Author Topic: Dual carb head monstrosity, Bodgery or???  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Dual carb head monstrosity, Bodgery or???
« on: 21.08. 2018 11:12 »
Cleaning out storage came across another treasure I had forgotten about.  (It was mixed in with some transmission parts in a crate) At first it was "WTH???"  And then, in fuzzy memory I recall buying this in Canada. (BC, where the loonies roam)
So I had cleaned off the dust and grease and had it out, when celebrity list member came to town and a visit.
(Brittwit Dan from Kansas)  So, I advised him to be careful, notify next of kin in case stacks of parts fell over onto him, and he got the tour.  (I probably talked his ears off).  He remarked "That is very interesting!"   I believe that is the southern gentlemans way of saying "You are crazy!"  But perhaps he really did think it was interesting.  (He made that comment several times).  But I at least enjoyed the visit, and he helped with a lot of BSA Knowledge and some info on one of my Goldstars that appears to have race history  and my off roader BSA.

So, back to the head, The casting numbers are long gone, but perhaps the list collective has some input or opinions on this.   The issue seems to be is this a period manifold, and was it intended for BSAs or something else?  Someone welded into place clearly, And the welds bother me, However it is secure. I will check with Liquid penetrant, but they appear solid and without leakages or pinholes.
My instinct is to want to polish and smooth the welds so it looks less cobbled. As well as the rough casting marks on the intake.  Other option is to radius and smooth the welds and rough areas and then do a water jet media blast and retexture the whole head and manifold for a stock-ish cast appearance and could tell some tall tales at the next bike show.

Anyone ever seen anything like this, or the manifold specifically??   *eek*

I checked the ports and theres a good match to the intake ports, there is a slight step that would prevent reversion but nothing that will impede incoming air/fuel.

Not sure what I am doing with it yet,  Static engine Artwork for display?  Sell it in Satans Swap meet?  Put it on some BSA project???

Input appreciated
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Dual carb head monstrosity, Bodgery or???
« Reply #1 on: 21.08. 2018 12:24 »
That could work ok, if you want a twin carb BSA.

It will look a bit gauche though.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
R e: Dual carb head monstrosity, Bodgery or???
« Reply #2 on: 21.08. 2018 12:27 »
would like to see it in situ, I fancy it would put the carbs very near the frame, could be wrong tho
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Re: R e: Dual carb head monstrosity, Bodgery or???
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2018 19:58 »
would like to see it in situ, I fancy it would put the carbs very near the frame, could be wrong tho

I have been sorting exhausts for a variety of bikes and long ago lost track to what went to what, So in the process of mockups and labeling parts. Been working on Nortons, but need to do the same for BSA. So kill 2 birds with one stone and check this head IN a frame and see how it looks. will update later this week
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2018 21:17 »
G'day Sluggo.
Bugga the head, I wan't those posters  *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2018 22:07 »
I have a collection of Biker movies and the cheesy "Bikes-ploitation" one are my favorites.  I found a guy who writes a cycle 'zine and sells weird obscure merchandise up in BC Canada and he made up posters of many of these movies and I bought a bunch of them.  My wife wont let me use them in the house but plan to in the new shop building.  I have used them at a few bike shows.  Always gets a reaction.  I had a stack buried in my office and was looking for some old posters and large blown up photos of period racing I wrote some articles for many years ago.  (I wanted  to show BritTwit the articles when he was here, but couldnt find the right pile)

**Used to be some famous people raced indoors on polished concrete, including Dick Mann and many others, Portland Expo center.  There was a minor controversy as at the time Mann was sponsored by BSA and rode a Triumph in some of these races, News paper coverage of "Cycle aces return to Portland" & "Spoke Speedster wins again!"  Some of these were Speedway bikes using Cubs, but I wrote several articles on some of this racing including SideWinders track as well"** 

So tangent aside.. I can look up this guys contact info, He sells some fun stuff. "Eric Von Zipper HATES you!"
and THAT is funny if you know your history!,,,  What would Fonzie Do?  and all kinds of posters, stickers, buttons and such.  Most of it really obscure but funny and cool.  Its especially fun when some person actually KNOWS this stuff.  Heres a period picture of Eric, Ratz & mice MC club, they rode Triumphs!

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 21.08. 2018 22:44 »
G'day Sluggo.
Bugga the head, I wan't those posters  *ex*
Cheers

One for Muskrat,  There is a TON of these movies, most the posters are way better than the films, Some real artistic license was taken.   While it would be nice to support my Canadian friend, and he is a cool guy,  You COULD just do a internet search and download and make your own as well.

My Wife DID let me put one poster up but I had to get it framed,, Its called "Drgstrip girl" and its another cheesy movie but she loves cars and has a 1969 Chevelle project, So I bought that and tease her often.

( Poster says "Car crazy, Speed Crazy, Boy Crazy, Wild women lay it ALL on the line!")

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #7 on: 04.09. 2018 06:15 »
Love the posters, but on the head have a bit of a conundrum, part of me thinks the manifold is just plain ugly and could do will milling off and starting again with a parallel port set up more like a norton. However once hidden under a petrol tank and with carbs obstructing it may not be noticeable, so suggest mocking it up in a bike with a carb on. Its never going to be seen from below or above, just in profile...
Otherwise appears promising
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 04.09. 2018 11:04 »
G'day RR.
I agree, a mock up is warranted. I'd be more concerned that the carbs will be aimed straight at the frame tubes.
With the straight manifolds like mine  it's hard to tell she's got twin carbs unless up close.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 04.09. 2018 13:19 »
Hi guys, yeah cut that lump off and start again, what was the thinking? Maybe someone thought that a large chunk of Ali would heat up and possibly create optimum evaporation for incoming fuel, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 04.09. 2018 15:16 »
 Is it possible they were trying to lengthen the intake runners and move the torque down lower in the RPMs?Maybe with runners that long they needed the material between tubes to strengthen the whole thing.

Or maybe they were just butchers and completely screwed this head up for no reason. *dunno2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 04.09. 2018 16:02 »

Or maybe they were just butchers and completely screwed this head up for no reason. *dunno2*

Since this is one of Sluggo's "lost treasures," it is conceivable that it could have been done, say, 40 years ago (for lack of any real info). Back then, I don't think scarcity of heads would have caused anyone guilt for messing up this one, or, if you're of the mind, making it a thing of hot-rod beauty.

Richard L.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 04.09. 2018 22:21 »

Since this is one of Sluggo's "lost treasures," it is conceivable that it could have been done, say, 40 years ago (for lack of any real info). Back then, I don't think scarcity of heads would have caused anyone guilt for messing up this one, or, if you're of the mind, making it a thing of hot-rod beauty.

Richard L.

Whenever I see a bike part referred to as “treasure” I get the image of Gollum (from lord of rings films) in my mind  *shh*

my precious my precious
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 05.09. 2018 05:13 »
 It could also be some type of motorcycle hill climb stuff.

If I remember right from being a kid, the carburators would have been more at an upward angle. Maybe they did that so the carburators were more level when on the hill.

Or maybe they did that because it looked cool. *work*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 08.09. 2018 01:34 »
I will post mockups soon, But back in town after spending a week up in the hills at the cabin. (Perhaps Ill post a pix of our other ride I spent time on, goes like hell on straights but corners are something else)

Im getting ready for the "All British Field meet" this weekend,,,  Mostly cars but we get a few bikes out there.
There is racing as well.

Next week might be rain so good time for some shop time.  Be interesting what it looks like in mockup.
tah for now