Author Topic: Malleable Iron side stand?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Malleable Iron side stand?
« Reply #15 on: 19.08. 2018 06:21 »
Anyone have ideas as to welding this malleable iron?
My centrestand came without a foot lever extension, so I've made one and threaded it in but it needs welding.
Would braze do it? or what's best?

The centre stand on my Super Rocket had a broken leg which was bronze welded by it's P.O.  *eek*
I removed the bronze and MIG welded the leg back on, built up the worn foot with MIG and also MIG welded a short foot lever on. (Siamesed pipes) Disclaimer: I don't recommend welding centre stands, blah blah blah! LOL  *smile*

Center stands are either tube welded /braised into forged brackets or full forgings.
Welding a forging also changes the local microstructure thus weakening the the overall stand.
How much damage depends upon how much excessive heat ends up in the stand.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 19.08. 2018 19:26 »
Hi Trevor and All,
Here is a stand repair confession  *eek*
When I got my SR rolling frame  c1990 and was more ignorant  than I hope I am now about welding and the like
The stand pivot points on both frame and stand were well and truly knackered *sad2*
The only welding apparatus to hand was an AC electric plant
I ran beads of weld around the outside of the worn stand eyes and beat them inwards while red hot in order to reduce the hole diameter  *bash* *work* and so on until there was enough metal built up to "look right"
I welded up and filed the frame mounting holes  "round",
I got a piece of 3/4in mild steel bar and drilled it through 1/2in. faced off the ends so it would fit between the frame
mounts and arc welded it in place, drilled and tapped the centre of it for a grease nipple
I turned up a suitable stainless bolt and made the pivot pin
The SR has now been on the road over 16 years and the stand at least has not received any further attention

Did I just get lucky  *????*
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 19.08. 2018 20:41 »
G'day John.
There's a difference between a bodge by a dodgy and a skilled bodge. Even back then you were skilled.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7