Author Topic: twin port early a7 head  (Read 574 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
Re: twin port early a7 head
« Reply #1 on: 04.10. 2018 01:41 »
Is this wanted or for sale? We have some if you need?

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 04.10. 2018 22:07 »
http://www.britcycle.com/Products/998/998_67_0024.htm

it may be a twin port but I believe those used a 2>1 alloy bolt on manifold.  I believe i have some too... in the middle of sorting parts and was recently sorting intakes and think I have some, If so will be listing them as I have no need for them.  I also have some A7 top end stuff  including a head like that,

I saw that advertised in my dealer flyer from them (BCS) and was a bit shocked at the price. Good for them if thats the going rate, but in past experience that stuff is low demand.  Id be happy to sell my head for much less.

Although,, I WAS hoping to find some knackered cases and other bits to make a nice static display engine for our museum.  Surely the priority is to get a machine on the road, But a lovely display admired by many has value.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 05.10. 2018 10:27 »
G'day Sluggo.
I couldn't see a price on it. What is the price?
I had a couple that I sent up to Terry in Townsville.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 05.10. 2018 20:22 »
Musky,, I listed many years ago some cast iron BSA heads and carted a few around to swap meets that came to me in large parts pile purchases.   When selling them the response was rather *Ahem*  *whistle* Underwhelming.    I have not tracked the market recently on them but would be surprised its anywhere near what BCS is listing theirs at.   I do have some cast iron preunit Triumph heads and there is a lot of variables on those, (500 & 650, external drain, internal drain, spigotted, non spiggoted, number of fins etc) and there is a nice guide to ID them on the Lowbrow site in technical.  However early Triumphs have gotten a lot of interest and prices are going up...

Theres just not as much interest in the cast iron early BSAs (Sadly),, So i believe the market for parts for them is still tepid. IMHO.....

But BCS & CBS send out notices a lot about new inventory and sales & such, and both often include a little bit of used parts.   I still have dealer acct with BCS, and just subscribe to CBS to see hat they are up to.
(They have a clever young lad doing interesting work, So worth watching)

So ASSUMING its the same head, (they mave serveral)  Here is what was the ad copy (There is a picture too)
of the head.

" 998-67-0024 - COMES WITH VALVES; CASTING #67-25; CAST IRON. This is a really good condition complete head for the rare long stroke A7 models at a super price. We have lots of parts for these early A7s, including genuine NOS BSA head gaskets.

One fin damaged, see photos.

Dealer Price $300.00 USD"

--------------------------------------------------------------
So, *Ahem*  a little steep me thinks, but perhaps thats fair??  But they are a big & successful company, And their staff have been good to me, Mark the Owner is a good guy based on my dealings with him, and perhaps they have acquired a trove of treasured used parts so worth a shot asking if theres anything one needs?

Their hard copy catalog is a nice bit, and my copies have a treasure trove of parts interchange including a really handy listing of pistons, specs and part numbers, Same with valves, cables and other specs.  So, not sure their current printing, but a worthwhile reference.

(The old Dommi racer/Accessory mart old catalogs were ALSO packed with great tech materials.  I was a dealer for the commercial side -Dommi, And the retail side was Accy mart.  I also bought some of their wall charts as well.  The Triumph gear box chart is a treasure and IDs all the tooth forms and shaved, non shaved, stepped, non stepped, ratios and every part number.  Their sales flyers had a poster on one side, and stupendous deals on the other.   I am sorry they are gone,  a great resource, But their old catalogs sit right on the shelf above my computer and I use them often.  Every cross reference you can imagine.)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.