Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130236 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1530 on: 05.01. 2021 08:01 »
G'day Fellas.
With about 3 weeks of rain we finally saw sunshine today. So this morning I fixed the fuel tap and primary leaks on the plunger and went for a short burst. A lap of the block (50km) and a few schooies at the pub. When I got home the Cafe looked out of sorts so with fresh fuel she had her first blast up Scenic Hill and around the same block. I now know why I keep her. I also know why I can't ride her far! Anyone know a good chiropractor?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1531 on: 11.01. 2021 12:33 »
On Saturday I thought I'd start the project ('62GF with different engine / front wheel) and check the timing. Selected 3rd gear, pushed back onto the roller starter, pressed starter switch and eased the clutch out slooowly. Nothing - blown 13A fuse on the mains-powered starter. Replaced that and tried again - and again and again... After 4 fuses I gave up. OK, so it's cold and turning over is harder, but these starters are supposed to start any bike and 13A @ 230V is around 3bhp. So I called my son and he came over on Sunday.
Same process, though with an extra pair of hands we were able to get it turning over decompressed before dumping the decompressors. Fired up straight away. Checked the ign timing and it was running fine. My son therefore tried it on the private road outside my workshop. Front wheel was pawing the air on full throttle in first - very encouraging. Even more so because my primary drive means the gearing is way too high (or low in engineering terms) - 1st gear is around where 2nd should be. Even better was when it stalled - a quick kick on the kickstarter and it was alive again. I was so amazed (given the starting issues I've struggled with on this bike) that I switched it off and tried it again. Started immediately. Things are really looking up. Wonder if it'll now start from cold on the kickstarter?
So I'm looking for a 49t rear sprocket (for FWH). There's none on ebay, not even a plain sprocket I could weld on. Anyone in UK have one they would sell?
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1532 on: 11.01. 2021 14:04 »
Bored at the weekend so I pulled the front off the engine on Blue the T3 to check the timing chain and tensioner. It was fine so that was a waste of time, except it kept me busy I suppose. Undersealed the front mudguard whilst it is off. Waiting for a new gasket and oil seal now before I put it all back together.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #1533 on: 19.01. 2021 21:29 »
Thought I’d add to this post as it’s not long enough!
Pulled the forks out this evening ready for overhaul. In the process of making a tool for removing the fork seal holders. Plenty of posts on here with dimensions thanks all👍🏻

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1534 on: 19.01. 2021 21:39 »
Bought a fork seal holder removal tool for about £20, would guess that the materials and time to make one would be uneconomical?  Having said that, the one I bought wouldn't fit inside the holder so had to grind a few mm off it.

Tell you what, as soon as the weather gets above 15C, I'm off on the bike come what may.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #1535 on: 19.01. 2021 22:25 »
Bought a fork seal holder removal tool for about £20, would guess that the materials and time to make one would be uneconomical?

Not when I’ve got an unlimited supply of stainless at work, choice of four lathes three bridge ports not to mention five cnc miller’s.  £20 well saved and it will fit

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1536 on: 19.01. 2021 23:12 »
well I do hope you did it out of work hours and only borrowed the metal and electricuty , we can't have these methods taking off willy nilly all over places of work. company profits are the upmost important thing I will have you know, I wouldn't dare use the coal board workshops whilst working in the stores next door ;)

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
« Reply #1537 on: 20.01. 2021 07:39 »
well I do hope you did it out of work hours and only borrowed the metal and electricuty

Of course I did Berger ( cough cough ) that’s the beauty of running two cnc millers. Once I’ve set them up running I can dabble on other machinery. I’m the go to guy if someone needs a “special” making. As for borrowing metal it’s sacrilege what go goes to the scrapper from this place. Anybody near Leicester that wants any billet shout out. 👍🏻

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1538 on: 20.01. 2021 11:40 »
alex kettle I know what mean about what goes for scrap, our scrap bins were my treasure ,my 3ft long 1/8th inch wall 1/1/2 inch bore stainless tube I rescued from the scrap has had many uses over the years. to many goodies to mention. if the works I was at was still open barrel bores cylinder head work and all the good things we need to keep these bikes running would not be a problem. the turners and other engineers thought I was crackers , and they weren't wrong but they did me many jobs I couldn't tackle ps worth noting your offer in case of what might! be needed in the future *smile*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1539 on: 20.01. 2021 16:07 »
Respect guys, I'm a scavenger myself!!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #1540 on: 21.01. 2021 22:26 »
I noticed I have SAGGY BAGS...  *eek*   Or I should say a SAGGY SADDLE BAG on the plunger which was sagging inwards towards the rear wheel.. a quick mod to the bracket & all's well again..  *smile*
So I then drained the sump, 1st kick start & took her for a blast...    *woo*   Life's good..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1541 on: 22.01. 2021 00:25 »
G'day Fellas.
I thought I'd fixed the primary leak on the plunger. This morning 1/4 cup of red oil in the drip pan. Bugga! Back to the drawing board.
Over the years the screw boss's have been worn by a loose clutch basket so modifications were effected. Welded up screw boss's and a modified drain by building up with weld, spot facing and now a bolt used.
Just another fix when the lump comes out for a rebuild. Looks like it's getting closer!
Shaking head I walked over and packed the HD for a w/end ride.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Miker

• A's Good Friend
  • Rockingham , Western Australia
« Reply #1542 on: 22.01. 2021 00:51 »
Been buying bits and pieces over the last 6 months. Have got a srm oil pump, Brand new carby and had the magneto reconditioned (note to self don't hold the spark plug lead and spin it to check for spark OUCH!!  *countdown*) Anyway I have had the drive side engine case machined to take a oil seal and have got the barrel and crank in the machine shop to get sorted.  Getting there slowly slowly.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1543 on: 22.01. 2021 07:03 »
Snow lying here. Did get finally round to fitting the carrier to the Enfield Bullet. It has only taken 4 years or so. The bike is 1998 and the year of the changeover from cycle and to metric threads and has an interesting mix of both. Two lots of spanners in the tool kit.
Pic is just in case any of our upside down cousins are feeling in need of cooling down.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1544 on: 22.01. 2021 08:49 »
G'day BS.
That looks soooo good except I couldn't ride in it.
Nothin on the BSA's but got the HD ready for a weekend ride.
Bugga, bugga, bugga. Trying to get one of those cheap Zodiac fuel caps (left) to seal I left the bike sitting upright for a few seconds. Turned my back and heard the crash. The f/r blinker took the brunt (smashed) but lucky I had stone guards on the tank. A good crack in it and not the tank. Why is it most damage is done standing sill in the shed? After 6 beers and 4 rums!
Gaffer tape to the rescue. W/end ride tomorrow, nuthin's going to stop me.
Cheers
ps: Thanks Woz for the stone guards.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7