Author Topic: SRM  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
SRM
« on: 20.07. 2009 19:28 »
One name that appears a lot on this forum is SRM. I have never used them as I spoke to them on their stand at the Classic bike show a few years ago and the guy I spoke to did not seem to know what I was talking about, so I was not impressed. What is the general opinion?
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Richard

Re: SRM
« Reply #1 on: 20.07. 2009 19:41 »
SRM was originaly owned by Steve McFarland who is a brilliant and clever engineer (He has just devoloped an electric starter for most bikes with an alloy primary chaincasewhich is hidden from veiw) He sold the buisness some time ago.
He now works from a workshop in Cardiff doing most things to do with bikes but on a smaller scale.
I have never used SRM as I feel that there are firms about as good as them but at a more sensible price.
just my opinion and my bike is going ok without using them
Richard

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.07. 2009 19:46 »
Sorry. I have the exact opposite opinion of them. They have always been willing and available to answer any technical questions I've asked by telephone or email, regardless of their likelihood of profit. Talk to John or Gary and I sincerely believe you will be happy. Generally, John for electrical, Gary for everything else, but they both have broad knowledge.  I have never met them, but I weigh them among my friends and think of them as partners in the successful completion of my restoration project.  Now, here in the forum we do get into some extreme minutia, which outsiders might not relate to on casual explanation, but that's just us. Further, I have found their parts prices to be competitive, if not better than many.

If I lived near there, the premises would be a regular stop. As it is, I'm holding it out as a pilgramage.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20.07. 2009 20:20 »
ive had a total engine and gear box rebuild by them
and it was a very good job they did i would recommend them
to enyone first class service i live in england and ive visited
them they gave me a tour ove there unit it was very well set up
and there parts are very good quality and id say a resonable price

Richard

« Reply #4 on: 20.07. 2009 23:33 »
Richard and Rocketman
I was not knocking SRM at all and I am sure that they must be doing something right to still be in buisiness all I was saying was that there are firms just as good as them with the same expertise but a lot less expensive than them, I did not mention cost of parts just the cost of the rebuilds and machining work.
I have found parts suppliers as knowledgable and as helpful as I am sure SRM must be .
I was purley giving some early history and giving my opinion only, and for all the years I have had m/cycles (started in 1965) I have never used them or paid out anything like the money they charge for machining and rebuilding and have no real sob stories to tell, but I can say that the rebore on my S/R was done by them before I got the bike and the tolerence was to tight and it kept nipping up until the ring siezed in the piston,the same replacement  pistons were obtained and the barrels rehoned by an ex BSA dealer in Cirencester to the correct tolerence and that was all that was done and no trouble since, so even SRM can and do make mistakes
Also if you ring Kidderminster motorcycles up they will give freely any help and advise on BSA stuff as well, as will Lightning spares SRM are not alone on that score
Richard
"Now, here in the forum we do get into some extreme minutia" sorry but I am just a country boy I mdid not get the meaning of that paragraph
Richard

Online BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 21.07. 2009 11:50 »
Now lets not forget one little thing here.
We are all human, we have good hair days and bad hair days ( althought I would be happy just to have hair).
Some times we can be totally preoccupied.
Then there is the repeatative boredom factor just how many time can you tell a person that the bike is + earth or what ever other trivial trite question that has been thrown at you when if the asker actually thought about it they would have realised the answer was blindingly obvious.
Then the previous person could have just finished telling them that they were thieving robbers and overcharging for every thing so the next in line is liable to get a rather short answer.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 21.07. 2009 12:08 »
althought I would be happy just to have hair
 *smile*

Edit: must add I've had only good experience with SRM. Rebore, camfollowers, head skimming, valves + guides and seats etc, + many parts.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.07. 2009 17:24 »
Sorry well off topic with this
 but on the subject of hair or lack of it, just had mine cut today - a grade two - on the grounds that short sparse hair looks better than long sparse hair.
Bike comparison would be - I prefer the look af a classic racer to that of a Goldwing   *smil*

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Best Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 21.07. 2009 18:03 »
Any thoughts Bill about SRM and their policy re oil filters and monograde oil?
(stands bck to enjoy the reaction ;))
Mike Hutchings
A10, B50, T800; 1,2,3 (& DVR2)
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 21.07. 2009 18:34 »
I have mostly good things to say re SRM
I fitted there dynamo belt drive -
The bad - one side of the big pulley detatched itself,  replaced it and centre poped it around the join in three/four places been allright since
The good - I managed to get the idlers bushes mixed up, result was the dynamo chain compartment filled with oil over a period of time ( scroll on idler bushes working the wrong way around pushed oil out instead of sucking it in  *red* ), all the time this was happening the dynamo worked and was being driven by the belt even when the chamber was full of oil.
More good, I bought one of there belt drives of Ebay ( for my project ) it came without nuts and washer and cork washer, these are not standard, I phoned SRM and the supplied all I needed at reasonable cost.

Also have one of thier alloy clutch pressure plates on my Flash, really light clutch I can pull it in with one/two fingers, did'nt quite follow there advise regarding spring pressure so clutch drags a little, just needs slackened off a turn ( as per thier instructions ) whenI get round to it!!

All the best - Bill

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline mike667

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 21.07. 2009 22:57 »
well i guess i'll be the first one to say something bad about SRM -

their in the UK (to far to stop by for questions) -

other than that they (gary in particular) have always been helpful ....  would always use them in a second

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 08.10. 2012 18:46 »
I am a huge fan of S.R.M.
I have had my A10 since 1979 and for long periods in that time it has been my only transport. The first 15 (or so) years, the engine had three top to bottom bottom re-builds. Twenty years ago while putting the barrells back on, I broke an oil ring and a piece fell into the crankcase. As it refused to re-appear I decided splitting the crank cases was the only option. Half way through I decided to bite the financial bullet and get the conversion done and a full re-build.
 It cost about £1,500, but what a job they did! In the first 12 months I did 15,000 miles and did nothing other than oil and plug changes. It was used every day for work, went to the west coast of Ireland three times, Kent custom bike show, Storming The Castle bike show, Bulldog Bash bike show and Anglesey every weekend I wasn't away somewhere else.
 A few years ago they got the top end back for a freshen up, guides, valves and believe it or not, a hone of the barrells and some new rings, not even a re-bore!
 When they put it back together, they put alluminium pushrods in, which rubbed where the rocker cover and head meet. At the same time a misfire started to occur.When I rang them Gary was flummoxed and put me on to Geoff Dewhurst, he too was very surprised and wanted to know what was going on. Long story short, me and the bike were on the doorstep with the milk next day, and the investigation began at 9am. At 8pm (Yes 8pm!) I set off for home job done. Inbetween times we found a bad casting from the factory was to blame and only came to light with the fatter pushrods. However this did not cure the misfiring, and we spent the rest of the day curing that..........continued.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 08.10. 2012 19:22 »
The magneto had been stripped and checked by a so called expert three weeks before all this. When we had come to the conclusion that it could be nothing other than the mag, John Jolly (the electrical guru) got involved and stripped and inspected it, and replaced the slip ring and brushes. The bike now runs like a swiss clock again and the miles are piling on.
There is a footnote to this story, they fitted £150's worth of parts on the bike, Geoff worked on it with me for nearly 11 hours and John for about 4 hours. At 8.00 pm Heffin the paint master and the guy who picks up and delivers bikes for them were all still there, with me Geoff and John. Why?.............. Because they love what they do!................... As we were washing up to go home I asked if Gary would send me a bill? The answer was "There won't be one."
 Now in fairness, the bike is somewhat unusuall and rarely doesn't have at least a few people gawping at it, and they always get praised from the rooftops by yours truly at every opportunity. This has probably led to some work for them down the years, but a gesture like that has left me very touched.
For me, if you  have a British bike, S.R.M. is a no brainer. All new bits are road tested by local (to them) riders and on the track by a racer before going on the shelf and as such, if they sell it, it works right!
Briliant lads who know how to do the job right, and do just that!

England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 09.10. 2012 11:55 »
All my experiences of SRM  are positive, also having done the tour when I took down my engine I'd say that Richard ,you will be impressed ,when you do your pilgramage ,consider visiting Liverpool ,you'll made welcome . Re other comments I've also had good service from other companies mostly the ones already mentioned but when a job needs doing on my bike I think of SRM first and have also phoned for help many times and always been given useful advice in a professional manner when you bear in mind it was 9 yrs since spending any large amount with 'em that is service above and beyond what you can normally expect these days Regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 29.07. 2015 13:50 »
Gents,

I assume many here have received this announcement regarding SRM's new web site, and some haven't. If it is thorough with all available parts listed and pictured it should be a big help to us. I am looking forward to seeing it and hopeful for something special, considering their big unveiling announcement.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c0SKzeDZZSCoLvxdV-Z2mCmqUcnPwgrXQGK1pi3prMm6cP_8UYP0qlpSWNK10ascxsKXWfCFYzDAmQ6M/view?usp=docslist_api

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.