Author Topic: Wish list for manuals, Overhaul, service bulletins, and parts catalogs.  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
I've always found it difficult to cross reference the illustration of a particular part and its part number with the way BSA produced their parts manuals. You have to first identify the part in the illustration, take a note of the BSA part number (or list of numbers in some cases), then search for the number(s), which are all mixed up and don't seem to follow any logic - apart from being ad-hoc, on a separate page to find and check you have the found the correct part number applicable to your model.

This led me to make up my own parts book for my own use and relevant only to the models and years that are of interest to me (so leaving out the likes of the Spitfire and export models). It's basically how the Haynes manual did it but they didn't go so far as to give the BSA part numbers (see pics).

I find it so much easier to identify a part in the illustration, note the reference number beside it and to be able to cross reference it on the same page where I can see immediately the name of the part, the models it's applicable to, the number required and the BSA part number.  I don't print it but make an Acrobat file of it and access it that way on my PC.

I agree with you, Only some Weirdo engineer would ever organize such things that way ( I know a lot of people like that, their brains work differently than others)  And I find early Preunit Triumph books that way,, much improved starting in 1964 on the 650s (63 was a weird crossover) and early Nortons are just as maddening,. One exploded diagram you need a microscope to decipher and then 20 pages of part numbers.
Early AMC Matchless/AJS is that way too and Its a trivia pursuit contest to sort out a Hybrid Norton/matchless (N15, G15, P11)

I used to have shop customers who made up their own names for parts and was enough to push you over the edge.

I am working over the winter to downsize, parts, projects,Photos, tech materials,  collections and ORGANIZE!  This WILL take time!!!!  (Who wants to come visit and help???,, I had a helper for a few months
Dave S,, nice guy but I overwhelmed him and then he found a girlfriend with large breasts and that was the end of that)

I am ALWAYS Looking for MORE tech material though.. and will post a wish list soon of stuff I am looking for.   Here is 2 pictures of one part of my office.  1 of 4 filing cabinets (More in the shop) and one corner of my office sagging shelving, I have stacks of paper copies and books I have yet to work on.

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Hi All

I am willing to spend some time producing searchable version of these IF I can find a piece of software that produces a usable document.
Dont want to step on your toes Sluggo, but lets make them the best they can be.

Working on it.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I would like to see the riders manual for the Plungie
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
riders manual for the Plungie
owner \ instruction manual? > 54 plunger here https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=454.0 but a pdf would be nice.

but these posts go in Sluggo's "wish list" topic
edit: moved\merged

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Hi All

I am willing to spend some time producing searchable version of these IF I can find a piece of software that produces a usable document.
Dont want to step on your toes Sluggo, but lets make them the best they can be.

Working on it.

No worries from me Angus, More the merrier. I am compiling some OTHER material that is a little more special and that wont be shared for free, but thats a long term project.
 (in light of a certain wanker who resides in a penal colony who stole my work many years back, I am more careful what I share and how i share.)

*BUT* General parts books, workshop manuals and owners handbooks (and most service sheets) are fair game for anyone and nobody has the right to claim copyright or ownership.  I support the Matchless/AJS Club who did a lot of work freely sharing their material and NOTE it says for educational or club use only, not for commercial sale.   (THATS COOL!   *beer* )

But sensible editing and clean up is just good practice, I dont have time to make a career out of this, but will be working on it as time allows over the next year on a wide range of material.  (But I am writing several books as well, as I organize, i can divert some here)

If someone wants files as I get stuff digitized and wants to take a crack at sorting them out, PM me.  I dont work very fast so dont expect miracles. 

Also, I have a wide range of OTHER bikes and interests, If I have books you need I am willing to share most of them.

#### Note: Ducati has a page on their website and freely gives away tech material for many models and year bikes, Isnt that COOL as a manufacturer?? ####
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Sorry Sluggo. I post my comments in the document thread in error now deleted.
As I have said I tried to get some of the documents posted searchable using various OCR software but I failed either because of the quality of the scan or because the document was secured which stops editing. RogerSb's document is excellent as you can search it for anything and find all the references. I will continue to investigate.

1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
Angus - I've had similar failures trying to OCR old scans. fyi there are a range of password removers for PDFs - i use this one: http://www.weenysoft.com/free-pdf-password-remover.html. i doubt anyone has rights to claim copyright or restrict access to BSA published materials, except possibly Mahindra, so to me its fair game to take those bogus locks off and remove those dubious 'C' statements some scanners (scammers) add.

RogerSB's parts list is currently the best example of what I'd like to see more of.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
I noticed in Adobe how many of the files are "Secured" and dnot know but expect they can be defeated.  Possibly by saving or converting it into another file type.  I am certain it CAN be done.
I already have my hands full and dont have time to pursue it too far, But I will be scanning more stuff and talking to local print shops because NOW when a copier scans to print it CREATES digital files and that can easily be downloaded to a disc.  I *KNOW* that can be done and watched it being done recently.

But I need to research it more about what files and types these copiers/scanners use and what I should be using. 

Once that happens, I will be happy to share.   I got a part time helper who might be working for me off & on, will see how it works out, but will mostly be focusing in shop work getting my workshop back operational and then selling off inventory and projects.  (Narrowing the field)  But dont expect anything overnight, but there is progress and things are looking rosy.

(Minor kerfuffle late last night,, at 1:30 am heard while in my office a Swish-BANG! and knew what it was, grabbed my hit & run kit and just like the old days as first responder.   Lady drifted off the road doing around 60-65Mph and kerblang!  Clipped the back end of a log truck.  Spent from 1:30 am to 4:30 am doing rescue, secure the scene, and directing traffic and co-ordinating EMS & LE.  Sucks about the wreck, but she was lucky she is still alive.  Debris all over, cars totaled. Log truck-my neighbors only has scratch)

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
many of the files are "Secured" and dnot know but expect they can be defeated
Sluggo - use that software I linked to to 'unsecure' them

locking a pdf is optional and an extra step. not necessary. done by people trying not to share stuff. copiers and scanners won't 'secure' it without extra work.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS