Author Topic: Gearbox woes  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: Gearbox woes
« Reply #30 on: 15.07. 2018 14:05 »
Thanks John,
I just ordered a 21 tooth sprocket from a bloke here in Oz. It is fairly flat around here, so I hope that should suit.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 15.07. 2018 19:11 »
Hi Colin,
Its hilly enough here in Southern Ireland, but the SR doesn't seem too bothered about them  *woo*
I had a 24 on it for a while but two up needed more gear changing than I liked, it was fine solo though
A few years ago I took the SR to the Swiss Alps, it was fine with the 23 tooth sprocket. two up *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 15.07. 2018 23:22 »
John,
I will see how the 21 tooth goes. Otherwise I have standard 19T Gearbox and standard Clutch and rear sprockets. The bike is a very standard Golden Flash, flat top pistons at 7.25:1 etc. So maybe 21 T should work OK. I'll rarely double up except in emergencies, so solo always.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 02.08. 2018 04:30 »
John,
The 21-tooth is great! In time, a 22-tooth may be suitable.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline PDMiller

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 24.11. 2018 18:59 »
Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I've been on for days trying to get my gearbox to work . It was selecting the gears no problem with the outer cover off but as soon as that was re-fitted the gears wouldn't select. I bought a new selector claw but it made no difference. *pull hair out* With Colsbeeza's theory in mind I noticed that the claw was made from material thicker than 3/16" and this seemed to be stopping  the claw from presenting square to the quadrant. With the cover off and the selector shaft in place on the inner cover it's easier to see than explain.
using a grinder I reduced the thickness of the claw where it touched the stop plate to 3/16" and it works a treat now. *lol*. The gearbox has never run but would appear to have been re-built by the previous owner and it would seem that he fitted a new thicker claw so I had no original to compare. When the claw arrived it had a note in the package saying that it might need "some fettling" to get it to fit on the shaft.
An exercise in character building if ever there was one. If there had been a skip handy the box might've ended up in it.
All well in the frozen north tonight but I won't test it again in case it was all a dream and it stops working. *red*