Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 147964 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2895 on: 22.06. 2023 23:01 »
Now packed with tent, swag & sleeping bag. I love ocky straps. It all will stay put.
Great work. I call them Bungy Straps. I agree, they are great 👍

Here is my old beast of burden on the way to Cheshire BSAOC camp.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2896 on: 23.06. 2023 03:50 »
that should make it easy to get the front wheel in the air musky. but are you trying to show up GB's recent pack rack efforts???
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2897 on: 23.06. 2023 04:05 »
that should make it easy to get the front wheel in the air musky. but are you trying to show up GB's recent pack rack efforts???
G'day Mike.
I might ride the whole way on the back wheel  *sarcastic*. Not at all, just something I knocked up quickly. Waste not want not, was about the only part of the burnt XT that is usable.
I'll have to carry the grog and morning coffee on my back!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2898 on: 23.06. 2023 05:11 »
yeah i do remember that photo of when your shed burned. arrrg  *sad2*. amazing anything escaped that.
maybe you could made up a special front wheel brace/holder to hold the grog,and  help re-balance the bike (and rider).
(oops - banter alert)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2899 on: 23.06. 2023 06:12 »
G'day Mike.
I forgot food, first aid kit, wet weathers, thermos etc. So I borrowed the HD's saddle bags.
Ha, that wasn't my shed, it was my house. Recognize the rack on the XT?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2900 on: 23.06. 2023 09:55 »
G'day Mike.
I forgot food, first aid kit, wet weathers, thermos etc. So I borrowed the HD's saddle bags.
Ha, that wasn't my shed, it was my house. Recognize the rack on the XT?
Cheers

Weekend resto job on that XT Musky *eek* *wink2*

Kwaka jobs include front brake caliper seals, reshim, and carb balance (why the fudge does the adjuster screw have to be so inaccessible).  I also want to whip the sump cover off at some point and check the gauze.  One of the sump screws (8mm) is very inaccessible.  Fortunately, I have a very short 8mm socket from some cheapo set I acquired years ago and never used.  Got a 1/4" bit to go in the end that also has a hex section to get a spanner on - should work??

Beeza jobs include the l/h fork seal (again!!), primary leak, epoxying the sump stud (holding at present), and looking for the bad earth (again).  In addition to the Dundee trip next month, I'm also planning a Wales trip the week before on the GF  *eek*  Must check the breakdown cover is up to date.

Incidentally, I ordered a ProX shim kit that looks like good quality.  Cost was £111.  If anyone needs a 7.48mm shim in either the smaller or larger sizes, I'd be happy to look at possible exchange or low cost sale. *good3* *good3*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2901 on: 25.06. 2023 04:23 »
G'day Fellas.
I'm back, a little sore but OK. I don't think I could have ridden much further just yet.
The ride down was a bit chilly. Had to stop after 60km at Oberon for coffee just to warm my fingers. It got colder over Shooters Hill and by the time I reached Abercrombie I was frozen. I was early so got my pick of camp spots. Thankful the temp didn't drop below freezing but with 3/4 bottle of bourbon under my belt I didn't notice.
The numbers are dwindling at rally's these days, only about 150 there.
I won the trophy for oldest combined bike and rider, 132 years.
The ride home was equally cold about 4C but add the wind chill at 60mph felt like 10 below. All up 280km and she didn't miss a beat and no oil leaks.
Cheers   
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2902 on: 25.06. 2023 04:37 »
You are one tuff bugger Musky!

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #2903 on: 25.06. 2023 07:44 »
By contrast to Musky's expedition, six of us from the Cheshire branch set off in blazing sunshine to meet up with our friends from the South Derbyshire Branch at The Miners' Standard in Winster. We had a lovely run to their camp then joined in with their run-out for more miles across the Derbyshire countryside. Three of us from Cheshire were on A10s and all ran well and sounded great amongst the other BSAs.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2904 on: 25.06. 2023 14:48 »
You guys must be masochists, i wouldn't want to ride a // twin more than a dozen miles. Can't stand the vibes. Tried a range of balance factors on my GF but makes little difference; fine up to 40mph but increasingly annoying thereafter. Real shame, as they ride as well as they look, but it was for good reason that motorcycle engineers back in the day stated that 500cc was the limit for a // twin. They knew that thereafter it would be impossible to keep the vibes down to an acceptable level.

But what have I done today? Re-assembled the B33 head that had the failed exhaust valve due to a cotter splitting. Made a new valve guide (cast iron this time) re-cut and ground the seat and started refitting the valve. Tried the springs on the new spring retainer - no fit! The register for the springs was .020" oversize. Can nothing be made properly these days? This came from a well-known reputable seller too. So had to turn up a mandrel to hold the retainer whilst I reduced the register. Plain sailing after that. *smile*

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2905 on: 25.06. 2023 15:06 »
You guys must be masochists, i wouldn't want to ride a // twin more than a dozen miles. Can't stand the vibes. Tried a range of balance factors on my GF but makes little difference; fine up to 40mph but increasingly annoying thereafter. Real shame, as they ride as well as they look, but it was for good reason that motorcycle engineers back in the day stated that 500cc was the limit for a // twin. They knew that thereafter it would be impossible to keep the vibes down to an acceptable level.

But what have I done today? Re-assembled the B33 head that had the failed exhaust valve due to a cotter splitting. Made a new valve guide (cast iron this time) re-cut and ground the seat and started refitting the valve. Tried the springs on the new spring retainer - no fit! The register for the springs was .020" oversize. Can nothing be made properly these days? This came from a well-known reputable seller too. So had to turn up a mandrel to hold the retainer whilst I reduced the register. Plain sailing after that. *smile*

Having said that, RD, the Japanese made some excellent // twins.  The Kwaka has a slight buzz around 45-50mph, then disappears and rides like a dream. *smile*  As for the GF, I ride it for miles (last time 127m) with only a fuel break.  Yes, I feel a bit numb in the bum, arms and back, and it takes me longer to get up the following day, but, like partying and a hangover, it's worth it at the time and is very addictive. *wink2* *good3* *beer* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #2906 on: 25.06. 2023 20:30 »
i did not go to the pub, i went out on betsy and went to Bill lomas [ famous bike rider and engineer ] old bike shop in clay cross , it is now a show room and cafe run by his son Tim with a variety of bikes on show from back in the day *dribble* a lot of 70's nutter japanese bikes as well as not so nutter like 4 strokes all looking good, a few  old matchies etc with drip trays *lol* and a manx with sign saying do not touch! . coming back home i drowned out my tappet rattle by getting betsy on nearly full chat past the Hunloke arms pub, the people sat outside were turning to see what was coming and then we went past in a flash and i dropped her down the box approaching a silly type of roundabout thing. i decided i had to set the tappets or put sound proofing under the honda tank because when i close my legs around the tank i can't hear them *bright idea*. i then went out on urma the yonda because she needed a blast too, so a good day was had, the next time i go to Bill lomas at clay cross i will take my modern not foggy phone and take some  piccciees because you lot love piccccieees don't you?? thankyou for listening have a nice day  *beer*

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2907 on: 25.06. 2023 20:48 »
You realise you're a total loon Bergs *wink2*  Didn't get out today, but did put together a diagram to help me with the shim service on the Kwaka (piccie). *bright idea*  Need to pull both steeds out and crack on with the fixing, then they'll be 'champing at the bit' to get out (or is that just me).  *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #2908 on: 25.06. 2023 20:49 »
just found out i don't need to take the phone next time ,, just googly Bill Lomas motorbikes and the piccieees are there  *yeah*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2909 on: 25.06. 2023 21:40 »
just found out i don't need to take the phone next time ,, just googly Bill Lomas motorbikes and the piccieees are there  *yeah*
https://www.billlomasmotorcycles.co.uk/bikes-for-sale/
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash