Author Topic: RICHARDL is not OK.  (Read 2739 times)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: RICHARDL is not OK.
« Reply #15 on: 30.09. 2018 17:05 »
Disappointed for you Richard as I know how much you were looking forward to the run. Hope the fix is easy.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.09. 2018 17:07 »
I'm actually at the ride. Too stupid to explain right now. made it by 10 minutes, leaving in two.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #17 on: 30.09. 2018 17:22 »
Brilliant! well done! Enjoy your ride and day, hope all goe's well. Look forward to reading your report later.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 30.09. 2018 17:24 »
Too stupid to explain right now.
Come on Rich, fess-up!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #19 on: 30.09. 2018 21:13 »
Hope all went well at the DGR today.
 *computer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 30.09. 2018 22:50 »
On a completely different tack to everyone else but it couldnt be something as simple as the rear chain being slack and clanking on the chainguard. Chain snatch when pulling away or a heavy hand at the throttle can cause any slack in the gearbox / primary chain adjuster to be taken up and pulling the gearbox back slightly with the consequence of tightening the primary chain and slackening the rear chain. (see my chain adjusting memo attached and the para in the box.

1960 Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 01.10. 2018 03:38 »
Oh, boy! Telling all the messy details of yesterday's work on my bike to get ready for DGR would be an even more tedious story than the one I will tell now. I have to say, I borrowed the form of the topic title from GB, but about halfway through the work I thought I was being downright Greybeardian in my determination to get to the bottom of this and get the bike back together.

It all started because I wanted to change fork oil and adjust drive chain tension. After doing that in the early afternoon, I wanted to test the forks and top off fuel, so rode up to the gas station. That"s when I heard the annoying noise. 

A lot of this has already been said here, but the first mistake (I must now call it) was thinking the noise was coming from a dynamo bearing. Result: timing side cover off; dynamo out; disassembled; greased; tightened loose long screws (for a second, I thought the loose assembly of the dynamo was causing the armature to rub inside, but no). The upshot of all this dynamo tinkering is that it is no longer charging, as I discovered once out for the ride.  [I think the question has come up before if you can remove the dynamo with the belt-drive pulley attached. You cannot, because the pulley hits the inner timing side cover before you can wind out the dynamo. I have no puller to fit the pulley. I managed to span an Allen key behind the pulley with its ends landed on the cover, then whacked the end of the armature with a hammer (nut on, of course). In retrospect, this was probably dumb and inviting a broken primary cover, but desperation does tricks with the brain. Yes, next time the cover is off I'll inspect for damage. IDIOT!]

After all this, I figured I should check out Erling's thought that my drive chain problem was due to a bent gearbox shaft, so off with the primary-side cover. Clutch was running true with no apparent rubbing, but primary chain needed tightening. Like a dipsh*t, I forgot that the sliding plate bolts are designed to allow the sliding plate to, uhhh?, "slide" when adjusting the chain tension. So, I went through the hand contortions and acrobatics of loosening them (the bolts, not the hands) before adjusting chain tension (let's call that about 1/2-hour). Also, gave the clutch nuts 1/4-turn, for good measure.)

Now, all the covers (including the dynamo cover) back on, pedals back in place, ATF back in the primary (cool it, that's a different topic), a quick surface cleanup of the bike and pick up all-the-tools-in-the-world spread around the garage. (By the way, have you ever noticed how tools disappear in plain sight after 1:00 AM?) OK, so now it's 2:30 AM, how am I going to listen to the resulting work without the neighbors calling the police? Rode the bike back up to the gas station (it's just a little more than a mile and open 24/7). I let the bike idle as before and, sure as hell, the noise was still there. I pulled in the clutch and the noise went away. This is when I rode home and looked for help from the awake side of the world.

Stayed up until about 4:00 AM paying my overdue insurance premium and vehicle registration online, just in case I ended up going to the DGR. Went to bed figuring I wasn't going. Woke about 9:00 AM, depressed over the situation. Laid in bed watching TV and trying to figure out what was going on (on the bike, not the Ryder Cup). At 9:30 AM, 1-1/2 hours before the ride that's 45 minutes from home, a light in my head went on. Only those who have bothered reading this far get the payoff of "The Story of the Village Idiot." 

Turn back the clock six days. Atoll asks about the primary cover lug not working with the frame flange. I go out to check mine for confirmation and discover that my bolt is loose. Now, here's something I intentionally didn't say earlier in this story, because it fits my mindset of forgetting this point when undertaking the big disassembly. Before replacing the fork oil, I decided to tighten up that bolt. It was such a minor detail. The spacers as I had stacked them some time ago were still there, so what could go wrong. A lot, if the spacers aren't right. This was the thing I remembered at 9:30 this morning. "Do I have time to loosen the bolt, test the result, get dressed, yard and feed the dogs and tell the wife I'm going, all in time to be in Chicago by 11:00 AM." Well, I did make it there. and back.

Funny thing about this is this thing that was told to Atoll on 9/24:

I wonder, really not sure, if adding spacer thickness between crankcase and inner primary won't cause inner primary to interfere with the clutch basket (the inner primary may already be unusually close to the clutch basket). I guess I'm saying that a dose of diagnostics would inform the decision on the cure.

Richard L.

So, it seems the noise was the clutch basket hitting a sliding plate bolt (no connection to my loosening and tightening those pesky bolts). This said, I am keenly aware that the limit on incorrect diagnoses is not set at "1". In any case, this diagnosis was enough to let me go to the DGR and get home without trouble except, oh did I mention that I buggered the dynamo when messing around with it?.

Finally, my story of the DGR will be saved for a DGR topic.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #22 on: 01.10. 2018 04:04 »
 *bash* *lol*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #23 on: 01.10. 2018 08:19 »
All together now.... Dohhhhh!

Thanks for that write up Richard, it shows that you are one dedicated and determined BSA A10 owner!
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #24 on: 01.10. 2018 12:51 »
richard *doh* *whistle* nice one all is well except dynamo *cry*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 01.10. 2018 14:10 »
Well Richard, I think you've gained the right to hold the Greybeardian cup!  I'll get it in the post asap.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #26 on: 01.10. 2018 18:29 »
Thank you for a great post and honesty. Seems a very easy thing to do, could be one of my rattles!
 *bright idea* *bash* *countdown* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #27 on: 01.10. 2018 21:01 »
been there, done that, thanks for the honesty.  I yell at my self and the wife does at me as well for procrastinating and poor time mgmt, and end up pulling all nighters to get to an event.  Good to see I am not the only one.
Before the Cannonball finale ride,  I let other things interfere and had to scramble to get a service done on the HD Sportster, And of course, things did not go to plan, but I did get it done and did the ride.  But all that drama, very little sleep and only 2 things fell off the bike I thought I did well considering.
So FFwd to DGR.  I had a veteran friend who is going thru some tough times and challenges and she kept asking for a MC ride, So I invited her to the DGR and only 1/2 expected her to show.
She surprised me by not only showing up but raised over a $100.  She was a bit scared and hesitant but had a great time.
I have a really nice Corbin gunfighter seat on the Sporty,, but with a passenger I needed something comfy for 2.  I had to scramble to find my dual seat and a sissy bar, Again, what SHOULD have been a simple task was challenging.   But pulled it off again... She has some medical issues as well and needed help getting on and off the bike (Bad knee and ankle),, and I was amazed she didnt complain about the seat and her butt.
But we had a great day and did some tourist stuff for her, So she was really happy.  Bike worked out and our event was great.
So, my goal is next year to have one of my 1950s BSAs or Norton on the ride next year.  Some of the local vintage club attended, And I saw a number of usual suspects.  But I guess we should start working NOW for next year on our issues and not wait till the last minute.

"Why put off something tomorrow when you can put it off today?"
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 01.10. 2018 21:14 »
Richard, you need a medal for perseverance! And glad you can now rest having found the source of the noise. As I said in an earlier post,  I thought it was more of a scraping sound than a bearing / dynamo noise.
I think most of us know our way around engines and motorcycles generally. We know the sound of piston slap, a big end or mains rumbling. We know when tyre pressures aren't as they should be or steering head bearings need adjustment. As I see it, the major benefit of forums - especially this one - is to bring out options that those of us struggling with a problem may not have considered. Like when after a rebuild I had a pitiful oil return to the tank. Everything was as it should be. Oil pump was good (even tried another) and new gasket lined up perfectly. Then someone on this forum suggested enlarging the gasket holes. Why? Everything lined up, but I made a new gasket with larger holes anyway as by then I was at a loss to figure it out. Result? Substantial oil flow. I still don't know why it worked, but that contributor saved the day.
Who better to assist than someone with the same make / model of machine? That's what makes this forum great. Instead of struggling alone, one can tap into the wisdom of like-minded friends.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 01.10. 2018 22:05 »
Sluggo,

Sooo, the wife was OK with not being the woman riding pillion? *smile*

RD,

Thanks for my virtual-medal award.

I once had an oil return problem after a long rebuild process, during which the oil lines just dangled unconnected. Fortunately, I didn't run it very long before a determined search for the problem. Turned out to be a spider nest in one of the lines. I can't remember which line.

Richard L.

Edit:  A search for when I previously mentioned the spider tells me that the egg sack was in the in-flow nipple.