Author Topic: fuel proof finish  (Read 1082 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
fuel proof finish
« on: 30.08. 2018 22:35 »
AAAHHH painted the ski slope for the umpteenth time and finished with petrol proof lacquer, and guess what - yes it had a drip of fuel and crinkled up.

Anyone got a fool proof method of curing this?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: fuel proof finish
« Reply #1 on: 30.08. 2018 22:47 »
mmmm maybe----- my frame was stoved some 30+ years ago and up till now nothing bothers it unless I chip it, *idea* so maybe tell your other half you've got to bake a cake---------all together now IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D OF BAKED A CAKE, BAKED A CAKE!

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #2 on: 30.08. 2018 22:54 »
Have spent my savings on a shiny one, assume it's stainless. I know it's not original but it.s easy to wipe the fuel (and oil blowing off the rocker cover) off. maybe take back to bare
metal, polish and lacquer that? Berger probably knows best, time to bake a cake?
 *smile* *eek* *smiley4*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.08. 2018 22:59 »
The ski slope I bought has a dull plated finish. I didn't paint it. It hasn't rusted.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 31.08. 2018 00:12 »
These are originally like most of the bolts, nuts, studs etc, Cadmium Plated (Cad Plated), which is a flat (dull) silver grey look...

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #5 on: 31.08. 2018 06:25 »
For that perfect, showroom finish I use brushing enamel paint. It certainly is pretty petrol resistant on petrol tanks so worth a try. O.K. you are talking a showroom located in the depths of an unlit cave but better than seeing your £300 paint job dissolve.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 31.08. 2018 15:44 »
thanks guy's, first move I think is to swap it with the one on my other A10 as I don't recall it suffering from this, perhaps the fuel proof lacquer I used is past it's use by date.

I always presumes black was the standard finish - seem maybe not - will look for a stainless one, I do like polished stainless (rims look fantastic), once I get around to the other bike I intend to use stainless rims instead of the alloys that it has now, will let forum know when they are surplus if anyone is interested.

Thanks again
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 31.08. 2018 16:06 »
I tried a can of that "petrol proof" laquer a few years ago, absolute rubbish. I do not know how trading standards let people sell things that simply do not work like this, and paint stripper that refuses to strip paint.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.08. 2018 16:26 »
...paint stripper that refuses to strip paint.
It appears that over about the last 10 years UK home use products have been quietly dumbed down. Paint stripper, paint, cleaning chemicals, etc. I don't know, but I suspect this was an EU mandate. And no, that is not a political comment. How hard it would be to obtain industrial products, I do not know.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 31.08. 2018 18:22 »
right I found a ski slope on line at a good price in two version chrome or powder coat gloss black, first thought was how does powder coat stand up to our fuel, time for a test so got some fuel and painted it on the frame behind the tank where it's not seen, it dulled the powder coat a bit but left for a quarter of an hour nothing more and it polished up as if nothing had been on it.

While I had a pot of fuel and a small paint brush might as well test a bit more first the ski slope, painted it liberally in two places expecting to see it swell and crinkle like the bit already there, no nothing happened even after being left some considerable time, then I tried painting fuel onto a spare oil tank that I had intended to trail different black painted and lacquer, painted the fuel on liberally over the tank ( tank coated with ordinary cellulose lacquer) and left it some time, nothing happened.

Next thought was a fir fetched thought I had a while ago that perhaps the rust treatment I used on the tank reacted with the fuel, so repeated the tests above with fuel from the tank - nothing.

Very strange, only other thing I can think of would be acid from the battery, but it hasn't been disturbed from where it sits, so I'm repainting the ski slope, will give it plenty of time to cure and test it with some fuel, if fine then fine else it's order the one on line.

That is unless one of you is a pal of Prof Brian Cox and can have a word in his ear about these quark thingy's
All the best - Bill

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 01.09. 2018 01:49 »
2K SS. (Single Stage) or even better with 2K clear over the top, petrol won't touch it then.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 01.09. 2018 09:32 »
2K SS

not familiar with this (or forgotten ) Jools, is it a brand or a type of paint
All the best - Bill

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.09. 2018 11:02 »
Sorry mate, 2K means a 2-pack paint which has 2 components, a paint, and a catalyst (hardener) which produces the chemical reaction which hardens the paint. Usually mixed at 2:1, or 4:1 ratio.
'SS' is 'Single Stage', which means that the paint doesn't need a 2K Clear over the top to be resistant to chemicals like petrol.
Personally I generally use a SS satin black for any black frame (full gloss is too glossy, unlike 1950's enamel), no need for a clearcoat over this,
but for a tank or similar I'll use 'basecoat' colours (single pack) with 2K clearcoat over the top. This is the finish used by modern car refinishing.
Petrol won't worry it.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 01.09. 2018 16:08 »
ah sorry now I can recall 2 pack, never used it, if my next attempt fails I'll look into it
All the best - Bill

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #14 on: 01.09. 2018 17:41 »
Be careful with 2 pack. Some advise full face mask with an air supply.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep