Author Topic: Sheered nut (tube style) on rocker box  (Read 876 times)

Offline John alexandrou

• Active
Sheered nut (tube style) on rocker box
« on: 29.09. 2018 02:28 »
I’ve managed to sheer off one of the tube style nuts that hold down the rocker box, (rear end) didn’t feel like I over torqued it, but anyway the head came off leaving the tube section attached to the stud. i’ve ridden it this way for quite a while and the gasket is not leaking, is there a shoulder inside the alloy head that the remaining part of the tube nut is butted up against and therefore still holding the rocker tightly?
It looks like it may take some effort to remove the remainder of the nut without doing too much damage. Any advice would be much appreciated

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sheered nut (tube style) on rocker box
« Reply #1 on: 29.09. 2018 02:44 »
 Welcome John,

If there are any exposed threads sticking out at all, I would permanently lock tite a nut to it and  remove the stud from the case.

If that doesn't make any sense, a picture might help us.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline John alexandrou

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 29.09. 2018 03:13 »
Thanks, I’m away at the moment but will post a photo when I get home next week, unfortunately there is no exposed thread as the stud is short and does not protrude through the opening, that’s why the nut is a long threaded tube style, it’s about a 5/8” long tube with a head, it’s also hollow

Offline John alexandrou

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 29.09. 2018 04:13 »
See diagram, It’s number 60 and it’s broken off at the hex, it was actually very thin where it sheered off,

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 29.09. 2018 06:00 »
The tube style nut has a thick washer which tightens up against the cylinder head casting in the corner and is replicated  at the opposite corner but also there is a centre bolt which would secure and most proberly prevent leakage. The tube part is not clamping against anything.
It's quite common for the tube style nut stud to strip it's thread in the rocker box.
What normally happens is the tube style nut gets stuck onto the stud then acts as a bolt and as the stud has a course thread the alloy thread in the rocker box suffers.
You might be lucky if the stud is secure into the rocker box and with some small grips get the tube part off and then source a replacement tube nut.
If you have no leakage at the rocker box and you are maintaining correct tappet clearance you would be safe to continue using your bike.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 29.09. 2018 23:07 »
G'day John,  *welcome*
 The tube part is also threaded and your going to have a bugga of a job to remove it. Is there any thread sticking out past the tube? If there is you may be able to screw the other tube nut on with loctite, leave over night and gently remove the stud. Heat the corner of the rockerbox first, try not to get too much heat on the head, it will weaken the loctite.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline John alexandrou

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 30.09. 2018 02:29 »
Thanks guys, unfortunately there’s no thread sticking out that I can see anyway, the thick washer is still there and seems to be holding firmly, if I pull it off, they may be enough of the remaining tube portion hanging down to get a decent grip on and hopefully unscrew it. I have bought a replacement nut ready to install. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to go to plan B which will be far more difficult.

It’s still not leaking so I’ll keep an eye on it and may leave for another day if this is the case, I’ll reset the tapes and tighten check the centre rear bolt and put some miles on it.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 30.09. 2018 03:06 »
Thanks guys, unfortunately there’s no thread sticking out that I can see anyway, the thick washer is still there and seems to be holding firmly, if I pull it off, they may be enough of the remaining tube portion hanging down to get a decent grip on and hopefully unscrew it. I have bought a replacement nut ready to install. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to go to plan B which will be far more difficult.

It’s still not leaking so I’ll keep an eye on it and may leave for another day if this is the case, I’ll reset the tapes and tighten check the centre rear bolt and put some miles on it.

If you can make it to winter, I sure would!

This is one of those jobs that's either going to go super easy, or super bad.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #8 on: 30.09. 2018 05:59 »
There's no such thing as Winter down here!
OK if it can't be removed and ain't leaking leave it till next opportunity (rocker box has to be removed.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline John alexandrou

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 04.10. 2018 10:35 »
Thanks gents, I managed to remove the rocker box without too much hassle, I ground down an old pair of vice grips and was able to undo the stud from the space between the head and rocker, I bought a pair of tube nuts from Mike Riley in Brisbane, job done thank god!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 04.10. 2018 11:16 »
Great to hear John.
I made my own nuts (*shh*) from stainless a little bit longer. The washers often get stuck up in the head or lost.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7