Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129126 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #750 on: 17.07. 2019 10:28 »
Stop-light had stopped. I found a broken wire inside the rear number plate holder box.

The clutch has been slipping a bit lately. I felt/hoped the problem might be a stiff cable so yesterday I fitted a new cable, also throttle and front brake cables, all bought from Draganfly.

After mucho fiddling:

First, waiting for oil to run through the cables. Note to self, buy one of those cable oiler devices.

The pattern handlebar brake lever was locating the drum nipple on the cable on one side only. The folded metal of the lever was too wide. I used a G-clamp to squash the lever a little flatter, so both sides of the cable drum are now in contact with the lever.

The throttle inner cable was a little too long. The mid cable adjuster was not able to take the slack out of the cable, so the throttle slide would not fully lift. I modified a slotted cable collet to fit in the top of the carb. I also had to change the twist grip as the friction device in my old one was no good. Luckily I had a nearly new spare twist grip in my box of bits. I made sure that the throttle slide fully retracted into the carb body.

Clutch cable; the adjuster is a long way out of the gearbox abutment, (but still uses all the threads).

I  then took Emily for a spin.

First thing I noticed, it might be my imagination, was that she was more sporty; got to 70mph, (112kph) in no time! I'm wondering if the previous set up was not fully lifting the throttle slide!

The clutch was easy to use, but on early gear-change with heavy acceleration, the clutch slipped. Bugger!

The Front brake, as always, was excellent.

So, when I got home I took the primary cover off and tightened the clutch spring adjusters by a quarter turn. We'll see if that is enough to stop the clutch slipping. I've never changed the clutch plates during the time I've had the bike; they may well be the originals: The bike was 18 years old when I got it and I've not put huge mileage on it since the restoration.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

beezermacc

« Reply #751 on: 17.07. 2019 13:37 »
G'day beezermacc.
Lucky I'm blind in one eye, so can only see the frame!
Is it a Btax or a Rosa?
Cheers
It's officially known as a  BSA Rotax Gold Star for insurance purposes but known locally as 'That A10 Rotax Thingy"!

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #752 on: 18.07. 2019 19:03 »
today I replaced the oldie brake shoes in the back sprocket/ drum with the modern lined ones. I haven't tried it yet!! but shock -horror found that the rivets in the crinkle hub had cracked every one of the eight welds that were put on across the drum and rivets  to stop them coming out , it must be the way I ride her *roll* another thing I noticed is the play in the drive ring and the hub. if I put the brake on I can rock the wheel backwards and forwards. also side to side like when the swing arm bushes are shot, but its not the swing arm its the wear in the drive. has anyone else with crinkle hub noticed both these sorts of play on their bikes?

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #753 on: 18.07. 2019 19:53 »
Bergs, very common across the crinkle hub series. I know from experience, thought the end of the world had come.

A new splined drive ring in the drum will remove some of the backlash, but the way you ride there is no cause for concern here because the driven faces will be under load for 99% of the time, and a small clunk on the over run will be lost on the wind. Mine clunks a bit, but the rubber ring keeps it reasonably quiet. However, excessive wear on the splines will allow the drum to rock laterally, as close fitting splines offer additional support to the back face of the drum, less support with loose splines. Check in the same way you check for wear in track rod ends on your old motor, by grabbing the drum, front and back, see how much it rocks.

More interesting is the wheel hub. It is a basic cylinder with the two crinkle pressings riveted or bolted to it. Flexing of the parts cracks and shears these fixings. If the sideways rock is not visible outside the hub, the bearings or bearing locations are at fault. A small movement at the hub feels bigger at the rim.

The options are a different wheel, or to repair yours by stripping down to the bare hub, vee out the  centre crinkle join and weld the two crinkles and centre tube together. In manufacture the crinkles were pressed onto the tube, and over time this tight fit loosens allowing slight movement between the parts, fretting the holes, loosening and shearing the rivets.
  The rivet or bolt holes can also be used to plug weld on to the centre tube. With a bit of force and luck it may be possible to hold the centre tube still and rotate the crinkles equally until the through holes  are covered, allowing  good plug welds onto the tube. Then put it in a lathe and turn a nice flat bottomed vee just down to the tube between the crinkles and weld the three parts  into a good solid unit. This is easier than trying to replicate factory rivets, and a more effective repair. A whole lot stronger than original, and with the welds smoothed off, job's a good 'un.

Swarfy.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #754 on: 18.07. 2019 21:37 »
hello swarfy ime very busy this weekend, docs and pub tmow *beer* and taking old car to a show on sunday with FOR SALE signs in abundance! *doubt* anyway I will study the sideways rock next week and find out what's going on!  [there's a song in there somewhere] I can remember now this side rock was there when I first had the rivets welded up and when I put the wheel bearings in many years ago everything went ok. I will be on the case next week and carefully look for why this is happening. your idea with the v and weld is a good one *thanks* but a job for when brothers workshop is running *dunno*.  I didn't think the welds that run from the hub and across the rivets for about 1 inch would crack open like they have. the rivets can't fall inside though because the weld stuck on them prevents this. amazing what you find when just swapping brake shoes *bash* ;)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #755 on: 21.07. 2019 10:35 »

Hola bergs- when I read this the other day, I didn't quite grasp the deal, but re-reading I think I'm with it...I had a buddy weld up the rivets waaaaay back before I had a welder and was as silly as now....and also did same on the hub I'm now using, I think bought from spacebay -neither as chronic as yours though.

Before welding the rivets, I suggest a good idea to ensure the two halves are aligned so the spoke holes are oriented accurately with regard to either side- probably more relevant if an undressed hub , but spokes will need re-tensioning after if dressed

A few weeks ago I had a sticky rear brake after having it off for some reason and thought it was same as your issue but due to the chainwheel sloppy on the spline and thought that was what you meant (unlike the worn rivet syndrome), but as it was fine before having it apart, I had another look and all I could do was re-chamfer the shoes and seems to have fixed it.....for now

This is obviously not the same issue but kinda related....... *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #756 on: 21.07. 2019 21:04 »
Well, Big Jim is still on the road.
It all began on Friday eve, after, work prepping for a Sat night away with friends. I worked out why the finding of gears had become tricksy, an overtight chain. Caused by some numpty (me) setting the tension whilst bike on centrestand rather than when off stand and loaded. This led to fun and games resetting the rear brake, trying various cables, arm positions and a spare arm from a C15 which gives alternative angle. Looking for that magical right angle and potential improvement. After 3 hrs and ready for bed i decide to position the bike to the rear of garage to allow loading of other bike (for wifey). Heave, lift, crunch! Tail light smashes into workbench. After a number of expletives, super glue is found and the painstaking process of jigsawing the pieces back together begins. An hour later and i am using a file to try to remove the treacherous substance from most finger tips. In a general malaise off to bed.
Sat, all change, weather stays pretty dry and off we go. Tried to meet other friends on route to Devon but messed up on sat nav and sailed on past motorway junction, Quick phonecall from motorway hard shoulder and soldier on regardless. Attend air ambulance fundraiser at a cafe in Crediton, meet friends, then overnight with beer,bbq and bonfire. Next day 7 bikes,mostly classic set, off for Seaton (40ish) miles away for another air ambulance fundraiser. Loads of lovely bikes to enjoy.
All in 192 miles in 2 days, bike ran really well and all is good in Big Jim's garden this week. *countdown* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #757 on: 21.07. 2019 23:19 »
I'm glad your BSAing Jim. Will you be able to get to Hampshire camp next weekend?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #758 on: 21.07. 2019 23:29 »
Not sure, may have to spend some time with brother. Will decide in week. Am keen, my skittles arm is on fire!
 *beer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #759 on: 24.07. 2019 22:22 »
Spent some time today cleaning and fettling the bike in readiness for next weekends BSAOC camp in Hampshire.

I have an excellent Halcyon handlebar mirror on the right. Today I ordered another one for the left side so I can keep an eye on traffic coming up from behind on slip-roads.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #760 on: 25.07. 2019 00:55 »
 I finished up the fork rebuild, both seals were leaking since the first day it went down the road.

I had built and installed a set of fork dampers (Thank you John for the drawing), and find the forks too stiff now. I used Del-Ray 10 weight, I think I will drop to 5 and try that.

Not bad going from 20 weight and clanging the whole way down the road, to never clanging at all. I am just too big a sissy to have the forks that "uncushy."

The list of things that still need sorting is getting very small. I think I would like turn signals and a place for my backpack maybe.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #761 on: 25.07. 2019 09:49 »
... I think I would like turn signals...
I am against retro-fit indicators. When I ride with old bikes I constantly see indicators still going long after the junction. I once witnessed an accident caused by this. I use hand signals; requires a twist grip that doesn't snap shut when my hand is lifted.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #762 on: 25.07. 2019 12:21 »
Cleaned up the crankcase halves today. Reseated the anti wet-sumping / anti-drain ball. Waiting on new big-end shells and crankshaft shims to arrive. Measured the old single shim at 0.015", but there had been no end float.
Tested the Timing side bush for leakage, as I do not know whether the crankcase opening had any ovality when it was fitted years ago - there were some air bubbles, but since I was getting 60psi cold and 40psi hot and the new bush has only 80 miles on it, I'll be looking to seal it without the expense of machining the crankcase and fitting a new oversized T/S bush.
I am thinking I'll place a thin line along the gap ( probably only 1 or 2 thou and let it sink in and hopefully avoid filling the oil galleries with loctite. Which Loctite should I use??  - I have 641. I won't be racing the bike (and the crank has now been dynamically balanced)
At this rate I'll be lucky to ride the bloody thing before I drop off the perch.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #763 on: 25.07. 2019 12:24 »
Hi GB,
Over here nobody looks for hand signals. I fitted indicators and I also have forgotten to turn them off a few times. Maybe the lesser of two evils.?
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #764 on: 25.07. 2019 13:01 »
Hi GB,
Over here nobody looks for hand signals. I fitted indicators and I also have forgotten to turn them off a few times. Maybe the lesser of two evils.?
Col

I fitted an eagle eye LED to my handlebars as a warning light, it works very well as a reminder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-LED-Buckle-Eagle-Eyes-DRL-Daytime-Runing-Lights-Warning-Fog-Lamp-Design/312584977017?hash=item48c7843a79:m:m534HtSCaBgKhAdlH3EkqmA 

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK