Author Topic: Helmet wanted  (Read 615 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Helmet wanted
« on: 11.09. 2018 16:59 »
Do you have a motorcycle helmet that I can buy for the occasional pillion rider? Size, medium to large should be ok.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Helmet wanted
« Reply #1 on: 11.09. 2018 21:03 »
That would be illegal down here, to sell 2nd hand used helmets.
You don't need to spend $$$$$ on a Rossi replica. I've had a few from Aldi. If a helmet hits the ground it should then hit the rubbish bin.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.09. 2018 21:09 »
I've had a few from Aldi.
Oh, you have Aldi in Oz. Why am I not suprised? Lidl as well I suppose.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.09. 2018 13:07 »
G'day GB.
Not yet but their coming. Amazon recently started here. I've even started drinking Aldi beer, made in NZ! Just over 1/2 price of Aussie beer.
With helmets, size does matter. Too small = headaches, too big will come off in an accident.
Do you have an age limit over there? Must be 8 yo down here.
What's a pillion? No one game enough to get on the back of me *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 18.09. 2018 07:39 »
Vintage helmets have become a "Thing" some people are relining them and using them!  *eek* *whistle* *help*  I personally would never use one on the road.   As others have noted, One should NOT trade in used helmets with any thought of using them on the road or track.
Many experts also say they have an expiration on them as well,, old helmets dont hold up. 
However there is a market for them.   Some want them for shop or mancave decorations or your hipster bar or clothing shop. (Post LOTS of photos on Instagram to your followers)
Some use them as art projects.  Our annual ONE Moto show here in Portland has a very competitive contest for art work called "21 Helmets" and some pretty cool stuff being done.

See: http://the1moto.com/21-helmets/

On our old farm, and my shop & business the driveway leading to the shop bordered on my cow pasture and I had an old helmet on top of each fence post and a few I stuffed halloween masks with expanding foam and put the helmet over the mask and fence post.  Creeped out some people, but others would bring friends out just to see them and take pictures.  This was before social media,, I suppose It could have gone viral had I kept them.

I DO have Maggie Neato, and she is a full sized store mannequin, I use her in my stalls and booths for events where I do promotion work, She has a Norton leather jacket with large logos, Parachute pants,A very worn leather belt with a Norton brass buckle and it came from a famous leather shop called "Langlitz leathers" and held up the shop managers pants for 3 decades,, A Norton Silk scarf, and currently has neon pink wig, a Pudding bowl cafe helmet and googles.   Quite the cafe racer lass and stylish. 

I have some vintage helmets from the 60s and 1970s, And thinking of selling them, I had planned to use as decorations (Art pieces) but debating on trying to get some Hipster with loads of disposable income who wants them and will pay crazy hipster prices.   I have some crazy bubble face shields as well.   One of these helmets was worn once and I have the receipt from 1973.
My friend Lee came back to the US in 73 and wanted a BSA Twin 500.  Was not aware of BSA's woes and couldnt find any dealers with a new 500 twin in stock, settled for a B50 badged as a Triumph, and they wouldnt let him leave unless he bought a helmet as well.  *I THINK the Oregon helmet law had just passed at that time, *   But he didnt like helmets, so wore it once.  I have it.

My Friend Sir Eddy had an old Portland meadows horse Jockey helmet and very similar to a Pudding bowl cafe helmet. It had leather sides and strap.  Eddy wore it for years.  He hated that it made his head sweat so put it on his milling machine and drilled a pattern of small holes down the center for cooling which worked well.

However it didnt protect his noggin well,, and when he had his crash (Deer ran across the road, leapt up and knocked him off his steed, It killed him, but paramedics revived him. He died on the way to the hospital and was revived again,,, So, I saw it post crash soaked in blood.)    So, I dont recomend doing that sort of thing.

I personally bounced on my own noggin and thankful I was wearing a helmet, Dont cheap out,  Dain Bramage is a terrible thing.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI4c21w77JU   (I resemble this,,,, Dain bramage)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #5 on: 18.09. 2018 09:04 »
Hi GB
Before I spent big money on my Shark flip open helmet, I purchased one from Lidl has all the EU standard certs and was cheap less then £50. Still use it on occasion.
Ps no idea why I purchased a flip open helmet I have never used the feature, just liked the idea of riding open faced when fettling.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.09. 2018 09:08 »
I'll keep an eye out at Aldi and Lidl. Thanks Angus.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK