Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130127 times)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1560 on: 01.03. 2021 09:25 »
Ah you made it, we chose the Inland Rd to get back from chch, where we found some pubs 😁
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1561 on: 06.03. 2021 20:37 »
Made some progress on the project's starter today after spending a couple or so weeks sketching and re-sketching the gearbox to accomodate availability of bevel gears / space available etc. (the drive has to turn through 90* before finishing in a 1:3 reduction sprocket & chain onto the crankshaft). Not helping is my inability to successfully weld aluminium, meaning delays as I wait for a mate of mine to do the next bit. He used to run a stainless and alloy fabrication shop, so the wait is tolerable given his welds are a work of art.
Started a few days ago with 4mm plywood mock-up to ensure it would all fit. I picked up the first weld job on Friday, where Russ welded the base to the support bracket. Today I made the rest of the bits (6mm alloy) and dropped them off to him ready for phase two of the welding.
Photos are 1) sketch, 2) wood mock up, 3) trial fit and 4) the modified Firestorm starter motor. Note redesigned mounting at front and removal of original rear mounting, which would have stuck into the toolbox if left on.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #1562 on: 07.03. 2021 08:20 »
This is what Richard (Orabanda) and his better half, did with his bike today on his A10 SR.  This is him setting off on the 2ed leg of the IHC Bunbury 2 Day Rally, the last of 200 bikes to leave. He won the overall winner trophy.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1563 on: 07.03. 2021 17:37 »
How long have I pondered and planned for the day when I could get the top end mounted on my A7 bottom end? To learn this I had to research when I bought the new gudgeon-pin circlips I meant to install yesterday. Turns out, I bought them in September of 2018. Obviously, the melting glacier finally exposed them. So, with some level of long-awaited anticipation, I went to install them, only to learn that I had ordered (or was erroneously shipped?) A10 circlips, which are a bit bigger. Oh, boy, now I get to wait for a shipment before crossing this milestone.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1564 on: 07.03. 2021 18:23 »
Oh, boy, now I get to wait for a shipment before crossing this milestone.

If it wasn't for those pesky kids...
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1565 on: 07.03. 2021 18:34 »
   Richard. Prepare something to cover the crankcase mouth if the pistons and crankcase are all assembled. Circlips are devious little S.O.B's, all too easy for them to flick off onto the abyss. 10 minute job that take 3 hours.  Half a  minute to lose it, 2 hours 59 min to find the pesky blighter. Half minute to curse.  As for the size, that mistake has been made more times than you think.

Swarfy.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1566 on: 18.03. 2021 19:27 »
Still in lockdown, no non-essential travel. However, posting a letter has to be essential so out with the A10 for first ride of the year. Perfect summer's day in March, warm, dry roads. still some snow on the hilltops (this is Scotland after all). A first kick start then 40 mins of bliss on lovely minor roads. I even remembered to post the letter.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1567 on: 23.03. 2021 14:42 »
Jab day today. My first ride out since November when I had a couple of emergency dental appointments to deal with a crumbly tooth.

Only a few miles there and back, but how splendid it all was. took my Guzzi V50 out - fired right up on the button despite sitting all that time and with some pretty stale fuel in the tank. As I was on a roll, and as I had a parcel to deliver across town, once I got back I strapped that to the back of the SP(370) and headed out on that. Fired up after just 3 or 4 kicks so all good.

All tucked away again now, and hoping we should be allowed out here soon. Let the good times roll.

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1568 on: 23.03. 2021 16:34 »
Jab day today. My first ride out since November when I had a couple of emergency dental appointments to deal with a crumbly tooth.

Only a few miles there and back, but how splendid it all was. took my Guzzi V50 out - fired right up on the button despite sitting all that time and with some pretty stale fuel in the tank. As I was on a roll, and as I had a parcel to deliver across town, once I got back I strapped that to the back of the SP(370) and headed out on that. Fired up after just 3 or 4 kicks so all good.

All tucked away again now, and hoping we should be allowed out here soon. Let the good times roll.
Yes, I'm getting an itchy kick-starting foot as well
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1569 on: 23.03. 2021 18:50 »
Removed the A7 front wheel for the shoes to go off for relining, then shortened the speedo cable outer on the Red Hunter (speedo in tank model) as the inner had a habit of disconnecting itself.
Thinking that this could be the day for a few more "five minute jobs" I then sorted the headlamp on the Red Hunter (loose earth bullet), remade the petrol tank cap cork washer then gave the whole bike a nut and bolt tightness check and a good clean.
Still a bit of daylight so tickle the carb, and away she went on the second kick. No leaks and she's still charging too.
Very satisfying when everything goes to plan.
Tomorrow the Panther. *smile*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1570 on: 26.03. 2021 07:57 »
Pair of genuine Western bars (42-4968) turned up in the post. Might try and get them fitted at the weekend - replace the (Tr--ph) export bars that are currently on there.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1571 on: 26.03. 2021 20:44 »
G'day Fellas.
Well you think the A7/10 rocker box is a bugga.
Had a small weep out of the HD's rear rocker box. Their 3 pieces with 3 gaskets  *eek*

Put bike on the lifter with rear wheel off the ground. Remove spark plugs and select gear to turn motor over to tdc on that cylinder.
Back rest off, seat off, dash off, drain fuel tanks, both tanks off. Then it's 4 x 1/4" allen heads to remove the lid and middle cover, then 4 x 5/16" and 5 x 1/4" bolts to lift the bottom plate with rocker shafts attached and remove the push rods.

Then an hour removing the stuck on remnants of the gaskets and wash parts. Then reverse above to get it all back together.
Two nights after work from 6pm to 11pm (with a short dinner break). She started first hit of the button. On one cylinder, BUGGA. Went to bed.

Next morning before work started the strip down again. Got as far as the dash off, went other side to remove the fuel hose and found the problem. I must have bumped one of the spark plug leads out of the coil. Bugga bugga poo bum shite. All back together and rode to work the very long way.
Cheers
ps: pic is of both, I only had to do one.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1572 on: 29.03. 2021 08:52 »
Well you think the A7/10 rocker box is a bugga. ... theHD's rear rocker box. Their 3 pieces with 3 gaskets  *eek*

Is that to get them to fit in restricted space against the frame top tube?

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1573 on: 29.03. 2021 09:55 »
Got the western bars fitted OK. Found the throttle cable very frayed at the twistgrip end so put a new inner in that (note to self - check this each service going forwards). Meant I had to pull the carb off, and then found on remounting that with much tightening at all the body distorts enough that the slide won't drop reliably under the pressure of the spring. It's a concentric that was new when the bike went back on the road, and the nuts are really not very tight at all - rather disheartening really.

Clutch cable is fractionally too short, just gets a little tight on full lock one side. Might make a new one over the coming weekend. Oil tank got a good clean out a month or two back so with lockdown easing just a fraction here I might be able to try a start up and a short ride out.

Seems I've managed to post a pic, these are the previous - export bars.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1574 on: 29.03. 2021 20:05 »
G'day Butch.
Sort of yes, not much room with the rear rocker covers. Having to put two of the bolts in the lower cover before placing it on the head don't help. But in reality the job itself isn't too bad. It's all the other stuff, the two fuel tanks are the worst if you don't want fuel everywhere.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7