Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129937 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1590 on: 06.04. 2021 19:38 »
After months of dry building on my GF taking everything on and off four or five times I finally got my tinwear to the painters.

What a relief.

I wonder if I missed anything?

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1591 on: 07.04. 2021 10:02 »
Bought a half share in a really horrible looking Jawa 350 combo. Need to sort out collecting it from Scunthorpe - back to mid-Essex. Nice long ride down the A1?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #1592 on: 08.04. 2021 02:28 »
Finally got the new bushes pressed into my swingarm after having it powder coated.  Used a threaded rod, two nuts, and stacks of washers.  Started with a 1/4" rod but the bushes just laughed at it.  A 1/2" rod and lots of effort got the bushes most of the way in before the threads gave up.  Picked up a 3/4" rod on the way home from work today.  With a big pipe wrench and a three foot cheater bar it was relatively easy to finish up.  Could have saved myself a lot of work if I had just started with the bigger rod.  Now let's see what surprises await when I try to put the spindle through the new bushes.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1593 on: 08.04. 2021 06:13 »
Changed the B31's oil. Had to lie down to cope with the excitement.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1594 on: 08.04. 2021 09:26 »
MOTs for the T3 - Blue, and Zed - the Rexxer today.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1595 on: 09.04. 2021 21:53 »
now I know I've lost it!! the yonda is slowly going back together.  after scratching the head on and off for a few days wondering where I have put the right hand back wheel spacer I got another one and still had a big gap between swinging arm and back wheel.  a few days later I realised the brake caliper bracket fills the gap *doh* back wheel now in and onto the front. put forks in and offered up the wheel, oh dear another gap that shouldn't be there. I walked away and went back to it a few times and still couldn't understand it so fitted the two part back mudguard with the help of the hair dryer because you have to bend the blasted thing round the frame tubes *work*.  by half past 6 it was blooming cold and I decided to take another look at the front wheel but no fairy's had been to sort it out *help*. I wondered if I had misplaced another spacer but all was good in that department. then I unscrewed the sleeve nut on the right hand side and bingo!! it had a relief bored into it so as to let it travel further onto the spindle, pillock me had put it on the spindle when I stripped it down the wrong way round!! *pull hair out* *bash* I now have another head scratcher because the throttle cables , yes two of them have dropped out of the twist grip and I don't know which goes in which slot *cry* oh well some more blind faffing to be done and what would I be doing anyway---- pubs are still shut!      thankyou for listening have a nice day and don't be  *sad*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1596 on: 09.04. 2021 23:01 »
Today, as I squeezed past my bike to get some rag for another job I pressed the horn button and the horn weakly responded. So the old girl hasn't died of neglect yet.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1597 on: 10.04. 2021 21:32 »
Well, given some time to mess today, I started by welding the side stand bracket back onto the frame of the plunger, whoever had fitted this (aftermarket I think) had failed to get any penetration and the welded blob fell off and the bracket slips whenever any weight is put on the stand.
Then received a package of bits from Priory Magnetos, (only ordered a day ago) so removed the old main roller bearing and commenced battle in the form of countless dismantlings and reassemblings to sort the end float, gave up for an hour after developing massive headache.
Went back to it after a pint of Doom Bar, honed the cylinders while I psyched myself up for another session with the bearing... Last attempt for the day... 1.575 thousandths, that'll do!
Now to take it apart again tomorrow when I put the new big end shells in and stick the rods on the crank.
What's the betting the end float will be way out again after I've put it back together.
Not a bad day
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1598 on: 10.04. 2021 22:31 »
today I managed to get out of reverse on the yonda *clap*. I got into neutral and went on a hunt for missing dust rubbers for the brake callipers that some how had ended up in a different garage to the one the bike is in *conf2* then the exciting bit commenced----[ you must know the saying that is fashion at the moment EXCITING TIMES AHEAD!   b-- locks  ]   as I got into first gear and things all went to plan very easily and all 3 callipers are back on. front wheel fitting was a doddle after rectifying my sleeve nut mistake *bash*  the yonda is looking more like a bike instead of many parts spread about in the kitchen , shed and garage *yeah*   note to self - shut the garage door it keeps the cold wind out *bright idea*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1599 on: 11.04. 2021 18:48 »
Finally got out and about yesterday - green laning with a couple of pals. I was on the SP370 for that.

Pulled all of the spares out of the sidecar of the Jawa outfit I've just bought a half share in. Looks like there is the whole of another 350 engine, albeit in bits. Might try and put this together to go in my old James Commodore.

This morning I pulled Brown the Kawa H1 out from under wraps, and after fitting a new battery and a degree of fooling with new fuel lines (the bike hasn't been run for at least a couple of years) things eventually lit up, albeit in a very smoky manner. Managed a quick run around the block.

This evening I pulled both of the wheels off Hardley the XLH1200. Time for new tyres.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1600 on: 11.04. 2021 19:17 »
got the back brake bled on the yonda with the help of the girlfriend then found out there was no ignition or lights or anything *pull hair out*before I started tarting it up everything worked *conf2* so out with the magic meter and found the earth strap that is fastened between an engine mount and the engine had decided to fail, it was fine before and hasn't been disturbed *problem* well I am not messing with that now everything is built up because it's a pain to get at. another earth now fitted and I have all systems go again. I am really gladder than Mc glad it was so easy to sort and not something else *good3*

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1601 on: 11.04. 2021 19:23 »
Fitted new Mitas tyres to replace Avons on my Super Rocket, now what to do with the old tyres, council tip will not take them.
! Certainly an issue when sourcing tyres on line.
Also tried the emery trick on front hub and treated the old girl to a new SRM heart, pity its now hidden.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1602 on: 13.04. 2021 17:00 »
Been putting loads of miles on and been trying to ignore the new rattle. Today was a play day so able to visit foreign (Wales) roads. Forced myself to have a casual glance at the bike with longer running and higher miles beckoning. There it was, easily fixed and ready for summer. Bike starts and runs well, especially with empty roads and an open throttle. It's a good job no seasoned ears are allowed to listen to it tho, am getting used to the ball bearing in a tin can sound and i can always use a bit more silicon in the ears. Hope to see some of yous lot out and about this Summer before it goes bang.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #1603 on: 13.04. 2021 17:05 »
New tank arrived today, so put it on - no problem fitting and both tap threads were  good..
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1604 on: 13.04. 2021 19:03 »
New primary chain and a primary chaincase re-seal for the incontinent primary on the Panther. Good old red ATF, you can see which particular part of the power unit is leaking.. ;)