Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130129 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #825 on: 16.09. 2019 04:40 »
G'day fellas.
Well today I made the biggest phu(k up ever *ex* Yesterday went for a short 80 mile blast on the A7 plunger. 60-70mph the whole way to scrub in new Dunlop TT100's. Stopped at a mates place and smelt fuel so kept going to home. Fuel leaking from bottom of tank so quickly siphoned out the remaining fuel.
Today as I have the week off I pulled the tank and saw it was leaking from where the tap screws into the bottom. It had been repaired before. Out with the dremel and wire brush. Plugged the holes and hooked up the air compressor to find the exact spot. Well I forgot the reg wasn't working so it got full pressure. I heard a pop  *eek*
The tank has spread cracking the paint and the sides of the tunnel are almost touching and badly creased. Bugga  *ex* I don't think I'm capable to fix it so now the decision. A new Indian one but I can't see one the same (screw holes for the badge wrong) for $500+ or take it to a panel beaters and probably get charged $500+ and then re-paint it *ex*
I looked at my spare tank and it's been badly moth eaten. Double Bugga.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #826 on: 16.09. 2019 06:33 »
Hi Muscrat, Be wary of the Indian tanks, I bought one for the A10 and looked the bees knees and fitted well, didn't leak but the chrome is not good first time out in the wet and got home and rust spots around the round tank badges. Ordered one for a friend and came with nice dent in the side. Got in touch with them and they said if I send postage cost they would send me another tank and I could keep the dented one. Did that and got another once in good condition (for an Indian one). Used a tyre lever in the filler and gradually over a couple of weeks of occasional dressing got the dent out beautifully so my mate got two tanks one of which he sold and got his money back. Would suggest you look for a good original second hand one and maybe someone here on the forum might have one. Good luck. Gerry

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #827 on: 16.09. 2019 08:43 »
Musky, if it held a good 6 Bar then the rest of the metal must be pretty good and worth saving, so as long as the bits you can see are OK, use your skills to chop out the bottom, and repair or fabricate the damaged part. Then get your friendly welder to do the hard part for you, this should cut your costs a fair bit.

A replacement tank, either Indian or a used original tank may bring more problems...they are both unknowns in the grand scheme of things.

Swarfy.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #828 on: 16.09. 2019 11:18 »
G'day Gerry.
Yes I'm skeptical about the Indian tanks or anything else for that matter. I've had quite a few duds over the years.
G'day Swarfy.
I spent the afternoon up at a mates place. He has a porta power with a set of opening jaws. I was able to roughly open up the tunnel enough to fit over the backbone of the frame. I used a ratchet strap around the tank and bolts through the mounting lugs to bring it back in to within an 1/8". A washer each side will take care of that.
Tomorrow I'll pressure test again (this time with a reg set at 15Lb) to see if there's any new leaks for him to weld up. Then it's strip the liner, I think this one was KBS and re-line with Por15. Then it's back to re-painting.
Yes till now the tank has been pretty sound only leaking at welds
So there go's my week off work! Bugga. I'm still kicking myself for not using a reg.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #829 on: 16.09. 2019 11:33 »
well Musky that is not easy to read. i'd be kicking myself. we've all done dumb things tho you'll be able to look back on this and have a great story to tell. well done for fixing it. what else were you going to do with a week off anyway??? (no need to answer that)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #830 on: 16.09. 2019 22:29 »
Musky, you are better off with a hand pump to test for leaks, you don't need much pressure. Even 15 psi is pushing it.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #831 on: 16.09. 2019 22:44 »
I've just read about your tank problem Musky. You must have gone crazy when that happened. I hope you can get it sorted without too much grief.  *work*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #832 on: 16.09. 2019 23:07 »
 G'day GB.
Yes I walked away for an hour or two beers before I cut my wrists LOL.
G'day Trev.
Yes 1 bar is more than enough now that it has been weakened. I can blow 1/2 a bar with my lungs.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #833 on: 17.09. 2019 01:09 »
G'day fellas.
Well today I made the biggest phu(k up ever *ex* Yesterday went for a short 80 mile blast on the A7 plunger. 60-70mph the whole way to scrub in new Dunlop TT100's.

Hi Musky,Thought you were going to blame the TT100's for a minute. Good you could sort it *beer*   

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #834 on: 17.09. 2019 07:26 »
Haven't seen that done for a few years. Even with a hand pump, put a ratchet strap round the tank before any pressure test. Saves the interesting sight of your tank turning into a pair of water wings before your eyes. Bummer. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #835 on: 18.09. 2019 16:30 »
First run after the second iteration of rebuild on the A7SS, 80 miles was a nice little jaunt from Deal to Sellndge, then up to Reculver for lunch at the café by the towers and a pint at the Fitzwalter Arms in Goodnestone on the way back whilst I fixed their bar billiards table.

Making the most of it! hip replacement Monday after next will likely curtail riding for the foreseeable future.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #836 on: 18.09. 2019 16:55 »
Making the most of it! hip replacement Monday after next will likely curtail riding for the foreseeable future.

Good luck. Why don't you ask if grease nipples can be fitted while you are there?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #837 on: 21.09. 2019 17:24 »
Went out on a run with the Sunbeam Owners Fellowship Southern Autumnal Rally. Ok it's not a BSA but they are closely related. My one is the green S7 at the front with the white box.

Jim

1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
what have you done with your bikes today
« Reply #838 on: 21.09. 2019 17:50 »
I have not had time for a decent ride for ages so today myself and betsy beezer went for a thrash *smile* two kicks with no ignition on and then first kick fired up . all the oil had stayed in the tank and none of the clutch plates had stuck. we went for four and a half hours  first a quick visit to brothers about 7 miles away then all over the Derbyshire hills and we really enjoyed ourselves. I had time to study bits like dynamo charge and was pleased to see at about 1800 to 2000 revs with lights on it was charging nicely - 30mph in 4th gear, this is with a v belt set up. when I got home girlfriend said she heard me opening betsy up on the roads that stand about a hundred feet above our house level. betsy on song  *grins*   only one missed gear  *pull hair out* *bash* 2nd to 3rd when on full chat!! *eek*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: what have you done with your bikes today
« Reply #839 on: 21.09. 2019 18:40 »
When one of the chaps at the Isle of Wight left on his hot A65 I could hear his exhaust for a good ten minutes as he rode across the countryside.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK