Author Topic: New Member  (Read 734 times)

Offline ghl

• Active
« on: 24.10. 2018 07:49 »
Hi, I'm a guy in my forties who, as a child had a father who liked A10's (he had 3), so when I passed my test, the bike I got on the road was naturally an A10 - the only one I saw round the city I went to college in, and it was doing 250 miles/week...

Not normal in the 80's for a 17 year old to be riding a then 25+ year old bike when all my mates were running around on Super Dreams, 250 LC's and the like.

It sounded that rough, someone mistook it for a VW Beetle, so it was ridden home, parked in the garage and stayed there for 16 years. It then moved from my parents to my garage and has stayed there a further 14 years...

In the meantime, I've always ridden bikes of one japanese make or another.

So now 30 years after it was last run, it is being restored locally - plenty of surface rust on the chrome, frame still looking remarkably good and looking fairly original. The guy that is doing the engine rebuild loves the fact that it's still fairly original and that the only thing that's been seized are exhaust clamps and mountings.

I've joined the forum as I may have some daft questions about things I don't understand - about parts I've found in my fathers garage, that neither of us understand and to help out with answers when I do understand!!
Yorkshire

beezermacc

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 24.10. 2018 08:50 »
Hi there! You're very welcome. DaftquestionsRus on  this forum! The dafter the better. Good luck with your project. Where are you?

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.10. 2018 09:22 »
Great intro!
Has your engine chap experience with these engines? It's not that a good mechanic could not work on one, but there are some details that are not obvious. Primarily, muck collects inside the crankshaft oilways. This area is known as a Sludge Trap. It must be cleaned periodically. If you search this forum you will find recent discussions about this subject. 

Here's a recent thread: https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13615.0;topicseen

Perhaps you can encourage your engineer to join this forum.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.10. 2018 09:44 »
Crankshaft endfloat is another important detail to know about.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 24.10. 2018 12:14 »
Thanks for fine story, welcome aboard.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.10. 2018 13:36 »
Welcome ghl - the more daft questions you ask the better you make us feel ( having asked the same things at some point)  *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ghl

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 24.10. 2018 13:40 »
OK, 1st daft question - how do you insert the flag in the bottom of the posts/replies - ideally after UK flag and Yorkshire White Rose... (clue as to where I'm from!).

When you say sludge traps need cleaning periodically - is there any rule of thumb on how often that approximately is? 5K Miles, 10K Miles, etc.

The guy rebuilding for me has a local motorcycle business, his Dad also works with him. He has an A10 himself and works on allsorts of old and modern machines - they have James, Enfields, Levis, Triumph, etc and has a good name locally for all things bike - so hopefully he has a grip on what to look for but yes, the sludge trap was one of the things he'd looked at and shown me when I went round. It's a proper old garage where you go in and it smells of old oil & grease, etc.
The sludge trap has worked very well - everything including I think a kitchen sink was being held in the bottom end. We opened it up after a bit of effort and found it completely solid with what felt like grinding paste! It was bunged solid at both ends.
- The main bush was just on the edge of acceptable (hadn't damaged the crank) - so replaced
- The main bearing was OK (but replaced anyway)
- Big ends now to +010" oversize shells
- Bore I thought was at +040" and was worried whether I'd get +060" or if it'd already passed that - found at only +020" and just got away with +040"
- Mag is away getting overhauled
- Dynamo now to 12V as was dead as well (30 years stood probably didn't help)
- DVR2 regulator about to be fitted.

All looking good so far - can't wait to kick it off
Yorkshire

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.10. 2018 17:06 »
Sounds like you are already ahead of the game.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 24.10. 2018 18:02 »
Hi, welcome to the forum. I ask really daft questions so you can keep me company.  *smile*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.10. 2018 18:08 »
OK, 1st daft question - how do you insert the flag in the bottom of the posts/replies - ideally after UK flag and Yorkshire White Rose... (clue as to where I'm from!).

This should help with a UK flag. https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4465.0

I don't know how you'd find a Yorkshire White Rose icon. Maybe Admin can help. Lots of images here: https://goo.gl/KbBMDQ

Later: I grabbed one of those images and reduced it to 50 pixels wide. Erling/Admin, are you able to put this in the files section?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.10. 2018 18:20 »
When you say sludge traps need cleaning periodically - is there any rule of thumb on how often that approximately is? 5K Miles, 10K Miles, etc.
I don't have a figure for that. If the engine is being stripped JFDI!

I've put a third party oil filter on the oil return side of my engine, plus I run on traditional single grade SAE40 oil. Belt and braces, me!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 24.10. 2018 20:14 »
G'day GHL.  *welcome*
1st question sorted. County (Shire) flags not available, imagine the size of the list in just UK, Ireland let alone the rest of the world.
You haven't told us which model A10 you have.
Your first ride will open the floodgates of fond (and not fond) memories. Will dad be able to ride it?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #12 on: 24.10. 2018 23:08 »
hi  *wave* i'm just daft and even dafter after I've had a visit to the barlypopshop/pub.com

Offline ghl

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 25.10. 2018 11:25 »
Dad riding it... not sure - he hasn't ridden in over 30 years so may be not to be trusted with the pride and joy and still not sure how careful he'd be during running in...

Officially it's a 1963 Swinging Arm A10 Golden Flash in blue however think it'd been sat in a showroom for a while as frame and engine numbers equate to a late 1961 machine... May be just a sign of the times as well.

Am planning on putting a photo up on the 'Show Us Yours' section in a few days...
Yorkshire

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 25.10. 2018 13:27 »
Dad riding it... not sure - he hasn't ridden in over 30 years...
When I put my GF back on the road I hadn't ridden any two-wheelers more powerful than a pushbike for over 30 years. I was nervous about motorbiking again, but that soon wore off. I'm a lot more sensible on the road now than I was in my yoof!

As for being careful while running-in; there are widely differing views on the forum about how to break-in a new engine. I'm happy to do it the way the old handbooks and manuals describe.
A quote from a Wikipedia article on breaking-in a new engine looks good to me: 'normal use without excessive demands '

The whole article is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_(mechanical_run-in)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK