Author Topic: Stainless or Chrome exhaust  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Stainless or Chrome exhaust
« Reply #15 on: 03.10. 2018 07:23 »
Yes, I have an all stainless system on my Veefer and they do tend to yellow/brown - even the silencers. I too will never buy from Armours again. Ever.
I had a look at the Armours site. They say that the yellowing can easily be polished off.

Sorry. My two original comments here are totally unrelated. In as much as I'm not bothered that the Veefer pipes are a bit brown - cosmetically that's the least of its problems. My dealings with Armours were with regard an A10 system that did no fit at all and their shoddy approach to dealing with me when I queried that.

I don't do polishing, whether easy or not. At best my bikes get washed off with soapy water and then chammyed (?) dry. After which Any bright work gets a wipe over with an oily (WD40/ACF50) rag. 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #16 on: 03.10. 2018 09:45 »
G'day cyclobutch.
So you mollycoddle them *ex*
Truck wash and Gernie for mine.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #17 on: 03.10. 2018 10:15 »
Stop saying wash out loud. If mine gets to hear that it can only cause trouble. The oil and dirt on mine is acting as an excellent preservative, i hope.
Musky, what on earth is Gernie?
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #18 on: 03.10. 2018 10:22 »
Stop saying wash out loud. If mine gets to hear that it can only cause trouble. The oil and dirt on mine is acting as an excellent preservative, i hope.
Musky, what on earth is Gernie?
a  person who pulls really strange faces *whistle* *bash*  *lol*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 03.10. 2018 10:25 »

.... and then chammyed (?)....

I guess the tool you're using is a chamois (sounds French, but like 'entrepreneur, they don't have their own word for it so we made one up *smile*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamois), so ' chamois'd '  might work  *dunno*

....Musky, what on earth is Gernie?...

In the advanced world (Oz), a 'Gernie' is a brand of high pressure water blaster...or for bergs' benefit, aaaah waht can I say... *dunno* *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #20 on: 03.10. 2018 10:34 »
Once a month SWMBO puts it on me  *eek*
https://tinyurl.com/y7qkp9t7
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 04.10. 2018 00:16 »
I’ve never heard of Overlander! That’s why I appreciate this forum and learn something new everytime I visit it!

Looked at their website and the only exhaust pipe I see is a 2:1 presuming it’s the Siamese style pipe.

I’m looking for the regulate late A10 pipes and want to go the stainless steel route.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 04.10. 2018 00:55 »
My Armours Stainless siamese zorst is as good today as when I bought it 40 years ago. (for 39 pommie quids... eat yer hearts out youngsters!)
It fitted pretty well if not perfectly, (and I probably could have worked on it a bit to perfect it, but it wasn't 'out' enough to warrant the work).
I bet I'd have gone through a few rusting chromed systems in that time. Any marring is dead easily polished out to look like new.
Also, if any modification is required it's easily cut / shut / weld without needing to re-plate.
No contest.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #23 on: 04.10. 2018 06:59 »
Pressure wash - aargh! A good way of forcing water and possibly detergent into all these screw threads, cables and bearings. A tin of paraffin and a brush, followed by a wipe with a rag. Annually or thereabouts.
Another vote for Armours stainless systems. Despite all the horror stories I still buy from Armours and their exhausts and silencers (baffles optional extra) last and last. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #24 on: 04.10. 2018 14:16 »
I’ve never heard of Overlander! That’s why I appreciate this forum and learn something new everytime I visit it!

Looked at their website and the only exhaust pipe I see is a 2:1 presuming it’s the Siamese style pipe.

I’m looking for the regulate late A10 pipes and want to go the stainless steel route.

Barry will make any pipe you want,
He has the patterns for just bout every BSA pipe ever made.
He does not list them because they are not a stock item they are bent to order.
He has a 3 axis bending mandrel so all of his pipes are one piece of tube , not 6 pieces of standard flat bends welded together.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 09.10. 2018 06:38 »
If you need mufflers we have these NOS https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/product/71-1767/
or some very nice Goldstar ones https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/product/42-2896/