Author Topic: RICHARDL is not OK.  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: RICHARDL is not OK.
« Reply #30 on: 01.10. 2018 22:21 »
Well Richard,, the Mrs is pretty much done with riding and Motorcycles in general. She used to enjoy it and we have been together just under 30 years (Where did the time go?)  However she just is done with it.
Part of the problem is, I ruined a perfectly good hobby by opening a shop for 10 years and 24/7 and all the events, long hours and ups & downs of doing it professionally plus some people who were difficult wore her down.  I promised to get a real job, (With tangible things like health care, retirement and a steady paycheck)
Helped,, but my big crash and my resulting health issues because of it (Which will be life long) really sourd her on Motorcycles in general.
She wants me to stop riding altogether.

As to my friend who rode with me, There are no secrets, Christine is also a military veteran and having some serious issues in her life, So she is one of many of my friends I spend time with and there is nothing going on other than friends and support.  While it was openly discussed,, at the end, the Mrs was annoyed with the whole thing, but its not a big conspiracy.

It WAS amusing though at the ride as some people gave us funny looks as who the hell is that?

There was Axethrowing at the event which is a bit odd, but apparently its a very popular thing now. Christine wanted to learn more. (Far more complicated than you might think) but she thought it might be a good skill to learn for people who *** her off.  She was US Army active duty, and then worked Logistical Support for Army/AirForce and just retired.  She also worked for Boeing in purchasing & logistics.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 01.10. 2018 23:01 »
My wife is interested only enough to listen to my stories of frustration or pleasure in my bikes and bike social activities (like DGR or writing on the forum, which she doe not read). I didn't seriously mean to imply anything untoward between you and your Army friend.  That's the danger of being a joker.

Regarding axe throwing, I think I would be better at axe catching.

Richard L

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 01.10. 2018 23:36 »
between vintage cars and especially motorcycles we have become friends and in contact with a wide range of international characters so wouldnt change much, although in hindsight a lot of things could use some fine tuning. 

My wife works in a machine shop & manufacturing and probably knows more about old cars and motorcycles than most of the employees so they are often shocked when talking with her..  One day some guys were spouting off some drivel about Harleys and she corrected them and then explained the difference between flatheads, Knucks,pans,shovels and evos.  Some find that challenging to their self identity.

I tell this story often but on another list, we had a New Zealander/Kiwi who threatened to come visit all the US members.  Simon describes himself as a ex rugby hooligan and dodgy on the best of days. Our friend Ron who refers to his wife as "Mrs Ron" said his wife said "Those people are not real, they are just imaginary internet friends!"  well one day Simon did come and toured the US.  I have enjoyed meeting many other imaginary internet friends as well, Such as John/Chaterlea25 recently, BritTwit and others.

When it was "Take your German to work day" and Wusel came and toured my wifes shop people asked
"How the hell do you know all these people?"  My wife said... "Vintage motorcycles!"

When Simon was here,, he was shocked to learn while I live out in the hills/countryside we have a bar/restaurant next door to our little farm.  I explained that while I might once in a while stoll over for a beer I dont spend much time there. I would rather be in my workshop.  I see the same people day in & out who show up after work and spend ALL their free time there. (What a waste!)

So, show that to the wife and tell her,, where would she prefer you spend all your time?  At a bar? Stripper club? Or out in the garage or workshop? 
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #33 on: 02.10. 2018 10:08 »
You would not believe hao many frustrated wives call me and ask about buying a rolling basket case missing just enough parts that hubby will never be able to get it to a running state.
None of them want him to ride, just to get out from under their feet in the kitchen & not spend all day in a bar.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #34 on: 02.10. 2018 11:01 »
Having been 'at home' all day for half the 34 years I've been married this time round, Boy, this resonates!
I am lucky because although the boss doesn't do bikes much these days she has her own serious hobbies.
She liked bikes well enough when we lived in London 30 years back as we could get anywhere, park anywhere  . . . but it was the broken ribs on the IoM in the wet one year that put her off, looking back, and they were my fault unfortunately . . . Ouch!

I reckon it's pretty important to have balancing obsessions - if you can't both have the same one that is.
I'm either in the shed or I'm out on a bike, pretty much 7 days a week most of the year. She's happy with that as long as I don't break down or fall off and expect rescuing, and she's into her stuff to about the same extent. So no pressure, just tolerance of mutual weirdness really.
Years back, we'd have been in a bar, guaranteed. Like 'em well, very well - but not a good plan if you've got time on your hands maybe. And worse still if you haven't got the time but spend both it and all the money there anyway! It Has Been Known  . . .
Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: RICHARDL is pretty OK now
« Reply #35 on: 03.10. 2018 00:33 »
Well. it seems I might have been in a bit of a hurry when putting my bike back together at 2:00 AM Sunday morning. The strap nut is nice and tight. The belt? Not so much.

This is actually very good news. No destroyed belt as far as I could tell with the quick look I just had, and electrics should be OK

Richard

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 03.10. 2018 01:06 »
Nooe. The belt is damaged, but I have a spare around here somewhere. Bought from a supply house. Not SRM. Cheaper and just as good.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 03.10. 2018 08:08 »

Richard,  that's how my SRM Synchroflex one looked when it spat the dummy....swapped it out for a 'Optibelt' brand one (Made in Ireland).
  I think the original was too tight, as it shredded itself
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #38 on: 03.10. 2018 09:18 »
G'day Richard.
I've had both yours and duTch's scenarios. Too loose and the teeth get eaten, too tight and the belt shreds. Found the optimum tension is if the belt can almost touch the screw boss with light finger pressure.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 03.10. 2018 11:50 »
Now, if someone could just tell me what the heck happened to the spare belt, I would appeciate it. Worse, I can't remember where I bought it. Record keeping? Phht!

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 03.10. 2018 12:01 »

Now, if someone could just tell me what the heck happened to the spare belt, I would appeciate it...........!

No probs, it'll be the last place you look, right where you left it..in the most obvious and logical of places...but you need to look between 00:59 & 01:00 am. (in your own words things disappear after 01:00), but what you didn't consider is that they only appear after 00:59 *smile* (small window)...

And yes my current tension method is as Musko says;
Found the optimum tension is if the belt can almost touch the screw boss with light finger pressure.

good luck
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #41 on: 03.10. 2018 20:03 »
I have been told multiple times that these types of belts run looser when hot, Not tighter,, So thats why it seems counter productive to have them so tight when cold.  I have yet to try one on a BSA, but have run a bunch of Belt drive primaries and rear belt final drives on later Sportsters (1994 and up IIRC) and Buells.

I do rather enjoy the belts on primaries and final drives in those other locations and some real nice benefits to them.  As to loosing stuff,, I feel your pain.  I used to forget peoples names and lose my car keys all the time, but every since I went bouncing on my head thanks to a speeding drunk driver I have a legit excuse.  When my wife says "What the hell is wrong with you?"  I can say "Many things! I have documentation!"
So my advice is label the heck out of everything. It seems silly at the time, but its starting to pay off

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #42 on: 04.10. 2018 20:48 »
Flippin belts, more trouble than they're worth - I'm going to stick a chain on mine. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #43 on: 04.10. 2018 21:15 »
Flippin belts, more trouble than they're worth - I'm going to stick a chain on mine. *smile*

THAT Topic has been well covered!   *whistle* *pull hair out* ::hh::

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 04.10. 2018 21:26 »
broke two chains, never broke a belt
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco