Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129153 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1545 on: 22.01. 2021 09:40 »
I think I can help ya out with the indicator & Fuel caps too when we go up North..   *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1546 on: 22.01. 2021 14:28 »
After owning the bike for 25yrs (neglected at the back of my workshop for all but the last couple) the project was at last booked in today for its inspection and registration in my name this coming Monday. Bureaucratic nightmare as is usual (lost the bill of sale etc). Hoping all goes OK now and they don't get too hung up over the engine and front wheel change. Whether they can start it or not will be another matter (I can't without rollers) but then they've never been able to start any of my bikes, not even first / second kick starters. 'Oh, that's a fuel tap, is it?' is the sort of comment one gets.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1547 on: 04.02. 2021 01:05 »
Well the cackle of a big bore two stroke will soon be heard in Perth's eastern suburbs!
PE400 is almost ready to start, now that I have made new shocks and got it on two wheels.

My BSA collection look on in envy - so little weight, so much power!

Richard

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1548 on: 04.02. 2021 11:01 »
G'day Richard.
Yum Yum Yummmmm.
I had a 250 twin shock in the 90's. It was a weapon. Threw most friends off!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #1549 on: 05.02. 2021 00:07 »
Hi Richard, that should be ideal for the next time we go to the old Broad Arrow cemetery on the Orabandon ride ;)
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1550 on: 05.02. 2021 01:28 »
We had the most suitable bikes last year!

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1551 on: 08.02. 2021 15:24 »
Have taken the A10 out for it's second blast with the hone, new rings and previously troublesome head. I felt it was too cold to be working so seemed ideal for a bike ride. I needed to let off some steam, see if the bike still works and find out how long my fingers can last. I did a trip to Tesco to justify the outing.
The bike starts and runs well. I may have eased the valve guides a little too much as there was a little smoke coming out of the right exhaust upon my return. the big bonus is they are not sticking open at least. There was no debris in the sump when checked and only one of the tappets needed adjusting prior to departure. All in all am still content and just need lockdown to end and the weather to not say "feels like minus 7"
 *woo* *doubt* *beer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1552 on: 08.02. 2021 15:29 »
Today? Absolutely nothing. To damned cold to venture into the workshop and certainly too cold to ride a bike. Not a teenager anymore, and as most of my bikes are 6v (two 0v, one 12v) that's not enough to plug in my electric blanket.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1553 on: 08.02. 2021 16:09 »
Not so much with the bike - that's ready to go.  I donned thick coat, fleece, hat and thermal undies and went to the garage to build a metal bench from some scrounged 4"x4" galvanised conduit which had been sitting around on my neighbour's shed for the last 5 years.  I wanted a tough bench which I could keep outside and wouldn't rust, which this hasn't for the five years it's been outside.  Bolted the top together using old shed bolts from my late dad's extensive collection.  Legs went on yesterday.  Just need to finish off with edging, grind the legs down to spot on length, brace the legs as there's a fair bit of flex at the moment, work out a retractable wheel system and a pulling handle and the job'll be a good 'un.  Total cost £4.99 for 100 rivets. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1554 on: 08.02. 2021 16:19 »
Swapped some bikes around so I could get my Hardley into the garage and up on to the table. Got the back end all pulled down for some remodelling. First time that's all been apart since it left the factory in '88.

Lightweight rubber mechanics gloves take some of the sting out of handling ice cold tools.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1555 on: 18.02. 2021 14:16 »
Both bikes the A65 and the A7 have stood in the garage now  since back end of November so decided to start them up the A7 had to drain the sump as it wet sumps, can only go three weeks without draining the sump but it stated first kick and hasd an even tickover. The A65 does not wet sump at all, it took 3 kicks before it started but this is not unusual as being an early model 1963 the carb is hidden behind the side panels and to tickle it there is an extended lever attached to the tickler but you cannot see if the carb has flooded so I time it holding the tickler down for about 10 seconds then try kick starting  some times it starts straight away but if after a couple of kicks if it does not fire up I hold the tickler down for another 2or 3 seconds then normally startswhich it did this time and it also ticked over nice and evenly. I was a bit surprised at the even tick over of the A65 as in previous years with the fuel in the tank having stood for at least 3 months it normaly starts OK but will not tick over evenly you have to keep your hand on the throttle to keep it running. This never happens with the A7 however the old fuel does not affect it, so what I do is come the spring I take most of the fuel out of the A65 and put it in the A7 then when I take the car for fuel I take a can and get a gallon of fresh fuel for the A65 then with fresh fuel it will tick oveer evenly.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1556 on: 19.02. 2021 08:40 »
And by the way, my XLH is dry sump and I had occasionally thought - so why doesn't it wet sump? Well this time I reckon it has stood unused for nearly two years and it has. And I've drained the petrol tank as I have to do some work on it, but I won't be pouring it back in.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1557 on: 19.02. 2021 13:10 »
Yesterday an old mate who loves Bultacos called round. Had a couple of crankshafts and a cyl head in his hands, so no work on my bikes then. The Bultaco crankshafts have pressed-in parallel crank pins and the cranks weren't running true. First up was .012" out and a real bugger to set right. Don't think I've ever had to use so much violence with a 2lb copper hammer (I always correct the rotational errors first, before springing the flywheels closer or further apart to finish off). Took a good hour. That crank hadn't had a new big end, but was serviceable. 2nd crank had just had a new big end installed by a well-known motorcycle organisation in southern UK and was better at .005" out. That one was much easier - only took about 15mins (I aim for less than .002" runout) How anyone does pressed-up multi-cylinder cranks I've no idea. Seems to me aligning 2nd or subsequent crank throws would probably upset the previous ones. Happy to leave that to someone else!
Lastly, removing broken exhaust studs from John's cylinder head. He wanted to drill - I prefer heat. Trouble is, plenty heat is required, but how close is one to melting the alloy? I succeeded, but could just detect some sharp edges losing definition. Must get some of that heat tell-tale paint.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1558 on: 19.02. 2021 15:50 »
Got a Covid jag appointment for tomorrow - perfect excuse for first ride of the year.  Checked over the A7, started it, switched off the petrol and ran it until it stopped. Did the same with the A10, just to be on the safe side.
Ran the wife down in the car for her jag this morning and the staff very helpfully gave me mine too. So no first bike ride...  *sad2*
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1559 on: 01.03. 2021 03:42 »
Just came thru the molesworth road - about 100 miles unsealed thru a high country station. The only other bikes heading that way we're adventures. Pics show Rob on his lightning and my mighty b33, tank now held on with bungies after a few bolts liberated. Believe it or not, the rims are black.
We're heading north after the christchurch bsa rally. Whole run about 2200km. One bike sadly on a trailer. Our motto is 'other people have holidays, we have adventures'
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS