Author Topic: What can come loose will come loose.  (Read 659 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
What can come loose will come loose.
« on: 16.09. 2018 15:51 »
On the way back from last week's 180 mile round trip to see the Motorcycle Cannonball I lost the 1957 oil cap which  I borrowed from my in-the-works A7. (Thank you, I'm feeling the empathy right now.) It was completely dumb. At a fuel stop, I had looked at oil level before starting and put the cap on loosely with intent to check flow after starting. I forgot to check flow, rode off and, guess what, no cap when I got home. (The real bad news would have been if there was no flow.)

Not my only such story, but that's it for this post. I look forward to the you're-not-alone stories.

Richard L.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What can come loose will come loose.
« Reply #1 on: 16.09. 2018 15:58 »
Racers’ mechanics will tell you to always fully tighten everything, even when you intend to remove the item again.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 16.09. 2018 20:43 »
G'day Richard.
Your not alone. I did exactly the same thing on the plunger about 10 years ago. A mate behind said it missed him by "that much"
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3 on: 16.09. 2018 21:50 »
So far I've lost a complete metal battery strap, six engine bolt nuts and an engine mount bolt complete.  For the record, breakages include side stand, rear arrow head mudguard stay, front mudguard bottom stay and upper left bracket, crack in front mudguard, fibre gear on ATD, l/h fork seal and holder, speedo reset shaft, broken dynamo drive chain, fractured rocker oil feed pipe.  I won't bore you with the electrical faults, 'sundry' replacements and early failure items. *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 16.09. 2018 22:57 »
how the feck you managed all that wortluck, have you used a buttery finger and thumb  to tighten things ;)mind you I can talk, did some wireing bits in headlamp and some pillock started wanting me to do something so I forgot to tighten the clip up on the rim- yes my fault-  *doh* *bash* . bluddy thing came flying off at 50mph . I thought it had bounced and jumped a thorn hedge so i spent 40mins dodging traffic on a main road with only the grass verge and hedge. walked back to bike and said to girlfriend, sod this its gone. rolled a fag on the bike seat and as I lit it there was the headlamp rim complete with reflector sat looking up at me from the undergrowth.   small amount of damage from it crossing the road like barns wallace's bouncing bomb *woo*one retaining clip for the lens missing but not out of shape and fitted back on when I got home *clap*. how about this one- neighbour called me in to their kitchen to listen to an electric short hitting a KITCHEN FITTERS misplaced screw{ didn't trip any fuses, very old fuse box no RCDs} must have put my van keys down- needed van 3 days later- no keys, I started to take things apart *rant* to try and remedy this problem and while having another fag stood at their skip talking about their kitchen problems what was staring at me from some packaging they had cleared out of the kitchen?---- VAN keys.... two days later they must have slipped out of my hand whilst I was carrying a bunch of garage keys and the girlfriend found them in the strawberry patch when she was chasing the cat about *whistle* *red* who's a lucky boy then *good3*  *beer* wortluck tighten ya nuts------- its a good job mine are in a bag or I would lose those as well ::hh::  EDIT an old kwakerknacker key hung up in the shed got me into the van but wouldn't work anything else----- don't throw things away-- I nearly binned the hung up bunch of keys 6 months ago

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #5 on: 16.09. 2018 23:02 »
You are definately not alone Richard. Lost my best tools and oil cap in Ireland. Numerous items have disappeared over the years, managed to catch the horn last week as it made a bid for freedom. The biggest thing i miss is my sanity, lost that when i first saw my bike in the vendors garage.
 *beer* *bash* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.09. 2018 23:05 »
I discovered my toolbox lid open when I stopped somewhere. My fault for forgetting to fully tighten the nut! Luckily the toolroll was still there but my spare spark plugs, fuses and bulbs were gone.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 17.09. 2018 06:10 »
Of all the things I've lost it's my memory I miss most!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.09. 2018 09:00 »
Of all the things I've lost it's my memory I miss most!

Oh yes, can be annoying, specially when it comes back a day after you needed it  *sad2*

now back to bits falling off. I go for Nyloc nuts on most bits important, available in cycle these days
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 17.09. 2018 09:16 »
Philidas are also very good being all steel in areas where heat is a concern

ELLIS.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #10 on: 17.09. 2018 16:23 »
Heh, Berger, you guys.  Maybe the losses were down to too much thrashing about on Yorkshire roads (potholes stitched together with Playdo).

I seriously do belt things up good whilst not stripping valuable thread.  I like nyloc and have used two for the missing engine bolt on threaded, metric bar (yes, I know, my bad).  Berger did say don't use the threaded bar as the threads get hammered into the casing and it's a bugger to get them out - well, yeah????  Seriously, it's only in there temp until I get round to getting the proper stuff.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250