Author Topic: Removing magneto  (Read 436 times)

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Removing magneto
« on: 14.09. 2018 15:34 »
I know this has been done before but I can't find the topic/thread. I need to retime the mag due to excessive pinking but the extractor bolt doesn't just keeps turning. How do I get it off without clouting the end of the mag as I remember being suggested in the past ???
Thanks in advance
Andy

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Removing magneto
« Reply #1 on: 14.09. 2018 21:54 »
Are you looking for this topic?; https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=12777.0

I have two unmissable tools called patience and perseverance for this kind of situations. I often mislay them and then try without, most of the time with catastrophic consequences...  *angry*
The times I had the gear off, it was always at the point where I feared the thread was finally going to give up that the gear dropped off.
If your bolt came out without the gear coming off there's not much options left but finding a suitable puller or some small pry bars and try getting it off that way with the help of some concentrated heat. There's the risk of damaging the gear, but they can be bought and  replaced.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #2 on: 15.09. 2018 09:14 »
It will prob be a job during the winter lay up I have a court of ride outs and work rides while the sun shines. She is worse when hot and when I have tried the bolt does come all the way off

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.09. 2018 09:17 »

I remember someone had a recent similar issue, but not sure if what morris posted- maybe have a search
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia