Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130356 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1650 on: 06.05. 2021 14:19 »
Hi Berger,
 I used about 40 hex-headed Tek Screws, just small ones. I forgot to count them, but I think they all came out. Fortunately, the tank cap boss is flush on the inside, so nothing catches on the way out.
Problem I have is that the tank is beautifully chromed and painted, so researched the method least likely to affect the finish.
I have a little 1970 Yamaha YL2G in storage, the tank still has fuel in it after 15 years *problem*. Just never got around to emptying it. I might try apple cider vinegar on that. I've heard that it works well.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1651 on: 06.05. 2021 21:49 »
Mint ride this evening. Was only going to be a short one to see how the newly fitted head goes and ended up going that bit further. One third was into the Sun which i never enjoy being blind in one eye and it lies pretty low to the horizon from 8 pm. The other two thirds of the journey was spot on. Remind me when i get down on this bike why i love it! The noise, smell and excitement is proper quality. All oiled and fuelled ready for a longer day out tomorrow into that there Wales with a mate on his Kwaker W650, gonna be fun for sure.
 *woo* *good3* *beer* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1652 on: 06.05. 2021 21:59 »
All oiled and fuelled ready for a longer day out tomorrow into that there Wales with a mate on his Kwaker W650, gonna be fun for sure.
 *woo* *good3* *beer* *beer*

Wish I could be there for the ride and *beer*.  I would really love to ride my A10 in Wales.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1653 on: 06.05. 2021 22:25 »
G'day Fellas.
Got the head on the Cafe so before putting the rockerbox on I measured the combustion space. +80 pistons = 684cc.These are 8:1 Gandini's. R&R rods that are a bit longer than std and an A7SS head opened up to match the bores and SR valves. Chambers measured 28cc which equates to 12:1  *eek*. At least now she might be a bit easier to kick over.
Not much will get done now as it's Mothers Day and Deb's birthday this weekend.  *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1654 on: 09.05. 2021 20:12 »
ooo baby chips & gravy , the yonda got a bit of tube and a funnel connected to the carbs and some go go swig poured in and she started up  *woo* but she's a bit ruff , not too ruff and talking of my mate ruff who had a rough trihard it would have been his birthday today but the 1200cc bandit i told him not to buy took him away *sad*... anyway an old mate who sold me betsy the beezer 42 years ago has got some of those carb guagey thingies and he says he will bring them so we can have a play. when the yonda is satisfactory i can get on with the berger build. brothers workshop now has 20 double sockets and a 16amp weldering socket and a lovely floor that nearly killed me again helping him lay it. it will not be long before his lathes and other machines are in and working i hope *beer*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1655 on: 09.05. 2021 20:25 »
Bergs,
I love your crazy posts. Berger is the new duTch.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1656 on: 09.05. 2021 20:40 »
G'day Bergs.
She won't run right till the carbs are balanced. Easy job with the right tools. Do 1&2 then 3&4 then bring the pairs to match. May take a few go's as they move when the nut is tightened (like our A's timing).
You need either a Colortune or a very accurate tacho to set the pilot screws.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1657 on: 10.05. 2021 09:52 »
Pulled the leaky carb on Hardley the XLH on Saturday. Didn't find anything and didn't expect to. Hopefully it is OK now - early tests suggest so.

Sunday I took Jug the Eldo Loop out for a ride in the lanes to a Suffolk bike show. A good ride but not much of a show, but that's the right way round at least. Saw this there. Don't like steampunk.   
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #1658 on: 10.05. 2021 12:00 »
Yesterday was meant to be the first post-lockdown organised run out with one of the local clubs hereabouts  . . . Hmm.
45 miles from home, AMC mounted,  08.00 hours Sunday morn, 5 miles short of departure point  . . . grinding deflationary halt. Bugger.
Luckily, a friend with a Yamaha gave me a lift back home to get my van, and the afternoon was spent cursing doing my absolutely unfavourite job. Surprisingly large hole, will see if I can get the cover plugged with one of the things that are good on tubeless tyres, as it had quite a bit of life in it, that K71. Meantime, I stuck an Avon Roadrider on, with a new super thick Moto-X Michelin tube, as it was the only new rear end 19-incher to hand. Oh well  . . . worse things happen, could have been at speed, on a bend, not in a straight line in a speed restricted area. 26mm x 2.5mm sharp objects will go through anything though, if they get the angle right!
Bill

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1659 on: 10.05. 2021 12:40 »
26mm x 2.5mm sharp objects will go through anything though, if they get the angle right!
:(
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1660 on: 10.05. 2021 12:59 »
26mm x 2.5mm sharp objects will go through anything though, if they get the angle right!

Nailed it!

(Sorry the ride got ruined.)

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1661 on: 10.05. 2021 13:03 »
Don't like steampunk.

I don't mind rhe art, but I do mind that the builder had so liitle respect for that "A" that they turned it into an unridable bauble.

Richard

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #1662 on: 10.05. 2021 14:09 »
G'day Fellas.
Tonight I tackled the dreaded rockerbox. I'd like to say I got in one go but it took two. Copper gaskets seated nicely. Tomorrow night I'll set the tappets and throw the pipes, carbs, tank & seat on hopefully.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #1663 on: 10.05. 2021 14:20 »
Since I resurrected my old SR last year after decades of garden life, it's never had a dynamo that worked, so I bought a very cheap one off e.bay with no guarantee it would work - I powered it up on the bench and ........ it didn't !! - so I read all I could find on the subject (again) and everything looked in good order, so I was just about to bin it under the bench and I thought I'd just give the brushes a good thrashing with emery cloth, re-tested it and to my total amazement it fired up -almost 9V, so I thought I'd just try the same thing on my old E3L while still on the bike and .............. that worked too -  after 30+ years !!
Happy days ------ and nights. - Think I'll keep the other as a spare though.
This might help somebody else who's as clueless as me when it comes to electrics.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1664 on: 19.05. 2021 20:07 »
OK, here's what I did today.
Having collected the starter gearbox casing from my alloy-welding pal yeaterday, I set about re-machining the bearing housings and generally fettling until it fitted. This time, now aware of the huge forces involved, I have mounted the gearbox on a steel beam instead of an alloy one and sorted a much beefier rear support. The gearbox internals remain the same, although the sprocket is now located by a shear pin instead of being screwed on. The sprag clutch was fitted to the crank a few days ago. The pic was taken without the outside cover to show the general arrangement.
Next job is to start the bike on the rollers to confirm the (modified) ignition timing is OK and will reduce kickback possibility. Then it's fit the new dual decompressor lever I have on order, and see if the modified starter arrangement works. Let's hope so, 'cause I have no other ideas!
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.