Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 128811 times)

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #15 on: 14.08. 2018 15:12 »
Tried my hand at powder coating today, and yep the outcome is all in the preparation. So I am pretty pleased especially where some of my efforts are an improvement on the professional job done on another plunger A10 I have.

so I'll chalk that up as another good day n be grateful for it.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #16 on: 14.08. 2018 15:41 »
Gave the A7 a pat and a few words of adoration, then filled the A10 with petrol for tonight's VMCC run  >:D
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 14.08. 2018 17:27 »
Same as I do every week day morning. Opened up my garage, stepped past my Loop frame (‘Jug’) that is currently parked on the lift table (for no reason other than space), pulled out my Sportster (‘Hardley’) from where it was leaning up against the wall in there, locked up again, freed the clutch (no kicker, pop into gear and push the bike about a bit with the clutch pulled in), fire up, crunch into gear and go. 6 miles across country later shut her down, park and lock up at the main line railways station.

When I get back there tonight c. 19:00 it will be pretty much a reverse procedure.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Falconer59

• Active
« Reply #18 on: 14.08. 2018 18:23 »
Walked past with smile on face knowing all is good with super rocket on the way past 1950 ES2 Norton on the way to start changing swing arm bushes on Mk 1 Rocket 3.
Life is good 😀

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 15.08. 2018 03:29 »
LJ is a slave driver. (Edited. Had that wrong for a minute and falsely acused Orabanda.)

Rocker box off and head retorqued, all while still in slacks worn home from work. Amazing how well the engine was running with so many moderately tight, or just loose, fasteners. So, only four days left to put her back together and adjust the valves.

Richard L.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #20 on: 15.08. 2018 08:48 »
Last night actually.... took off covers just to show a retired visitor my bikes. It always gives me pleasure when they admire them.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #21 on: 15.08. 2018 10:00 »
Out to a meeting last night on the MSS Velo. Started first kick both times despite an audience.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 15.08. 2018 11:58 »
Last night actually.... took off covers just to show a retired visitor my bikes. It always gives me pleasure when they admire them.

I always tell anyone who stops to notice, "I appeciate the appreciation."

Richard L.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 16.08. 2018 00:35 »
 I  had installed the DRV2 in the tool box.

I had some charging hiccups, so removed it from bike.

I drilled the smallest hole I could and used a tight fitting grommet because we have wasp problems. I would really prefer they never start coming out of the tool box while I am riding, too close to the bean bag for comfort.

Now I am having problems getting the wire leads back into the hole. *sad2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 16.08. 2018 04:28 »
Because of the pressure to do something, anything, I cleaned up rocker box and head mating surfaces. My God man, isn't that enough?!

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #25 on: 16.08. 2018 10:04 »
Going off topic a bit... Dragged the Norton out of the corner where it has been sitting for more than 2 years. Did the usual checks - oil, tyres, made sure there was some petrol in the tank and it started first kick. What's not to like?
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #26 on: 16.08. 2018 11:38 »
Just got back home from a couple of weeks visiting my mate in Townsville & was given this set of gauges... out in the shed today & figuring how the speedo would look on the plunger project.
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 16.08. 2018 13:20 »
I'm working on the Tank of the Flash, new taps so needed adaptors which arrived today, the last few days I've been cleaning the tank internally, noticed that it had been lined at some time (probably circa 2000, dent removed, chromed and painted by The Original Tank Doctor, made a damn nice job of it ckromes is still brilliant despite a good bit of winter running around 2000 -2005,)
Anyway some of the lining was loose so I sucked it out with a vacuum and treated the inside with rust neutraliser, pretty good stuff just poured it in and swished it around every hour or so.
So today had a look in the holes for the adapters, noticed partly blocked with liner, gave it a little prize with a small screwdriver and the whole lot came of and is now loose in the tank, a good thing if I can get it out, looking out some long stuff with a hook on the end.
Going into Wooler this afternoon so will get some more of the rust stuff.
Wish me luck.

PS Original tank Doctor made such a good job that a mate of mine decided to send his tank to him, he had a hell of a job getting it back, eventually drove down (Brum I think) to get it, think the bloke had some problems and folded, no connection as far as I know with the present Tank Doctor
(if he is still trading)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 16.08. 2018 13:41 »
Bill,

I had to remove a previous Caswell's lining in my tank. Not because the lining had failed, but because the frame juncture at the seat had worn a hole in the tank. Caswell's direction was to use paint stripper after protecting the exterior with a water soluble film. Used a lot of stripper and a lot of the liner came out, but plenty was left behind. Did similar to you, making my hook from a long strap of steel bent to access as far as I could. I sharpened the hook end on the grinder to get under flaking liner. Finally got as far as I thought I could. After fiber-glassing the rub spot, applied the new Caswell's, improved the rubber between frame and tank, and everything is great, so far

Richard L.

Edit: Oops. Guilty of off topic from "today". Welcome to moving to better topic.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #29 on: 16.08. 2018 13:47 »
G'day all.
What a hot topic. There's the same topic on the CB1100 forum.
Last week I picked up an 81 CB900F very rough non goer as spares for my 83 1100F. Well I couldn't help myself and just had to get it going. After a few nights of checking all the ignition components and cleaning the carbs she sill wouldn't go. Replaced the starter solenoid and got a few bangs. Reversed the coils (PO wasn't an electricians butt hole) and got it running very poorly. 3 pipes hot 1 pipe warm. Took 2 days to find a dying spark plug was the culprit.
So tonight I did the valve shims, all 16 of the buggers. Got 15 of them spot on but out of the 20 or so spare shims I was short 1 size. Bugga. All a bit academic as I know the lump has to come out for new cam chains and god knows what else.
I was hoping to get it running and hidden before the wife comes home on Monday  *evil*
Looked at the BSA's and blew them a kiss.
Cheers   
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7