Author Topic: Sludge traps and pistons  (Read 3873 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sludge traps and pistons
« Reply #15 on: 21.10. 2018 23:16 »

.......and  the crank looks a little different. Is that a protective sleeve over the timing side main bearing journal?.....

I saw that earlier but figured it must be a sleeve as there's not much of a radius at the web....I think the 'step' in the spline is wear from  a loose nut- the sleeve splines don't go all the way to the end of the crank splines- least they don't on mine *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline PDMiller

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 22.10. 2018 08:15 »
Thanks for the info Guys.
I'm not sure what that sleeve is and will need to investigate it. The journals are minus .040" and look as though they have been re-ground before the engine was built up complete with sludge. The dia is pretty much spot on and with new shells I can't feel any play.
Yes there is some wear on the splines probably caused by a loose cush drive. The worn bit has been built up with some sort of compound and to be fair the splined hub is a good fit on the shaft, time will tell if the mystery compound is any good.  I'm looking out for a better crankshaft but nothing available at the minute. The rods are indeed 67-1170s  but ....wait for it.....they both have a hole in *????*
This is becoming a bit of a saga but hopefully we'll get there......eventually.
Cheers
Pete

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 22.10. 2018 08:45 »

.......The rods are indeed 67-1170s  but ....wait for it.....they both have a hole in *????*.........

That'll start a whole new debate over whether it matters- my cockle shells' worth (no pun intended- but handy *smile*) is if you have a bearing shell with no hole you can use it to block the hole, otherwise can be plugged with something magic.... *eek*...fairly obvious really *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 22.10. 2018 10:04 »
  Pete. If the crank has been reclaimed at some stage by fitting a sleeve and grinding to size, I would expect the sleeve to extend the full width of the timing bush (yours looks shorter)  and have a groove and oilway to supply the big ends. This looks to be absent. Just wondering if this is a temporary codge  by the vendor give the impression the engine was OK internally when you went to collect it, and  it was never intended to run.

As far as I know, 40 thou U/S shells are the smallest regrind size. So unless you are absolutely sure it is basically a sound crank, another crank is your best option.

Sod's Law says now you want one, there are non to be had. So, pretend you can't be bothered. One will appear.  Instead do something simple, such as  wheel bearings or brakes. 

I would save checking the gearbox until you have achieved a little success.....It will probably be just as bad as the motor, and there is a limit to how much more stress and anguish you need.

Keep posting your progress, best of luck,  spanner on.

Swarfy

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 22.10. 2018 10:11 »
G'day fellas.
That sleeve is the inner part of the timing side roller conversion inner race. There is a similar but much shorter piece that go's on to form the groove for the balls.
Red arrow is that piece, yellow arrow is it's mate, green arrow is what should be in the case (where the bush used to live).
Cheers
http://bsa-a10.hailwood.com/mybsaa10rollerconversion.html   this is the conversion I have in the Cafe.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 22.10. 2018 10:19 »
 Musky....All change for Pete, maybe?  He may be luckier than we thought....assuming he has all the bits and the conversion has been completed.  Next  episode may reveal all.   Swarfy.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 22.10. 2018 11:28 »
G'day fellas.
That sleeve is the inner part of the timing side roller conversion inner race.

So, it's an interfernce fit?

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #22 on: 22.10. 2018 12:10 »
G'day Richard.
Mine is a very sung fit say size for size, just needs warmth from hand to be a nice slide fit. The interference fit is the outer in the case.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 22.10. 2018 12:24 »
Hmmm. I'm just askin' for my curiosity and because I'm ignorant, is the slide fit enough to keep the sleeve from spinning on the crank, or is spinning normal (and lubricated)?

Richard L.

No, Muskrat, I am not trying to make you crazy.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 22.10. 2018 15:45 »
Hi Richard and All,
The inner race and it's matching ball bearing half cone are held in place by a spacer and then the timing pinion/ worm nut and locknut
BUT, if this has an endfeed conversion I cannot see the quill that should stick out on the crank end (on my mobile fone)
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline PDMiller

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 22.10. 2018 18:22 »
Evening All
Managed to source a better conrod today and yes Muskrat all the pieces are there for the timing side roller. Two bits of good news in one day but I don't expect this euphoric state to last for long. Thinking along the same lines as Swarfy and will spend any spare time polishing wheels or adjusting brakes while I wait for pistons and stuff to arrive. Gearbox is a high risk of stress item and must wait till I have a string of successes behind me.
Thanks for the input.
Pete

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 22.10. 2018 20:25 »
Nice looking S7. Had one for 8 years as a teenager and flogged it to death, i now know better.  *eek*

ELLIS

Offline PDMiller

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #27 on: 23.10. 2018 08:22 »
My Wife says it's the ugliest thing she has ever seen in her life. *eek* Some people have no appreciation of fine art

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 23.10. 2018 11:56 »
Hi Pete,
Back home and looked at the crank photo on the laptop
The quill for feeding the crank is still not there?
Is the crank drilled through from the threaded end?
Can You post a few photos of the inside of the timing cover if it has an oil feed boss added in, and the timing side end of the crank?
I'm wondering if it was an unfinished project or was the quill removed for some reason?????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 23.10. 2018 17:20 »
My Wife says it's the ugliest thing she has ever seen in her life. *eek* Some people have no appreciation of fine art

Mine is in mist green, and will have to go ... if I ever get it going again. It has migrated further from my field of view this weekend. Now in the shed with the mowers. Hopefully to lay undisturbed until at least the spring.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza