my Firestorm - 25 to 28mpg and only a 16 litre fuel tank.
Seem to remember Suzi kettles being even worse under duress back in the day. Like 20-ish mpg when really screwed. Put me off big 2 strokes for life! There were more wayside garages back then, luckily, and owners of such bikes were probably on first name terms with everyone who ever worked in them!

I have a Kawa H1 triple that I was given in boxes and put back together. When I got it on the road I found I was getting 22 mpg - whilst running it in. Ouch. We don't get out much. 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1194 on: 29.06. 2020 11:26 »
Thanks to everyone for offering helpful advice.

Berger – I’ve been relying on other’s experience of fitting mikunis, mainly to Yam XT’s, as that would approximate my setup. Here’s a couple of comments I found:

a) It was so rich on the leanest needle clip that the bike could barely start. And that's the only place it would start. This is where I learned that the idle and needle circuits are not independent of each other as the many manuals and tuning guides teach us. It all works together.
                                                              ------------------

b) Starting cold is now a pain with the correct idle jet -- takes 6-12 kicks. Once warmed up for a minute she'll fire right up, first kick every time. It's impossible to start with the "choke" so the start jet must be too big. Is the start jet replaceable?

Ironhead – the big ends are plain, fed via a quill into crankshaft end.

John – thanks for all that. I’m running 34mm mikunis, as opposed to OE 36mm. As you suggest, I honed in on factory settings, given that I’m using Yam SR heads. The online experiences of others that I researched were where people were fitting 34mm’s to those engines, so at least I have ballpark figures to work on. Looking at comment (b) above it seems changing the pilot jet to 35 from the 15 the carbs came with may have exacerbated an already difficult starting situation, so my theory of weak spark at kick-over may have been only partly correct. At least it fires up pretty quick on the rollers. Given today’s rubbish fuel, I drain and refill with fresh every couple of weeks (I notice modern fuel changes colour to a light tan after a few weeks)
I think the ignition is OK – runs on both cyls straight off. I’m using a car-sized coil on 6v at present, but I have to resolve the oil pressure issue before I return to pondering jet sizes.
What a contrast this project is to the last one (M21 with vee engine). All I’ve done to that since its first start was add a pair of balance plugs (allowed for in design) and clean flashing from a carb float to stop it flooding. Didn’t even have to change carb jets (pair of monoblocs). At 1,000m I took the timing cover off to check inside, found everything 100% and put it back. About 5,000m now and all I’ve done is check tappets and change engine oil now and again.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1195 on: 29.06. 2020 11:53 »
Thanks Roger

I made a few mistakes when adjusting the primary chain.  First, I managed to adjust without slackening nut A *eek* and, second, I didn't follow the procedure boxed in red *eek* *eek* and, three, I don't think the rear chain was 1.25" at the tightest point. *eek* *eek* *eek*

Bike runs happily though and nothing has broken ::hh:: *doubt* *doubt* *conf2* *conf2* *wink2*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1196 on: 29.06. 2020 14:25 »
RD fella I have done more research on these mikuni things and you are correct, my apologies. the air jet which I think is the pilot jet *pull hair out* *conf2* works with main jet and needle jet on what they call a bleed carb . my head hurts after looking at the pdf file so I am now going to take the float bowl off mine and try to find a fuel pilot jet .

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1197 on: 29.06. 2020 16:43 »
yippee *woo* found a pilot jet as I know one buried in a tunnel, the tick over dance will now commence with a couple of different jets and the AIR jet can stay as it is because I now know 1% of how the mikuni works that is on my bike, and a few high speed plug chops were looking good. old monoblock going on until new jets land, pun intended *bash*

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1198 on: 29.06. 2020 17:02 »
Berger – don’t apologise – none of us have a monopoly on knowledge and the advice I passed on was only someone else’s online comment.
Word of warning though – if taking the float off, make a tool to support the pillars holding the hinge pin, or you’ll likely break the carb body. Real gem of bad design. I made a tool by drilling two small holes in a piece of hardwood.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1199 on: 29.06. 2020 17:36 »
Thanks RogerSB. Useful reminders there. *good3* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride