Author Topic: Removing inner timing cover  (Read 504 times)

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Removing inner timing cover
« on: 28.09. 2018 09:18 »
I've had a slight weep from the bottom of the inner timing cover for some while now, so I have decided that it is time to do something about it. Before I start I thought it prudent to ask a couple of questions. Firstly the idler pinion. Will it stay in place when the inner cover is removed? And secondly, does the cork washer need to oil or grease to be applied when it is placed into position? I shall obviously be fitting a new washer.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Removing inner timing cover
« Reply #1 on: 28.09. 2018 09:30 »
With dynamo drive removed, you need to keep some pressure on the idler to stop it coming away with the inner cover.

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #2 on: 28.09. 2018 10:06 »
It would be prudent to check the valve timing before putting it back.

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.09. 2018 10:19 »

..... Firstly the idler pinion. Will it stay in place when the inner cover is removed? ....

Probably not, but that's already taken care of.... *smile*

I actually threw the cork washer in the  *conf2* box and used the fet one behind the gear shift lever...works for me and don't have genny oil problem...

What you need to prepare for is the ~70odd ml that's in the oi pump cavity... *pull hair out*...and if you suspect you need to check the timing, is not hard to just whack the idler back in wherever (it apparrenty only aligns about every 97 revolutions or so- I think I read that somewhere on the https://www.a7a10.net/forum) and line up the crank and cam marks and pull the idler and replace to align with them- can't go wrong

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.09. 2018 13:47 »
...can't go wrong
Oh dear duTch, that's put the hex on the job!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 28.09. 2018 14:50 »
Thanks for all your help and comments. Got it all apart without any real bother except removing the rev counter drive. the bolts are a bit difficult to get at but, as luck would have it I found a socket that was thin enough to get in and undo them. While I am at it I thought that I would add a bit of bling by fitting a nice shiny stainless dynamo clamping strap. Waiting on that to arrive then it can all go back together. Once again thank you all for your help.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.09. 2018 15:18 »
important you do not move the engine with the idler off, unless you plan to reset the valve timing (lining up the dot and dash on the idler with cam and crank pinions) even then try to keep the pistons away from TDC
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco