Author Topic: A7ss side stand wanted  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
A7ss side stand wanted
« on: 15.08. 2018 17:28 »
My 1960 A7SS has the welded on lug to take a side stand. If anybody has one for reasonable money (I am a pensioner ...OK that's  90% of you on here  *smile*) I would be very interested in purchasing it.  Thanks.

Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7ss side stand wanted
« Reply #1 on: 15.08. 2018 21:50 »
Hi Atoll,
Finding an original good sidestand and its mounting lug is a bit like winning the lotto *???*
I saw one on ebay last week and put in a serious bid for it but was outbid with 2 seconds to go *pull hair out*

I think Burton bike bits have replicas but they are £100+  *eek*

Finding a mounting lug would would sort out one of my bikes as I have the leg  *????* *????*

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #2 on: 15.08. 2018 21:59 »
Hi Atoll,
Finding an original good sidestand and its mounting lug is a bit like winning the lotto *???*
I saw one on ebay last week and put in a serious bid for it but was outbid with 2 seconds to go *pull hair out*

I think Burton bike bits have replicas but they are £100+  *eek*

Finding a mounting lug would would sort out one of my bikes as I have the leg  *????* *????*

John

Hi John and thanks. I also put a bid on the eBay one as well but it was well below the winning bid which was over £120  *eek* I have the mounting lug already (I think standard) welded on the frame just ned the stand now *sad2*

Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.08. 2018 23:15 »
Hi Atoll,
One half of the "clamp" is usually fixed to the frame tube, (the early frames did not have them)
The outer "clamp" incorporates the leg pivot and spring anchor, This is the rare part, and difficult enough to make  *work*
I have made the frame mounted half for one bike that did not have one,

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2018 00:11 »
Hi Atoll,
One half of the "clamp" is usually fixed to the frame tube, (the early frames did not have them)
The outer "clamp" incorporates the leg pivot and spring anchor, This is the rare part, and difficult enough to make  *work*
I have made the frame mounted half for one bike that did not have one,

John
Yeah, I was aware that the welded half was probably standard and that the side stand had the other half along with the pivot. I am reluctant to pay £90 for a repo one but I may sell a few things on eBay to fund one if I can't find a secondhand one cheaper which is looking as if it will have to be the case. 

Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.08. 2018 09:32 »
The worry with a repro is that it might be made of a casting rather than a forging.  I bought an alleged NOS side stand. Every time I lean the bike onto the stand I wonder if maybe the stand is actually a cheapo casting and it's going to snap.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #6 on: 16.08. 2018 09:46 »
The worry with a repro is that it might be made of a casting rather than a forging.  I bought an alleged NOS side stand. Every time I lean the bike onto the stand I wonder if maybe the stand is actually a cheapo casting and it's going to snap.

I have had one snap on my A10, it snapped at the thinnest part just above the foot, the result was a nasty splintered fracture that could have caused a nasty injury. Luckily there was no damage to bike or self. This was a side stand that looked to be old and was on bike when I got it. I think the awareness should go to centre stands as well.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #7 on: 16.08. 2018 09:49 »
With the above in mind can anybody recommend a known decent side stand not prone to failure?

Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #8 on: 16.08. 2018 10:04 »
With the above in mind can anybody recommend a known decent side stand not prone to failure?

That's a difficult one, I don't think anyone can say. My side stand was, I'm sure, a good quality one. I seem to remember now the more I think of it, it was down to a heavily loaded bike leaning at too great an angle. I also had a foot peg snap on my B33 simply because the bike fell over due to a revolving side stand (ss was not welded on). Even good quality parts will fail when put beyond their designed use. I think you'll be okay with most things if you bear in mind it's limitations.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Offline Atoll

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7SS 1960
« Reply #9 on: 16.08. 2018 10:13 »

That's a difficult one, I don't think anyone can say. My side stand was, I'm sure, a good quality one. I seem to remember now the more I think of it, it was down to a heavily loaded bike leaning at too great an angle. I also had a foot peg snap on my B33 simply because the bike fell over due to a revolving side stand (ss was not welded on). Even good quality parts will fail when put beyond their designed use. I think you'll be okay with most things if you bear in mind it's limitations.

Thanks. I will probably end up going for one of tge £90 ones in that case which are said to be made here in the UK not that that is any guarantee.

Goucho Marx 1959.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.08. 2018 10:18 »
The angle of the dangle, as it were, comes into play. If the bike is pretty upright when on the side stand, as mine is, there will be less weight on it. I need to find a suitable place to use the side stand so the bike is not too vertical.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #11 on: 16.08. 2018 10:28 »
I dunno if you guys are like me.... When I park up, I always consider a shallow hole or bump or even look for stones, bits of wood etc, to assist the side stand when parking. Just to get the right angle for bike to rest.  *conf* (I must love my bike  *loveit* )
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 16.08. 2018 11:23 »
The other issue being - the greater the dangle the hard the lift back up to vertical.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 16.08. 2018 16:59 »
Hi All,
There's a certain amount of "adjustment" on the side stand angle, by loosening one bolt and tightening the other
I remember when I put the stand onto my SR frame I cut a wedge shaped piece of steel with a hole through it
that fitted between the stand lug and clamp which the upper bolt goes through,
The idea being the pressure is transferred through the wedge to the inner welded on clamp rather than the tension on the lower clamp bolt.
Anyway 16 years later it hasn't budged *smile*
The leg is from a plunger model I think? its the shapely tapered leg with a squareish foot on it
One corner is ground away somewhat from over exuberant cornering  *whistle* *whistle*

On my RGS project frame the outer half lug had broken and repaired badly  *problem*
This was then clamped back on the frame and obviously used for quite a while resulting in damage to the frame tube *razz* *razz*
It came to me without the centre stand! the twisted remains of the pivot pin remains were jammed in the mounting lugs needing removal with the  *work*

I hate it when I see A10 owners starting the bikes standing on the footrests with the bike on the centrestand
Something is going to break *warn* *warn*

Original stands side or centre have the casting numbers in raised print which makes them easy to identify

Rant over (for now)
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 16.08. 2018 20:53 »
G'day all.
Being somewhat vertically challenged I have to start my bikes with the side stand down (without standing on the footpegs). Luckily only had one stand break on the plunger. The clamp on type tend to slip/twist on the Cafe so a dob of weld fixed that. Having that one break 20 odd years ago makes me cautious.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7