Author Topic: More wine  (Read 642 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
More wine
« on: 28.10. 2018 03:16 »
G'day fellas.
Whine in 3rd gear is normal. Beer, rum or muscat in me is normal.
Just done a bit of work on the Cafe's 57 s/a box. She now has a bit more whine (wish it was beer or rum) in 3rd than she used to.
I replaced the two layshaft bush's and a used but good (lot less worn) layshaft from a plunger box. Only difference is the fixed gear but position on the shaft is the same.
So now it shifts beautifully with no jump outs or false neutrals. The only thing I noticed is the volume of whine has increased by about 50%.
Why do they all whine in 3rd and why is mine getting drunk?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
Re: More wine
« Reply #1 on: 28.10. 2018 03:28 »
Hello Musky
I’m not an expert but was always taught that whining noises come from worn or mismatched gear teeth. Maybe some more swapping of cogs will help control it.
Steve

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 28.10. 2018 04:19 »
G'day Steve.
Yes that's true. The only "foreign" gear in there is the layshaft and gear. The only good shaft I have is a plunger type where the gear is different but only due to the circlip position on the shaft. The gear position is the same.
So I'll have to wait another 60 years till the two gears bed in *ex*.
But why does a box that's never been apart whine in 3rd *????*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.10. 2018 10:19 »
 my gearbox is built out of three pretty worn out sets of parts.

All the bushings and bearings are new. Main shaft is new, lay shaft was cleaned up with an external hone.

My gears are pretty worn, and not by each other.

Every other problem possible, but no whine.

I wonder if its possible your third gear mesh is "too" good, or just a little deeper because of new bushes?

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.10. 2018 12:16 »
Muskrat - presumably you changed the layshaft because the end was worn where it enters the blind bush? On both the A10 boxes I have (one S/A, the other plunger) the shaft end looked like a thread. As new shafts weren't available, I ground them down (in a cylindrical grinder, not by hand I hasten to add!) and turned up undersize bushes. Just to add to the fun, the S/A one was bent (how did that happen?) and it was with some trepidation that I put it in the press to straighten it. All OK now.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #5 on: 28.10. 2018 14:01 »
unlucky musky I rebuilt one months ago using bits that were resting and guess what NO wine errr whine the one I took out had a whine *dunno* maybe the whine will start now I've mentioned it

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.10. 2018 14:44 »

I did what RD did (weeell, had a mate to do it *smile*), but I 'pressed' the bushes in myself but even though he made them so the interference fit should work, they went tight after installation, so I had to ream them myself- had a couple of tight spots which I had to scrape with a craft knife *work*, then used a emery tape wrapped around a wooden dowel to finish them off.
  That was 14K miles ago and so far so good....that's in a early ( pre-'50? probably rigid) box, that I carefully replaced the gears with the best of a bunch because the dogs were knackered....doesn't whine too much- but at least I know what gear i'm in  *eek*

In addition, while I was researching RRT2 stuff, I came across a probably well known Gold Star site, and noticed that that in the project box, the oil hole to the layshaft needle roller L/S is in a different position to my Plungo one...dunno if it's unique to RRT2 or changed to all S/A boxes, but is at a point where I figure the oil is pumped to by the gears and then forced into the Needle bearing.....as hopefully apparent in pics.....dunno if it'll work better with bushes, but probably worth consideration

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia