Author Topic: S/A outer timing cover Wanted  (Read 2030 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
S/A outer timing cover Wanted
« on: 30.10. 2018 10:10 »
Anyone got a S/A outer timing cover that they want to sell?

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: S/A outer timing cover Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 30.10. 2018 17:28 »
one on ebay now £45 buy it now- can't give you the link but I just put in BSA A10 timing cover and it went straight to it. its in Lincoln

Offline RayC10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 30.10. 2018 17:34 »
Think 'I've got one if you get stuck, 'tis in Norfolk if you are ever passing by.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 31.10. 2018 08:05 »
one on ebay now £45 buy it now- can't give you the link but I just put in BSA A10 timing cover and it went straight to it. its in Lincoln
Berger, I did see that but it is collection only, and I am in the west country. I have seen a few others on ebay sadly all in America. The problem is, once you add on postage/shipping ect the actual cost is doubled. Royal Mail for example charge £15 admin fee just to collect VAT on entry to the U.K. and VAT is levied on the price payed for the item plus the postage/shipping charges.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 31.10. 2018 09:16 »
 Are S/A covers different to any other ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 31.10. 2018 09:39 »
  Are S/A covers different to any other ?[/quote][/quote]duTch I am not quite sure about that. I think that maybe plunger timing covers might be interchangeable. I do know that the rigid ones are different. I am not sure when the change over point was, but certainly there are two types of cover.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 31.10. 2018 09:51 »
 oh Yeah, sorry I knew the Longstroke ones are diffo, but just wondering about the 'post-longstrokes'....I was actually asking the same question of others last weekend...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 31.10. 2018 11:11 »
  There are two sorts of Longstroke covers. Early ones have a "Flat Bottom."  Prone to leakage, they were slightly modified to the later type (1949/50)  with an extra retaining bolt on the flat lower edge, so have a "Dimple"   These covers do not fit the Bert Hopwood later crankcase, despite the descriptions on your favourite auction site. The dynamo housing top edge is more horizontal  on these early cases, which have their own gaskets as well.

Post 1950 shortstroke crankcase both  Plunger and S/A engines covers are interchangeable castings  Some have "Carrots" below the piled arms logo.

For the more exotic variants, the covers are slightly different depending on the take off for the Tacho drive, either oilpump or maggie driven. These could be used on the basic engines with the drive blanked off.

At one time outer covers  were one of the most common items at autojumbles, and you could take your pick. Bit rarer now, but still a bit overpriced by some folks for such a simple casting. Think about something else and one will appear........

Works for me

Swarfy.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.10. 2018 20:15 »
And there are the ones with no shroud around the breather.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 01.11. 2018 05:49 »
There is three covers for the Longstroke. '47 type as Swarfy said, then later type, and Star Twin which has the Piled Arms.
59 Super Rocket 

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #10 on: 01.11. 2018 06:29 »
Are you looking for a plain one or one with the mounting for a rev counter?
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 01.11. 2018 09:26 »

Are S/A covers different to any other ?

What I really meant was "Are S/A covers different to any other *NON- Longstroke* covers'....so I did some research, and *as far as I can tell*, it seems the part numbers are the same for *standard* models after ~'51 for all pre or semi-units but the only difference is that the Road Rocket & early Super Rockets are Part # 67-712, same casting number for all, but the only difference being the machined rebate and 'hole' and threads for the tacho drive ...(later Super Rockets had the inner cover Tacho drive-hey I'm just learning this shit too *eek*) Trev can elaborate re; the breather shroud....
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #12 on: 01.11. 2018 10:12 »
Well, I've grasped the nettle and I have bought one from America. For some reason timing covers have got very expensive, and there are some very dubious examples around. One midlands dealer is asking £90. A sign of the times I suppose. What I was looking for was a plain cover. Thanks for your interest everyone. I am now looking for a set of stainless timing cover screws. There seems to be plenty of cheese head screws about, but the screws should be fillister head screws (is that how you spell it?) I can't seem to find any, does anybody know of a source? It's not crucial cheese heads will do the job but it would be a nice detail touch.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 01.11. 2018 10:38 »
 'Fillister' sounds good enough to me...but I think 'Cheesey' heads is probably 'more righter' ... if you're going stainless which aren't standard anyway and " It's not crucial " , I won't be offended if you use socket caps... *smile*  I found the sets I bought weren't the right length anyway, so maybe measure them up ..
 You may have to lap the mating faces for 'oil-tight'- oh yeah *dunno* and any chance you can bash up  a piccie of the inside when it arrives ? just out of curiousity ??

Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #14 on: 01.11. 2018 10:55 »
any chance you can bash up  a piccie of the inside when it arrives ? just out of curiousity ??
Yeah I'll do that