Author Topic: Rattle  (Read 10746 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rattle
« Reply #75 on: 23.09. 2018 15:36 »
did you try the file? camshaft looks ok so  i'm going for rouge follower
Berger, I've just been trying the file test. I am able to mark the worn follower using a file on an area that hasn't been touched. However, I am also able to mark the other followers. I haven't been too heavy with the file because I don't want SRM saying I've mucked them up.

I'm thinking about using a reasonably good old follower that I have and running the bike to see what happens.

Yes Richard, I'll send the SRM follower back to see what they say.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: 23.09. 2018 15:38 »
I was expecting to see a cam in worse condition. Regarding measuring, rather than starting with complete disassembly, I think you could lay a reference across the top of the crankcase and measure down using a caliper. Should give accuracy within a few thousandths.
That's a good idea.

The cam looks pretty good. The lobe peak is smooth and not stepped between the wearing area and the untouched area.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #77 on: 23.09. 2018 15:42 »
I've just been using a tyre lever on the camshaft ends to see if it has excessive end-float. There is not much movement at all.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #78 on: 23.09. 2018 15:46 »
yes greybeard put another follower in everything I see would pass and the trough hasn't been starved or there would be a bigger mess *good3* make sure you wash it really well unless it has a paper filter which could have grabbed most of the nasties *bash*

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #79 on: 23.09. 2018 15:46 »
If you are able to find someone with a hardness tester then that could be very helpful.
There is enough untouched material on the ridge of the worn follower to give a reading.
Values should be similar to the other followers and 5 or 6 degrees RC harder than the cam.
The cam and followers need this hardness difference in order to last.
Usually the cam is about 56-58 RC and the followers are 62-64 RC
Does look like one soft follower is the problem.

Glen

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #80 on: 23.09. 2018 16:02 »

Yes Richard, I'll send the SRM follower back to see what they say.

If it was me I wouldn't be able to wait for the post to have their opinion.

Richard L.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #81 on: 23.09. 2018 16:29 »
The SRM followers should have stellite pads, not case hardened as I said before, on the surface. If you view the followers from the side you should be able to see it as slightly different colour, Stellite is extremely hard and should last for many years.

Photo shows a stellited follower from my bike. You can see the pad.

Could you post some photos of the followers from that view?

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #82 on: 23.09. 2018 16:30 »
You can tell by the witness marks on the non-srm followers that they are suitably hard, whereas the srm ones clearly are not. That's not a lack of lubrication issue, it's poorly heat treated followers. Why not put your previous ones back in? They look perfectly alright in the photo.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: 23.09. 2018 16:35 »
Sorry to see this GB, agree with the duff follower theory.
Camshaft will get enough oil mist when the PRV is not open, don't see it your fault, SRM wont check every single  part they get in so even the best can get caught out
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #84 on: 23.09. 2018 17:59 »
That cam follower cannot have been case hardened. I would be extremely annoyed had I bought it. Contact SRM and point out that that follower was not fit for purpose. You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act of 2015. A quick internet search will give details of your rights. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #85 on: 23.09. 2018 18:33 »
On close inspection of the worn follower, the Stellite layer can be seen. That's to be expected, as Julian posted above.
So case hardening isn't needed or part of the process on these followers.
How the cam cut thru the Stellite is beyond me.

Glen

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #86 on: 23.09. 2018 19:26 »
ok chaps really big boot i'm putting in here! *fight* I am sorry I carn't post a picy{I know you love them} I am sat looking at 4 SRM followers I bought last year, they were packed in a bag with oil, now i'm looking at them out of the bag and they are lasered or something similar with the logo SRM. the next thing I notice is they have a superb mirror finish even in the slots in the middle, everything about these followers shouts out top quality--- just been brave and run a file over one and it slipped off like a prossies pants, if you look at greybeards there is no SRM logo and they look as rough as a bears backside , i'm not saying greybeards weren't supplied by SRM but where is the SRM logo and superb mirror finnish *dunno* ::hh::

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #87 on: 23.09. 2018 20:07 »
I've decided to reassemble using a fairly good non-SRM follower. This hopefully means I can do the DGR ride Sunday.
The followers came from SRM. They looked pretty posh when they arrived. They were rather more expensive than the set I bought before.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #88 on: 23.09. 2018 20:27 »
Good luck with the rebuild GB. Hope the noise is gone and you can make the DGR! Did you have the camshaft bushes done on the previous build? Am a complete numpty re engineering stuff but could that have helped cause advance wear on followers if camshaft out of line? Undoubtedly a stupid idea. Mine is very loose and noisy and should be set right so that's my paranoia talking (have been to the pub but not with Berger *bright idea* ::hh::
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #89 on: 23.09. 2018 20:30 »
go for it greybeard *good3* , all I can say is yours have a finish like a grit blaster compared to these that I have here that are proper mirrored and SRM on them . some years ago I had  some rings off them that made me put up with loads of work because they were shaped like 50p pieces and throwing neat oil out, I played merry hell with them when they offered to send me some more, told them i'd got some gandinis from gaggs …----- the answer I got was that they had some of them on the shelf, so I said why send me the crap , i'm not putting it on a trailer and showing it ,I  ride it *rant* . I think sometimes they import from other suppliers to keep the wheels of $£ going round *razz*