Author Topic: A10 Not starting  (Read 1194 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 Not starting
« Reply #15 on: 23.10. 2018 20:06 »
I've been happy with my pre monobloc carb. The bike currently has an annoying habit of occasionally dying when coming to a stop but I expect to be able to sort that problem.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 31.10. 2018 02:31 »

Hey Owain- how'd you get on with this...?

By chance mine did what sounds like same thing, was running sweet until one day a couple of months ago, the guys I was working with asked how it's going so I told 'em "sweet"....on the way home, it started idling unusual, so fueled up, (but didn't need it)....but was still fine except for occasional miss at idle....until it died completely a couple of weeks ago
 Long story short, the maggie seemed to check ok, and still occasionally start up, but not for long, so I took the maggie out to the guy who rebuilt it a year or so ago,for a check over....
   To me it kinda showed symptoms of dodgy slip-ring spike, but he just called me and said the new slip-ring he used has a hole blown in it, but not at the spike, so he replaced it and I'll collect it tomorrow and see what happens...I'll keep you posted
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 03.11. 2018 17:35 »

How you getting on with it Owain?

I'm keeping you posted as I said I will, given that your symptoms were similar to mine;

I collected my maggie the next day, and the hole that blew out is not out the side like I expected, but through to the shaft, so I guess at low revs was ok, but more than that was just arcing to the armature shaft.
 The only way to see it was strip the bearing off as forensic research procedure, and it was a very small hole too.

I haven't re-fitted it properly yet- doing another little mod. for later, and somehow I didn't end up with the slip-ring to take a picture though....

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 08.11. 2018 10:18 »
Thanks Dutch, I'll change the carb over and give it a go. Then will check the magneto. I wasn't massively impressed by the job that was done on the mag (I think I was getting a stronger spark before I sent it off for rennovation!) and your problems do sound very similar to the issues that I am having!
West Sweden & North Wales
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33