Author Topic: Rear brake pedal / footrest  (Read 748 times)

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
Rear brake pedal / footrest
« on: 26.12. 2016 20:28 »
Hi all,
Have a look at the two pictures below please and let me know what you think...the footrests on my A7SS were fitted with a long bolt instead of the correct stud / nuts, which I've now recently fitted. Getting the bolt out was difficult to put it mildly as it was bent so needed a fair bit of hammering. Not to worry I thought, as the new stud should slide in a treat, but unfortunately no such luck as it needed just as much hammering to get the stud in...so something is obviously wrong with the footrest set up.
As the nut on one end of the stud projects outwards a little more than the bolt head did, it now hits the rear brake pedal. It doesn't actually stop the pedal from working but I would have thought there would be some clearance at least. Is this due to the brake pedal having been bent inwards? On the face of it, it looks ok but I'd be interested to know how it compares with other bikes.

Thanks, Steve

Offline AWJD

• A's Good Friend
Re: Rear brake pedal / footrest
« Reply #1 on: 27.12. 2016 08:57 »
Your brake lever looks a little battered but your problem may be that you've fitted quite a thick nut to hold the footrest on rather than the thinner original nut (67-4856).

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 27.12. 2016 09:23 »
There are two types of splined sleeve to which the left footrest connects and two types of left hand side footrest. The footrest you have looks correct for 54-55 models but it should be connected to the correct splined sleeve which is about 1/2" longer on the 54-55 models. From your photo I can't tell which sleeve you have fitted. The sleeve on the right side footrest is also different so it is easy to get all these muddled up.

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 27.12. 2016 09:52 »
An interesting post as I am not convinced I have the correct LH footrest set up on my 1955 A10.

The footrest securing nut is a lot further in than yours Steve and a good bit thinner BUT my footrest is uncomfortably close to the clutch casing.

Brian

1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 27.12. 2016 17:34 »
Thanks chaps for the replies and pictures.
Beezermacc, my A7SS is a '55 model so yes, it looks as though my footrests are correct for that year. I can see what you're saying about the LH splined sleeve especially as I mentioned that the stud is a little too long on my bike...you'll see from the pictures below of the RHS that I've fitted a spacer until I can sort the problem out. However, if I did fit a longer splined sleeve on the LHS, the footrest is then going to hit the rear brake pedal, so that doesn't seem right either  *conf* Do you know what the correct dimensions are for each sleeve so that I can check please?

AWJD...the nut was the one that Draganfly supplied with the stud so thanks for pointing that out, changing that will help a bit.

Brian...you're right, the footrest on your bike does look too close, but hopefully, the pictures that beezermacc has posted will help.

Steve

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.12. 2016 19:23 »
Hi Steve and Brian,
Another thing that happens is the splines wear so the foot rest slides farther in
Then in a bid to secure the footrest the owner slices a bit from the end of the splined sleeve *problem*
The last SS footrest bar I bought was too long by almost 1in. *eek* I also had to thin down one nut to get the exhaust to fit *work*

Steve,
Your bikes footrests seem  to be in the correct position, maybe the brake pedal needs a tweak?
The thin nut should help, there's  not a lot of a gap there anyway, wear in the pedal and pivot will make it worse

Brian,
It looks as though the LH footrest on your bike has a twist in the curved section, this effect might have been incorrectly remedied by bending the straight section where the rubber fits ???
Hard to say without actually having it to hand *????*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 27.12. 2016 20:28 »
Is your brake pedal spindle correct? The pedal looks too close to the chain case.

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 27.12. 2016 23:27 »
Thanks John, I hadn't considered that spline wear could be the issue...definitely worth a check. Yes, having had another closer look, I think the brake pedal could do with 1/4 to 1/2 inch tweak...think that will help a lot.

Cheers,
Steve

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 27.09. 2018 12:48 »
Whilst removing/replacing the brake pedal on my 1955 A10 s/a, I noticed that there is a threaded hole for what I am guessing is a stopper bolt. I put an Allen key in the whole (yellow arrow) in the photo to show where it is. However, if there was a bolt in there, I can't see what it would rest against  *conf*

At the moment, the pedal just comes up against the footrest and that might explain the bang I get occasionally going over bumps!

I have looked on Draganfly's parts fiche but can't see anything listed for the s/a A10. Perhaps the pedal is shared with other models where the stopper is needed?  https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/962-brake-pedals-a-b-m-group

I guess it is also missing a grease nipple although there doesn't seem to be much room to fit one because of the curve of he casting which almost goes right up against the hole.

Brian

PS Looking at Steve's photos in the first post on this thread, it looks like he doesn't have these parts fitted either  *conf*

1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK