Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130388 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #735 on: 08.07. 2019 21:15 »
Started fitting my Thorspark ignition.
Got the coil mounted in the toolbox.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #736 on: 08.07. 2019 21:36 »
I wash my motorbike under the carport beside the house. The surface is those ornamental blocks, a bit smaller than a brick, laid on sand then earth. The water drains away very slowly, so we have a puddle across the surface for a couple of hours. Today I removed a 2 foot square of blocks, dug out soil to a depth of 2 foot and filled it with tamped down gravel. I've replaced all but two of the blocks at the lowest point, bringing the gravel up flush. My hope is that the gravel filled sump will hold enough water for me to wash the bike without flooding then it can slowly drain later.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #737 on: 08.07. 2019 21:47 »
Ride on Dartmoor. Sharpitor on the horizon.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #738 on: 08.07. 2019 22:18 »
"Rode the A10 to a barn warming party."
What, did you set fire to it?
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

beezermacc

« Reply #739 on: 08.07. 2019 23:32 »
A couple of weeks ago I ran out of fuel just as I approached our house so I trundled the bike up the drive and parked it in the garage. I took the petrol cap off the tank and had a look inside with a torch.... yep... absolutely bone dry! Today, in preparation for tomorrow's ride out I thought I ought to put some petrol in the bike so I nicked a gallon out of one of my other bikes and poured it into the tank. The fuel pi55ed out through the petrol taps as quickly as I poured it in! Obviously, if the tank is bone dry, the corks dry out and the taps leak.  Wise after the event! Lesson learnt!

..........Fitted new corks to taps, rode to petrol station, filled up with fuel.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #740 on: 09.07. 2019 14:51 »
OH yes they definitely do
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #741 on: 13.07. 2019 19:59 »
Finished fitting a pair of ABS panniers, took 2 days because of a ruptured ligament in my left shoulder - got there in the end though - but had to keep calling on my wife to help.

Cost £52.40, including buying bracket & clips to fit mudguard stays, aluminium & steel flat bars, stainless nuts, bolts & washers to make up the fittings plus 1m x 25mm wide heat shrink to cover the flat bars.

Looked into a set of Craven/Dragonfly panniers and for small Dolomites it would have cost £491.76 and that would have meant replacing my existing ss carrier rack with one of their W racks to fit them.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #742 on: 13.07. 2019 21:20 »
Neat, Roger
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #743 on: 13.07. 2019 22:30 »
Fitted the AM26 on the rear today, got the rotation right as well!!  A good clean and polish and all looks good for the next ride out.  Keen to find out how the tyre performs - doesn't look out of place either.  Any good tips on how to get the valve back through the rim, managed it in the end by guiding it through (carefully) with a small screwdriver - not too many scratches on the rim either.

GB - never comfortable with washing the bike, always clean with rag and WD40 for the sticky bits.  In any event, the oil, bugsplat and road grime never moves with water alone.  Use a bit of polish on the tank sometimes and Autosol for the timing and primary covers.  Cleaning like this always gives me a chance to check all the nuts and bolts are there and tight!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #744 on: 14.07. 2019 10:08 »
Back in the days I would often paint my A10 with Gunk and then hose it down. Came out the end lovely and clean and I don't remember ever having a problem restarting afterwards, which I always did to completely dry the electrictrickery bits. Not only that it smelled good for a few days afterwards, a mixture of hot Gunk and hot oil  *good3*.

I only clean my current A10 with WD40 sprayed on muslin and then I polish it with Mer. I don't have to ride in the rain these days (and I try to avoid getting caught out in it) so it doesn't get dirty enough to warrant a hose down  *smile*.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #745 on: 14.07. 2019 10:29 »

I read this thread but can never respond because the system would melt down
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #746 on: 14.07. 2019 11:07 »
I would often paint my A10 with Gunk and then hose it down.

Wonderful stuff back then, working on a farm we found sheep dip did as good and smelt exactly the same so go figure, as they say, sadly today's Gunk is not the same stuff, (probably down to some of the ingredients in it back in the day)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #747 on: 16.07. 2019 20:07 »
today I decided to blow the dust and other problems away by taking betsy beezer for a thrash about. its been that long since we have been out together my helmet and gloves were coated in thick dust *whistle*. it must be 3 months since she was started and she hadn't wet her sump *good3*, the oil tank level being the same as when she was parked up after a sunny march ride out. I turned the petrol on and gave her one kick with the maggy still earthed- she has a key ignition that turns her on and off. I put the choke lever down on the mikuni jumped on the kickstart  once more  [key turned to unearth] and she was up and running- -- choke off and we were off. I only did about 50 miles but it put that  ;D back on my face once more. listening to those reverse cones at 4000 revs and at tickover is better than s+x, ps somebody mentioned their oil getting hot not long ago, when I got back I couldn't hold my hand on the oil tank . the only problem I got was no back brake as such , I swapped the shoes for some old originals so it looks like the modern ones will be going back in . thankyou for listening. *grins*

beezermacc

« Reply #748 on: 16.07. 2019 23:31 »
Fellow forum members will have noticed that my avatar is a BSA with a Rotax engine so I am suspecting this post will get chucked off due to the engine being non-A10, but the frame is A10, problem for Admin - sorry! Anyway, after lying unused for about seven years I fitted a new carb and it started first kick, sounds awesome! It looks really scruffy and i'm planning to do some mods so I'm not going to spend a lot of time smartening it up until the mods are tried and tested..... but this bike WILL be back on the road this year, promise!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #749 on: 17.07. 2019 07:54 »
G'day beezermacc.
Lucky I'm blind in one eye, so can only see the frame!
Is it a Btax or a Rosa?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7