Author Topic: Timing side bush reaming  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Bsa Nut

• A's Good Friend
Re: Timing side bush reaming
« Reply #15 on: 05.09. 2018 05:52 »
Thanks for all the replies...
I was away at Davenport Swap Meet/Races, so I was out most weekend.

I've convinced myself to give it a shot here at home.
I've watched the above mentioned videos about line boring on the mill,
and I have the equipment.
I wondered about the reamers also. I have access to those as well.
I thought it possible to set up over the roller bearing side, then
set up the reamer in a collet, remove the top case, and ream the bush. (Statically only, not powered.)
I also have a boring bar, but I worry about the finish, as opposed to the reamer.
The shops Ive contacted either gave no reply, or were much higher in cost than seems necessary.
I'll keep you posted on the results...
even if it takes me a few bushes, its cheaper.
And its learning part that makes it fun.
Thanks again.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 05.09. 2018 07:08 »
in my opinion the expandible reamer is quicker and easier. buy or source the size of reamer and make a bush to fit the reamer shaft into the bearing outer fitted in the crankcase. these reamers are about a foot long and only take slight cuts into the bush material. cases should be tightened together when cutting, then try the fit after every cut. place the crank in a vice and drop the t/s case on. easy.
Yeah this is the way I would do it after watching the long U Tube video. I am sure BSA did it this way and obviously a lot quicker as the crank would be the same size every time, good luck, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

beezermacc

« Reply #17 on: 05.09. 2018 07:34 »
in my opinion the expandible reamer is quicker and easier. buy or source the size of reamer and make a bush to fit the reamer shaft into the bearing outer fitted in the crankcase. these reamers are about a foot long and only take slight cuts into the bush material. cases should be tightened together when cutting, then try the fit after every cut. place the crank in a vice and drop the t/s case on. easy.
Yeah this is the way I would do it after watching the long U Tube video. I am sure BSA did it this way and obviously a lot quicker as the crank would be the same size every time, good luck, cheers
I agree with the above. I've done quite a few of these with a hand reamer and always had good results. I keep the crankcases tightened up all the way through the process and try the crank in the bush on the outside. This works fine if you've just had the journal skimmed so there is no shoulder on the journal. So not necessary to split the cases every cut. I do a final fit with the crank in the cases just to make sure there are no tight spots.