Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129740 times)

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #570 on: 07.05. 2019 15:25 »
Started my 51 plunger tonight; first kick - last run was 7th December last year.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #571 on: 07.05. 2019 17:31 »
Finally finished the B.
Rebuilt Gbox, fitted Bob Newby belt drive/ clutch.
Applied fettling befitting a bike that’s been laid up for 2+ yrs.
Started 4th kick 😃
Running very well

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #572 on: 07.05. 2019 17:48 »
It's been a while, nearly 4 years, but today I cleaned up my replica RGS ready to get her going again. A few (repro) rubber parts have perished and failed while in store, cable ties and fork gaiters, and the oil is ALL in the sump. After cleaning she doesn't look too bad! Ready for more attention.

I think I have been inspired by dropping in (by car!) on the Cheshire BSAOC pub Concours last Saturday in Lower Peover. A good turn out of, it seemed to me, mainly A10s.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #573 on: 07.05. 2019 22:34 »
hi guys, came across this one recently, cant see the point really, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #574 on: 08.05. 2019 08:37 »
G'day kiwi.
I've seen a few front mounted carbs on race bikes. Mostly two strokes, four strokes take a lot more work.
 Usually mounted carbs get fed warm air that has passed over/around a hot motor. Carbs at the front get nice cold air. Much better for performance. Downside is they also get fed crap from the front wheel!
The Matchy that beat my cafe for a trophy on Sunday had a different approach.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #575 on: 08.05. 2019 10:19 »
It’s MOT week for me this week. As the 40 year exemption rule rolls on this becomes less and less arduous. So I just have four lined up for tomorrow – ’81 T3 (Blue), ’07 ZRX1200 (Zed), ’81 Morini 500 (Camel) and ’89 XLH1200 (Hardley). I guess it’s not long for the T3 and Camel now, though the Camel will be listed as soon as it has a ticket.

These bikes have all been on SORN over winter. Moving things around out there I found the front disc dragging badly on Brown (H1 500 Kawa), and lifting the covers on Hardley there seemed to be a lot of fur on the engine cases, must have skimped on the wash before that one went away.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #576 on: 08.05. 2019 10:25 »
CB, I can only dream of having a stable of two-wheelers to choose from  *dribble*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #577 on: 08.05. 2019 10:49 »
CB, I can only dream of having a stable of two-wheelers to choose from  *dribble*

It's a double edged sword. I know from other, err - enthusiasts, that there is an equation for the right number of motorcycles that you should own and that is n + 1. But for me it is not. Not when most of them are older clunkers that need fairly regular attention, and you are still having to hold down work 5 days a week.

That H1 didn't turn a wheel last year. My Nimbus has been parked up for over a year waiting attention to the charging circuit/dynamo/VR. I reclutched the T3 over winter, along with my pal's V50. My 'hot' Bantam build has stood for over 6 months. My A10, god bless her runs great, even after standing for months - but doesn't get ridden. My vegetable plot is a weed strewn wasteland.

My obsession chasing down n +1 currently stands at 14, and something has to give. This year 'll be selling off the Camel, a Honda Helix scooter, and the Sunbeam - if I can ever get the wretched thing running again. 

Poor me.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #578 on: 08.05. 2019 11:47 »
if you have the pleasure of thermostat controlled storage you can never have too many toys, a friend of mine has 3 garages full of toys but they are in the gods of condensation heat and freeze. the problem is things rust, oxidize sweat and perish , when he wants to ride one its a case of a full day preparation or more depending on how long they have been stood. to my way of thinking they are going to the dogs instead of being things of pleasure, it is like having too many lead acid battery's if you don't tickle them every now and then they will be of no use when needed.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #579 on: 08.05. 2019 15:03 »
Was out on the Enfield last night. Realised that my rebel outlaw biker image is gone when I got a big wave from a little girl clutching her teddy bear.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #580 on: 08.05. 2019 18:25 »
I thought I'd already posted this.
Yesterday I adjusted the tappets. If you were following my long-winded series of posts about my cam followers wearing you can imagine I'm a bit paranoid about tappet clearance. I had set the gaps to 8 thou. When I rechecked yesterday, after only 20 miles, all the gaps were tight; about 5 thou. Why?
I adjusted the gaps to 8 thou again. I'm off to the Cheshire BSAOC weekend on Friday. I'll probably total 200 miles over the weekend. I'll know after that if the problem is solved.

Despite using new fibre washers the rocker banjo's were seeping oil after the first short test ride. Experimentally, I've removed the fibre washers and put a chunky O ring under each of the banjo's. The O ring does not squish out. The banjo's are against the rocker box. I chose O rings that were slightly larger diameter than the rocker spindles and had about a 3mm Cross section. Following a short ride, no oil had escaped. I'll let you know how this experiment goes.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #581 on: 08.05. 2019 21:56 »
Hi GB,
Its fairly normal for the tappet clearance to close up a little over the settling in mileage
I believe its due to the valves settling into the seats or stretching a touch
8 &10 is the normal setting for a 356 cam
I set the clearances a little loose on a new build to compensate somewhat for the settling in

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #582 on: 09.05. 2019 17:25 »
So 4 MOTs and 4 passes - £118.60 all up. Issues?

Battery on the Camel was completely dead so the battery had to go on charge and that got slipped down the running order to last place.

No pilot light on the T3. Pulled the lamp to find no bulb (?). Pulled the lamp on the Loop frame to find I'd directly soldered the bulb itself onto the wires on that one (no bulb holder). Pulled the lamp on the V50 and robbed that (MOT due in the autumn so I will be scratching my head again then). Sounded like the left exhaust port was chuffing by the time I got down there (and it's only a half mile). This is the first ride out since the clutch and gearbox job so I guess it needs reseating and pulling down better at the port.

Pulling the covers off the Sportster revealed an acreage of furry alloy - it's not a bike that gets much attention it must be admitted. So that got a wipe over with an oily rag before it went down.   

ZRX has been stored with a full tank and fuel stab and fired up on the button. Good old Japanese reliability. All a bit faster than I've been riding this last 3 months. Feels like a killer.

The Camel has the butchest of the horns on these bikes and by this afternoon I'd got enough charge into the battery to even sound that. Usual issues with the left side kicker both to go down and come back. This was the first time out since I'd had yet another go at shimming the clutch. As expected it now has a beautiful action but absolutely no chance of getting neutral once at a standstill.

Advisory on the Harley for a thin rear tyre, and rear wheel bearings on the T3.

Which one would I like to be riding down to the ports this evening with my passport in my pocket - well the T3 of course.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #583 on: 09.05. 2019 17:34 »
Hi GB,
Its fairly normal for the tappet clearance to close up a little over the settling in mileage
I believe its due to the valves settling into the seats or stretching a touch
Ah, that's ok then
8 &10 is the normal setting for a 356 cam
John, I set the tappets as if my engine is a Road Rocket, as per the Haycraft BSA Twins book. Did I do wrong?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #584 on: 09.05. 2019 17:39 »
Cyclobutch. Where you going?
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride