Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130023 times)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #45 on: 19.08. 2018 01:27 »
Attended Bristol bike show today (yesterday, it's after midnight) on my A10. Great show hooked up with some mates. Had a major issue when it came to leave. Couldn't get the bike into neutral. The kickstart would not push down even with the clutch engaged (disengaged?). Was able to move bike so knew clutch was fine. Have had problems with the kickstart quad jamming and usually frees up by putting in gear and rocking bike. Not today! Being convinced that i am stuck in third i think why not give it a go and see if i can make it home through the busy city traffic. A nice gentleman on a t......h gave me a push to jumpstart, popped my lid on my head, put my gloves in my pocket and wished me good luck. Off i set through the crowds revving like mad and slipping the clutch. Managed to find top gear (my brain had melted at this point)  Pulling away from the lights and roundabouts was fun(?). Was only when i got onto a clear, fast road that my idiocy became clear. Guess who forgot which way the gears go? TWAT (seems to be the word of the day). All the time i had been failing to find neutral i had been in top stamping downwards (looking for 5th?). Stopping and starting became a lot easier when i worked out that i could find lower gears just by lifting the lever up a notch! Serves me right for considering taking an alternative vehicle (bmw). Will be checking primary chain tension on the morrow. Needed a few beers to help me learn to continue living with an idiot (T..T).
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #46 on: 19.08. 2018 08:49 »
Good one Glen.
Modern grips are for modern bikes that don't vibe let alone shake!

Went for 200 mile ride for lunch at Bermagui Pub. Guess what I forgot to do before leaving home??? PUT IN MY TEETH!!!!! Good job fish was on the menu!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 19.08. 2018 09:43 »
PUT IN MY TEETH!!!!!

You'll have to change your handle to GUMMY BEAR.   ;)
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #48 on: 19.08. 2018 16:48 »
Put in a couple of hundred miles in the Northern fastness but then got a puncture. Didn't quite have all I needed to fix it. Had to call out the recovery Van of Shame. Must review toolkit!
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 19.08. 2018 19:03 »
Filling in for yesterday: adjusted valves, fitted valve covers, emptied sump.  changed oil and filter, dressed wires and hoses, trimmed one plug wire to correct length after discovering the plug cap was falling apart, replaced plugs, cut new rocker banjo gaskets from gasket stock, replaced tach cover screws and lock wire.

Today: wahsed and polsihed, rode 20 miles to local vintage bike show.

This moment. siitting inside the Triumph dealer where the show is happening and waiting for the judging results. Prediction: 2nd place BSA of nine, assuming one of the original or survivor A65's will win out over my bike, which some might think of as tarted-up.

LJ, are you sorry you asked?

I'm going to post some pics in a few minutes.

Richard L

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 19.08. 2018 20:03 »
Update: did not place in show. Three places taken by A65s because they are so rare and hard to keep going. No, not bitter at all. I voted for the B50

Richard L.

beezermacc

« Reply #51 on: 19.08. 2018 23:31 »
Just starting my second project of the year. I thought I might build the engine first so had a good look at the crankcases, nothing to see really.... until I saw some PO had sawn the end off Popeye's pipe! I wasn't aware that there is a shortage of 5.5mm ball bearings! Why else would anybody do this? I spent half an hour on the lathe making a new end and brazed it on with 5.5mm ball installed. Will be sourcing a crank tomorrow, and helping a mate with squeaky fork springs so will spend the afternoon removing mice or slapping grease all over the place. Will report which was required tomorrow evening.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #52 on: 20.08. 2018 05:15 »
hi guys, beezermac can you explain( PO had sawn the end off Popeye's pipe!) cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 20.08. 2018 06:03 »
hi guys, beezermac can you explain( PO had sawn the end off Popeye's pipe!) cheers

I’ll have a guess.....the sump pick up pipe?
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

beezermacc

« Reply #54 on: 20.08. 2018 08:43 »

I’ll have a guess.....the sump pick up pipe?

Correct! The bottom 4mm had been neatly sawn off so the ball bearing was missing but the horizontal bar which stops the ball bearing getting sucked up the pipe was still in place. I've no idea why anybody would do that. It was a good job I spotted it before assembling a bottom end without the anti-drain valve in place. For those who aren't aware, the purpose of this is to prevent the return side of the pump draining into the sump whilst standing. If the return side of the pump dries out completely there is the danger that it won't suck when the bike is started, a common problem on new rebuilds if you don't prime the pump properly.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #55 on: 20.08. 2018 10:25 »
Nice to see this topic so busy, not sorry I asked at all. I find it a real source of encouragement to get on and do things, and you guys seem to be doing that just nicely.

What have I been up to? Well.... Nothing much with my A10s as they are in good fettle but will check over the Blue A10 later this week before Missus and I go away in campervan with bike on trailer, want to go to the Brighton Ace Cafe run next month, will be posting pictures of that on the day.

Meanwhile in shed.... M21 gets a paintwork touch up, been doing that for the last couple of weeks. I'm using a Landrover brushing cellulose paint and it's fantastic stuff to work with, nice and thick, easy flowing. Will be done in a day or two and ready for the Wimbotsham classic bike show http://www.fenmanclassic.co.uk/

Anyone with one of these bikes will know of the quick detach rear wheel which is kinda 'frighteningly so'! Just one long spindle bolt and one nut is all that holds the wheel on.  :o
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 20.08. 2018 11:05 »
Anyone with one of these bikes will know of the quick detach rear wheel which is kinda 'frighteningly so'! Just one long spindle bolt and one nut is all that holds the wheel on.  :o
Same as my Plungie then?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #57 on: 20.08. 2018 12:04 »
Mounted speedo and cable today.

First time since I have owned it that the bike is in one complete piece.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: 20.08. 2018 12:21 »
Yesterday I took part in a VMCC ride of 60 miles around Banbury, Oxfordshire. Some great machines took part. Sorry I have no photo's.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: 20.08. 2018 13:49 »
Rode out on my Loop frame  Eldorado – ‘Jug’ to The Trip Out up in the wilds of Suffolk for the weekend. Camped out on the Saturday night amongst the psychedelic weirdness of it all. Bike ran very nicely, it is more a state of mind when out and about on that one. Single sided TLS on the front is awful though, I put new shoes in but next up will be rearranging the lever angles and making up a stouter cable.

The pal I went with did comment that I don’t seem to use my A10 much. I guess I just don’t ride that much generally, and I have a few other rides available.   
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza