Author Topic: Wiring for RGS type lighting with photo.  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Wiring for RGS type lighting with photo.
« on: 25.09. 2018 19:29 »
I have a loom and diagram for a standard swinging arm A7/A10, but I have bought a headlight in RGS style that uses the older style Lucas panel switch, I presume not a 41sa Lucas but the older model used for ages since before WW2... It's an Indian make ( quite good actually) but the switch they fitted is  with three SWX positions only "OFF" "L" and "H"? There's a picture of the underside of this switch in my  message just a few below this one.

Here is the topside:

When I connect the loom according to the BSA diagram, for a start there is no OFF..my headlamp is always on!

Question is any tips to making this work? I am handy with mechanicals and a dunce at electrons!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I think it will be hard to provide a simple answer if you are putting non-standard parts together. Is there no one near you who has the skill to go through the system?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Not really anyone, we are talking here of Africa......... I think if I had an RGS or GS  wiring diagram ( I can't easily locate one even on Google) I would be there..as it used the older type  switch mounted on the panel + ammeter  so common on Lucas MU and DU 42 etc type headlights....actually anything early 50's might work like a Matchless G3 or G80 diagram, come to think of it, circa '54? The RGS headlamp was a throwback to an older type of  switch IMO

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Wiring for RGS type lighting with photo.
« Reply #3 on: 25.09. 2018 22:23 »
I think that you will find that the terminal layout of both switches is the same.

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 25.09. 2018 22:34 »
Thank you Trevinoz and Greybeard for your encouragement to sort it....using a battery and a voltmeter, I am slowly cracking the codes.  I also  googled all the ABM variations and cporrect, they are very similar.There was a vital link between the ammeter and terminal 3 that was not provided in the loom kit, I have made one up. So Far I have got the following working:
Ammeter
Tail Light
Stop Light
Parking light
Horn

Still have no idea what the copper female that takes the place of terminal 7 is for....perhaps it IS another version of terminal 7.

Thanks

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.09. 2018 22:38 »
Well done for bravely venturing into electric lady land!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.09. 2018 22:40 »
The bullet receptacle and pair of arms are not required for generator systems but are used with an alternator.
I usually remove them.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 25.09. 2018 22:44 »

Sounds like the one I'm using which developed some finicky traits over the past couple of years....I wired it so the pilot light stays on with headlight...
 Maybe you could post a underside pic ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.09. 2018 09:04 »
This diagram for a separate  headlight with switch panel Super Rocket from the late owners manual.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #9 on: 26.09. 2018 10:33 »
Yup, which is pretty much the standard arrangement using that sort of switch, with dyn and regulator.
The 4 terminals used are:
#2 - for powering the dipswitch and through it therefore the headlight (and horn)
#3 - power in, from battery via ammeter (also connected to A lead from regulator, either directly as in Julian's schematic, or via the ammeter (as here if it pops up) but same thing).  If the battery falls off (!) or is otherwise disconnected then regulated dynamo juice comes up the A wire - and things keep working (flickery at low revs, ammeter shows nothing)
#4 - front pilot light only. Goes off with headlight on
#5 - tail and speedo / other instruments. Stays on with headlight
If unsure of switch behaviour, a meter on the resistance scale will show which terminals come live/ go dead / do sweet nothing in each position. Terminal #3 being the source of all goodness.
Good luck!
Bill

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 26.09. 2018 22:36 »
Many Thanks all who gave such great comments