Author Topic: Hello Eveybody.  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: Hello Eveybody.
« Reply #15 on: 09.10. 2018 02:55 »
Welcome Swarfcut,
I did like your novel solution to crankcase breathing problems.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 09.10. 2018 05:28 »
Welcome to the forum from Florida USA!

All those horror stories are part of the story when both bikes are complete and running.

I was born and raised in London, lived in Wrexham Wales, Telford Shropshire among other places in UK before moving out to USA.

My father had a 62 Super Rocket, hasn’t been on the road since 78, striped it down with the intention of a full restoration and then my brother and I was born and couldn’t start the project.

He gave me the Super Rocket, was still considered a basket case and only started off with frame, swing arm, engine (top end missing), gearbox and forks.

Have since found original petrol tank, original seat, original front and rear mudguards, oil tank, toolbox, centre stand, propstand, fork shrouds, speedo, tacho, NOS headlight, hubs, brake plates etc and is almost complete.

Always keeping my father informed of progress with the parts I find and hearing the knowledge and enthusiasm I have with the bike and now got himself a 57 Golden Flash. That is currently going through a full restoration and I’m sure will be finished before mine.

Just got to stay positive, never give up and with the support of family and friends anything is possible.
 bl**dydrivers, lived in London most of my life before leaving for NZ, you seem like the kind of guy who would `meet the challenge` so well done, i love your post, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 09.10. 2018 05:58 »
Welcome Swarfcut, Love the great intro!!

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 09.10. 2018 08:13 »
 A big thanks to all of you giving me such a great welcome. Yes, Berger has me banged to rights. Yup, you and Bigjim  make me smile to see your emojis in action.  I agonised over a username. When I first had my Flash all those years ago, it would mark its territory. My mates called it a BSA Dripper, so dripper seemed a good handle. But then where do I drip from, now the bike doesnt?  Most orifices on a cold day. So gave that a miss. I looked at a pile of swarf and the scar on my hand....there we are. We've all done it. like standing too close to the edge. Is it hot enough? Is that swarf sharp?  Too right it is, like a razor blade. Rest assured its  top quality maiming material, no need to check.
   I was born in Birmingham so in a way returned to my roots in the 1970's. The old BSA Factory was stiil standing last time I went by some 10 years ago.  Sad and neglected and being used by a storage outfit. The sort that rents out space to those with more stuff than sheds. The Small Heath Highway  runs close by. Sad to think a once great  UK enterprise is now dismissed  and forgotten by those flying by in their imported cars.                                                                                                                                                                               
    That's enough nostalgia. Sun is shining  in Suffolk and today is a planned walk at Dunwich, on the beautiful eroding coast where they are planning another Nuclear Power Station.    You folks have a good day, I will raise a glass to Berger when we call into the Ship Inn..he may have some competition.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 09.10. 2018 09:33 »
Well I'm Braintree so not a million miles away. Been registered here a few years but never really left the shadows (there has to be a Cliff joke in there somewhere surely?).
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #20 on: 09.10. 2018 09:54 »
Did 18 months' worth of dispatch riding in B'ham working out of the Jewellery Quarter (Caroline St) in the late 80s so know Small Heath Highway pretty well.  Didn't have the A10 then but did most of the work on a Yam XS750 (x3), occasionally my restored 1959 R60 (when the Yams broke down), an emergency RD250 and 350B were on hand just in case.  I even tried an MZ250 (ugliest bike in the world), but seized that up down the M5 near Bromsgrove.

Nice to meet you Swarfy.  Incidently, some wise old wag on this forum has dubbed me worstluck because I keep breaking/losing things off the bike!

Just between you and me, these guys are nutters............. but lovable non the less *good3* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 09.10. 2018 10:00 »
 Hiya Swarfy- I've also done the berger syndrome...lucky only a few miles home....

Been registered here a few years but never really left the shadows (there has to be a Cliff joke in there somewhere surely?).

cb- I think you just covered it *eek*

*  wortlie jumped in, so cop this- *conf2*
....the world), but seized that up down the M5 near Bromsgrove.
.. .so did it seize up or down  *????* *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #22 on: 09.10. 2018 10:11 »
Welcome from the frozen (well, just sopping wet just now) North. Back in my student days, I was on my Norton following a mate down the A74 (no motorway in those days) at steadily increasing speeds. He was riding a plunger Flash on sidecar gearing. After a number of miles at an indicated 85, he disappeared in a cloud of oil smoke and than the shrapnel started flying at me. All that was left was the cylinder head and gearbox. Never even found the crank.
Up and running again in 2 weeks. Bits were easy to come by in these days. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 09.10. 2018 10:34 »
...that decent fellow Greybeard, whose twisting and turning troubles seemed never ending for a time.
To be honest, I'm not sure that saga is over yet :(

Wow, what a great intro Swarfy, (DuTch seems to have given you a familiar handle)!

I still have a scar on the palm of my hand from when in my first job after school I was employed at a small engineering shop, (£5 per week). I was told to move a wheelbarrow full of swarf out to the yard. I hefted the handles before I realised how heavy the load was. One side of the barrow slipped out of my hand and I toppled over on top of the pile of razor-sharp swarf, using my hand to save myself! Lots of 'claret'!

I also didn't know about Sludge traps back in the old days. Just got away with it.

Looks like you will not be short of friends in your area, to go out and play with.

Let us have some pictures, please!

Skip the next paragraph if you are fed up of reading about me and my bike:
My '55 Plunger BSA, my only motorbike, came to me in 1972, as a part exchange for a rigid Aerial Square Four, 4G, that I was selling for £120. I restored my machine after I retired in 2010. I had not ridden any motorcycles for over 30 years so was quite nervous about doing it again, but it all comes back to you. I was very lucky to have this machine to restore as it was complete and very original; after all, it had only had 20 years of use, not having been used since 1975 when my wife and I moved to Suffolk, albeit being rather rusty and very dirty, (bike, not wife) after being stored under various workbenches for so many years.
I had a decent pension lump sum after retiring so I was able to spoil the old girl, (bike, not wife) with things like a replated petrol tank, professional 2 pack paint, new stainless rims and spokes etc., etc. I ended up spending nearly £4k. I love my A10, I'm not a thrasher as I need this bike to keep going as long as possible without costing me an arm and a leg.
I'm 68 and hope to be biking for at least another 10 years.

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #24 on: 09.10. 2018 10:51 »
Hiya Swarfy- I've also done the berger syndrome...lucky only a few miles home....

Been registered here a few years but never really left the shadows (there has to be a Cliff joke in there somewhere surely?).

cb- I think you just covered it *eek*

*  wortlie jumped in, so cop this- *conf2*
....the world), but seized that up down the M5 near Bromsgrove.
.. .so did it seize up or down  *????* *smile*

Dunno duTch, wouldn't move either way *lol* *grins* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #25 on: 09.10. 2018 11:22 »
G'day Swarfy,  *welcome*
Yep, I'm an old machinist. No fingerprints and scars all over and not much feeling (fingers or brain).
Your in good hands here (as long as their not mine LOL).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 09.10. 2018 18:19 »
Greetings once more to those who have welcomed me today, the guys who have been my catalyst for joining the forum. I reckon you all know a little bit more about each other since I joined.  So thanks to duTch I am lucky to have an everyday name and one for more formal occasions. Nice to have a word from Greybeard, looks like you moved North as I moved South. Drank from a Black Sheep Brewery glass today after my walk at Dunwich... thought of Black Sheep....I reckon it was the 49 Tooth Dinner Plate Rear Sprocket that did for us both...mine was originally a sidecar bike, 42 Teeth Sprockets in those days were Unicorn Parts----Everyone has heard of them, no one ever saw one. Managed to get one in the 1980's....flew like a magic carpet.

Muskys Save the Planet cracks me up....Nice One. Regards to all Swarfy.  Off now to post thoughts on Conrod Oil Holes.