Author Topic: Order of assembly  (Read 553 times)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Order of assembly
« on: 18.09. 2018 09:51 »
I'm now at the stage with my 58 SR where I'm ready to put the engine and gearbox back in the frame. I'm assuming for lack of any better info that I sould bolt the bottom engine plates onto the engine and then put that into the frame. I'm likely it would seen to have to spring the front down tubes to get the  engine to go in without damaging the paint of the front cowl devices that go over the generator. My plan was to then introduce the gearbox and top engine plates then primary chain case and clutch etc. If there is another more appropriate order of assembly I would be very grateful to hear it.
S:)
NZ

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Order of assembly
« Reply #1 on: 18.09. 2018 11:03 »

It's a long time since I had my RR, but if I recall, I think (let's see how well I do?);

(a) it wasn't a full rebuild, just 'get it going'....and thereafter the G-box/tranny stayed in on removal, so likely the top plates were backed right off or removed and the engine hauled out- so the instal was reversal (engine in with front right plate attached- left one goes on after, then rear top plates go on)

(b) It'll maybe take a coupe of goes to figure out your preferred method    *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.09. 2018 23:21 »
I put the bottom plates loosely into the frame and drop the engine in WITHOUT the front plates.
This way you don't knock the paint about.
Fit the front plates and then the gearbox followed by the top plates.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 18.09. 2018 23:54 »
excellent, thanks all.
NZ

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21.09. 2018 01:46 »
Don’t forget to use foam pipe insulation around the tubing

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 21.09. 2018 20:21 »
Everyone has their order. I loosely mount the gearbox with it's rear plates and the  engine plates ditto.

I drop in the gearbox and again only do the studs and adjuster top bolt  up 5 threads or so, so everything is "floppy. Then the engine goes in without scratches and paint damage. I tighten the engine plates first, then the gearbox  Lastly the generator housing front plates can be inserted through the downtubes.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.09. 2018 21:40 »
You guys with separate gearboxes don't know you're born! You've only got to lift that flyweight engine into the frame! Us semi-unit guys are hard as nails cos we have to lift the whole darned thing! Where's me spinach Olive?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 21.09. 2018 21:42 »
You guys with separate gearboxes don't know you're born! You've only got to lift that flyweight engine into the frame! Us semi-unit guys are hard as nails cos we have to lift the whole darned thing! Where's me spinach Olive?
Here here
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 23.09. 2018 11:47 »
Its in now thanks for the advice. I didn't find it too difficult although there was a fair bit of shagging around getting the engine plates in the correct arrangement. :)
NZ