Author Topic: E10 petrol (10% ethanol) coming to the UK  (Read 2551 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: E10 petrol (10% ethanol) coming to the UK
« Reply #15 on: 18.08. 2018 21:28 »
G'day BSA Biker.
I'm not aware  of any performance benefits other than top end lubrication. It doesn't blow blue smoke like it would with mineral oil and I'm sure the rings and bores last longer. And that smell is so nice!

A good indication for me is I've used it in the rHonda 1100 since I rebuilt her ($4500 just in motor parts). Rarely would I get 50,000 out of a bore and rings. Just done the 50,000 service and she's as tight as the day I did it, still showing 200 lb compression on all four and not a hint of smoke.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA Biker

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 18.08. 2018 21:41 »
Thanks for the info, not sure that I could find Castrol R here, so just ordinary caster oil then. Will visit the chemist next time I'm in town.

During the First World War, the early aviators used to get upset stomachs and the usual sh**s as well from the fumes of burnt caster oil coming off the engine. Those motors were lubricated on neat caster oil, and with it in front of you the full exhaust fumes got you because of an open cockpit. The solution was to drink copious amounts of whiskey, don't think you would get away with that now, but as the life expectancy of young pilots was only a  few hours whiskey drinking was the least of their worries.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 18.08. 2018 22:45 »
I use stuff called tetraboost ,its expensive but when I double dose boy does she take off, on the odd occasion I refill without it she turns into a bit of a slug and tells me shes not happy dad
Any other testimonials for Tetraboost?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 18.08. 2018 22:57 »

I asked how much for Castor at a chemist and 100ml bottle would've been Au$9 ($90/Ltr), figured that's a bit steep-not unexpected though- so asked at the local cosmetic/soap-making shop Au$40/Ltr...had a look on line and found another place in Perth $20/L +postage...then a model plane guy up the coast selling $45/5Litre, and was passing within a couple of miles anyway so snavelled a bottle of that...is that ok value?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #19 on: 18.08. 2018 23:27 »
mmmm castrol R in your petrol, the main problem with it is when your on your bike you carnt smell it unless you've got a commandy fastback, where the backs faster than the front. I think it could tend to oil plugs a tad but hotter plugs could sort that, it also tends to separate out and doesn't mix with mineral oil but is ok with synthetic if you want to top your tank up.----Greybeard TETRABOOST ie rocket fuel is real leaded fuel with ethanol protection ie my carbs never varnish up anymore and after winter lay off she didn't think she was a steam engine.--{ a few winters ago moisture got sucked in a problem with ethanol} you add 100mls to 11and half litres of unleaded 95 to give 4*leaded 97....     100mls to 97 unleaded gives 4*99leaded...….. 100mls added to 99 unleaded gives 5*101leaded,, but when I pour it in I have lift off!

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #20 on: 19.08. 2018 06:32 »
Just a quickie, what are the benefits of putting caster oil in the petrol ? back in the 1960's as a stupid young rocker my friends and I would buy a pint of Castrol R between us and put  a couple of tea spoons in our petrol just for that distinctive smell. But were not aware of any improvement from it.

When will the powers to be wake up to the use of hydrogen for a propellant fuel, far safer than petrol and better for the environment, something that battery cars will never be, or carbon neutral for that matter.

The problem with hydrogen has always been the storage , transport & dispencing the stuff.
Then you have the problem of a hydrogen tank in a crash going Bang, with a capital B.
We ( us Ozzies ) have just started field testing a method using ammonia which is hoped to be commercialized in the next decade.
Sydney has a dozen or so Hydrogen powered buses that have been used for testing purposes for at least 15 years but on a bus there is plenty of space to put cylinders where they are not likely to get damaged.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #21 on: 19.08. 2018 06:45 »
Hydrogen is considerably safer than petrol. When petrol burns if forms a heavy vapour that spreads out at ground level and burns. With hydrogen, it goes up. Strangely enough, there were a fair few survivors of the Hindenburg despite it being the most spectacular hydrogen fire in history.
Doesn't solve the problem of the UK Government's intention to make it impractical to use vehicles with carburettors from 2020. Personally, I am extremely concerned as I don't have any modern vehicles. All my transport is done on old vehicles.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 19.08. 2018 08:22 »
TETRABOOST ie rocket fuel is real leaded fuel with ethanol protection ie my carbs never varnish up anymore...
...when I pour it in I have lift off!
Thanks Berger.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #23 on: 19.08. 2018 08:44 »
G'day duTch.
This is what I've been using @ 4ml/Lt https://tinyurl.com/ycurgs5l
Plus same amount of this https://tinyurl.com/yatezewm
Takes our 98 up to 105
Even use it in the mower!

Do the V8 Supercars still run E85?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA Biker

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 19.08. 2018 09:03 »
Hi Black Sheep, or should I say Baa,
You took the words right out of my mouth about hydrogen, its far safer than petrol, but no one wants to take the plunge and make it in greater quantities. Its not in the oil producers interest to do it at the moment, but later they will "invent" it as safe etc, just like unleaded is now, the car manufacturers will come on board as well, and the politicians in the pay of big business will sing its praises, only the farmers producing expensive corn will be unhappy. When will people wake up to the fact that battery cars etc are not green!.
On another track, its always the Welshmen who are the butt of sheep jokes, do you get it inScotland by any chance, or for that matter in New Zealand or Australia, both countries where there are more sheep than people.

Berger,  it was only a teaspoon or so of the stuff and the bikes (mostly 250's) in a group did have that distinctive smell of racing engines running on Castrol R, we all dreamed of having Gold Stars, but couldn't afford the insurance or the bikes for that matter. A friend of mine had owned  a 500cc DBD 34 model when he was young and talking to his wife about going back to bikes when he was 60 or so she came out with the immortal words, "how many times did you have to walk to work in the mornings because it wouldn't start". Flooded carburettor was the normal trouble, great when going flat out but a bastard to start, or run slow around town.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #25 on: 19.08. 2018 09:29 »
Any other testimonials for Tetraboost?
Hmmm.... I bought some of this years ago. and I never used it. It's stiil on the shelf in my garage unopened. The reason for this? The label is covered in skulls and crossed bones symbols, and full of dire warnings about the health hazards of handling the stuff. So I chickened out.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 19.08. 2018 11:41 »

G'day duTch.
This is what I've been using @ 4ml/Lt https://tinyurl.com/ycurgs5l
Plus same amount of this https://tinyurl.com/yatezewm
Takes our 98 up to 105
Even use it in the mower!

Do the V8 Supercars still run E85?

I looked at the Kart stuff and first thing I thought was 'Fuchs- not cheap  *eek* '... and wasn't sure if it was ' the stuff '...what color is it ?
  Mine goes ok already,  but  might try them at some stage for curiosity sake and compare.
 Here's a pic of the 5L of 100% Castor that i bought;

Dunno what the S-cars run...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #27 on: 19.08. 2018 12:54 »
a101960 elf and safety gone overboard, just don't drink it! they put warnings on because most people nowadays are thick as pudding,{ BSA riders exempt from this remark} I've used it for a long time and noticed a difference especialy when I refuel and haven't got any with me, but my engine is not of the lower compression variety one of the reasons I fitted a longer kicker to it. I am now going to the pub again and also look at some vintage {historic cars} in chesterfield town center. I will be taking photos of ernie my 1948 morris 8 {no insurance at present} to see if anyone is interested in buying it , I will need money for the featherybed project,. tata for now thanks for listenening *beer*

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 19.08. 2018 20:49 »
Berger, to smell ones own Castrol R, one needs to keep going around a roundabout until one feels dizzy.  I use Stabil Marine in the full up fuel tank for 6 months of winter layups, never had a problem in years and always starts 6 months later.......

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 20.08. 2018 11:23 »
I will be taking photos of ernie my 1948 morris 8 {no insurance at present} to see if anyone is interested in buying it
I hope you post them here
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK