Author Topic: Ebay speedos  (Read 1547 times)

Offline PDMiller

• A's Good Friend
Ebay speedos
« on: 15.10. 2018 21:26 »
Hi All
I'm just embarking on an A10 rebuild project. I acquired the bike in bits and one of the bits that's missing is the speedo. Looking on ebay there are Smiths copies for what seems like an unbelievably low price. Indian or Chinese no doubt but I wonder if anyone has used them and are they any good? Also for a 1962 A10 does anyone know what range and ratio it should be?
Thanks
Pete

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Ebay speedos
« Reply #1 on: 16.10. 2018 10:13 »
They look the part from a distance (the green ring above the face gives it away) and as long as you get the correct drive (ie not the Indian Enfield type) they're guaranteed to last until the weekend.
Be aware that the speedo drive is central (they're magnetic as opposed to Chrono) and this and this can mess up some locations, especially when set in the tank. The case is also deeper though they can be fitted into the later A10s with the headlamp nacelle.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 16.10. 2018 16:47 »
Sorry to disagree with Rex but having bought one for £20 , it was the RE type , but Venhill Engs 01306 88511 used a standard BSA speedo cable and just changed the speedo head to an RE type .It fits perfectly yes the green ring is wrong but what the hell. The best part is it is fairly accurate ,not jerky and keeps Mr Plod happy ,I'll not hesitate to order another should this break . re fitting I simply made a bracket and held it in place with a cut down Nut on the speedo cable thread.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.10. 2018 21:08 »
I don't doubt there's ways around it but if someone orders the speedo with the 12mm (?)  cable thread then it's a direct replacement and uses the existing cable.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 16.10. 2018 21:12 »
Hi AllI'm just embarking on an A10 rebuild project. I acquired the bike in bits and one of the bits that's missing is the speedo. Looking on ebay there are Smiths copies for what seems like an unbelievably low price. Indian or Chinese no doubt but I wonder if anyone has used them and are they any good? Also for a 1962 A10 does anyone know what range and ratio it should be?Thanks Pete

Hi Pete, If I may my 2 lira, pfennig, rubles, or yen is go to the tech section and download a factory manual and the parts book for your machine, there is also several smiths application catalogs and lists out there, And easy enough to cross reference what you need by description and part numbers.

START your search immediately for the parts you need as it always seems that some part is hard to source and not always the ones you expect to be in short supply.

Again, I have no idea of your expectations for the bike, But whether you intend to restore it to factory original or go with some custom pursuit In MY Opinion, its advisable to collect, sort and label the original or correct parts.   

As to instruments and replica parts in general there is considerable  variations in specs, quality & price so in my experience I set aside original chronometrics for show bikes and museum displays.   If you dont know already the originals are likely to be chronometrics (Like a Rolex, or Swiss watch-full of gears and springs) but the later versions were magnetic, Virtually all reproductions are magnetic except the new digital instruments (And Smiths IS making those and might be an option for you, quite expensive but some really like them).

I used to have a shop and sold a lot of parts and bikes, and I have used a variety of reproductions and I only had one failure and its likely it was the owner of the bike who contributed to its demise.  I posted some pix before here on the forum of some of these replicas, For the price and quality, Myself and all the people I sold them too were all very satisfied and many are still in use some with 2 decades of time on the clock.
Dommiracer in Ohio offered many of these and I still have one set left set aside for a project.

I have a friend who used to manufacture replica Smiths instruments in India, and his were excellent and a fair price. However the problem in India is as soon as you are successful, people will move in and compete. It got so bad he stopped production as the market became flooded and not all of them were built as well or customer service.  Its a common problem.

Based on the offerings I have seen online, many of the repops are dimensionally different and suitable for a modified bike, Some one else on here built cups for theirs and did a really nice job so they are not noticeable being reproductions, So, for a rider or custom for the price they are excellent value in general
(*Keeping in mind there is so many variations I dont have experience with them all)

But not a bad plan to find the original types as well, whether you use them or not depends on what your goals are.

You WILL find that getting them rebuilt is very expensive and very few skilled craftsmen handling Chrono's and even NOS ones need a service because their grease has long ago solidified. The chronos are all mechanical so they are simply not as reliable or long lasting, Although they ARE beautiful and simply jeweled pieces of art.   * same with the tachometer IF your machines is fitted with one. The tach drives are VERRRRRRY Expensive!  The modern digital ones have an advantage in this area
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 17.10. 2018 07:43 »
PDM Yes, the cheap Indian parts are great if all you want to do is ride your motorcycle. *eek* *eek*
But if you want to 'Show' the same machine, you will need to source original parts $$$ and then have them professionally restored $$$

Sluggo, My Super Rocket had the tacho drive on it when I bought it, but it was missing a gear. I couldn't find one anywhere, luckily TT (Tim Thearle) enterprises in NSW had one and was happy to 'clean out my wallet' in exchange for this gear made from second hand unobtanium!
59 Super Rocket 

Offline PDMiller

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.10. 2018 08:58 »
Thanks for all the info Guys.
Much more enlightened now I think I'll give the cheapos' a go. I've always tried to keep my bikes as original as possible but this one is never going to be a genuine RGS so I don't see any harm in a couple of non original parts.
I'm already looking for something to make casings out of and have started looking at tins of peaches in a completely new light.
Oh well the man cave beckons. *smiley4*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.10. 2018 10:04 »
have started looking at tins of peaches in a completely new light.
Did you see Muskys version; stainless coffee mugs?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 17.10. 2018 12:04 »
Hi Pete , i forgot to add that mines been fitted  for 3 yrs, so I've had my moneys worth plus the money saved on a cosmetic article could pay for something far more important ie getting the crank sorted or towards a poss end feed conversion etc, bvest of luck
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline RayC10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 17.10. 2018 17:49 »
Try Haywoods rather than ebay? Pay a bit more but they are great to deal with.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 18.10. 2018 22:36 »
For a review of the New digital Smiths units,
See : https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonCommando/1-for-the-new-smiths-electronic-gauges.26181/

Ken Carnaga is the OP and one of the few people on In-AccessableNotrun who has a clue and worth listening too. Super nice guy and brilliant mind (His background is Aerospace engineering, did I mention he is brilliant?)

Ive met the US distributor for these, Tom Kullen, and I inspected many of the units he has on offer as they have replica chrono's, as well as the later SSM types.  The prices are staggering, but from my view, they seem like top quality products.  I  have talked to him at events (NotRun INOA Rallies) and he is knowledgeable and very profeshional, I talked to a few people who have purchased and used them and they all seem very satisfied with them. 

So, for certain bikes, such as a rider Goldstar, I am considering using them as they just LOOK right and I am never going to ride any of my Goldies cross country and mostly show & go, So to have the look of a vintage Chrono, but function of a modern instrument, and ASSUMING  *countdown* *dunno* You can afford such shiny baubles, these modern instruments are worth looking at.

On other bikes,,, Meh!  *whistle*  The asian made repops are more suitable, I have a stash of original instruments and matching them up to each project that are more STOCK & Restoration types, But the costs for rebuilding them is substantial, and truth be told......The results and long term issues have been problematic.  I have used a variety of vendors for rebuilding and too long of a story for that one, But I have yet to be satisfied with any of the vendors doing rebuilding.  The cost of a show quality restoration for a set of Chronos will make the new Smiths reproductions look affordable.

I DID purchase a book earlier this year, I left it at our cabin so I am sorry I cant report the Author or publisher, But its a well written book on how to rebuild, restore and calibrate the magnetic type instruments.
I would rate the book very highly and recommend it.  After reading it, I think in the future I will do my own instrument rebuilding for the magnetic models.

If for some reason you want to hear me trash talk all the vendors who do instrument rebuilds in the US PM me off list, I think I have used most if not all.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 25.05. 2021 20:48 »
My SR project did not come with any original gauges, just a generic aftermarket speedo now gathering dust somewhere in the garage.  My restoration budget will not cover original Smiths gauges, but the Indian replicas are so inexpensive I thought I'd give them a try.  Knowing that the standard "T" shaped mounting brackets will not clear the central cable points on the Indian gauges, I also rolled the dice on a set of "C" shaped brackets from Draganfly specially made for foreign gauges.  The new gauges arrived today, but disappointingly they don't match up with the brackets.  The mounting screws on the Indian gauges are at 3 and 9 o'clock, but the corresponding holes on the Draganfly brackets are at 6 and 12 o'clock.

Before I start thinking about custom brackets, is there anyone out there who makes an out-of-the-box bracket that would work with these gauges?  I suppose the figure eight-shaped Triumph brackets might work, but that would be my last resort, as it's a very different look from the original BSA design.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 25.05. 2021 21:23 »
Cpc Eng in Redruth Cornwall make brackets that fit the Indian copies and are a direct fit onto the Bsa yokes.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 25.05. 2021 21:39 »
Thank you Bsareg!  I found the CPC brackets online.  They are a brilliant design, and at a reasonable cost.

This almost makes up for the some of the recent setbacks on my project, such as discovering that the original oil pump is completely seized...
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 29.05. 2021 09:28 »
Mod edit: topic split due to "off topic content"
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7